Poutine

RdKetchup

Snow Mexican Surender Monkey
DONOR
Car(s)
FoRS, Japanese touring triple
The time as come for a dedicated thread for this incredible feat of gastronomy, worthy of infinite Michelin starts.

I will start by copying the posts I made in the general food thread.

https://forums.finalgear.com/threads/food-the-thread-that-started-this-section.7703/post-2968424

Poutine

Poutine

As a Quebecer, I feel like Poutine should deserve it's own thread, but since I have very little content for now, I'll stick it in here.

If you ever spend a few days in Montreal, and want to try the gourmet meal that is a Poutine, you need to go to "La Banquise". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Banquise

They have a huge variety of Poutine, and are open 24h a day. Late at night (around 3am, when the bar close), the scene can get quite entertaining :p

One of my favorite poutine over there is the Kamikaze. Start with a regular poutine, add merguez sausage, hot peppers and Tabasco sauce.

IMG_20131115_123600.jpg

https://forums.finalgear.com/threads/food-the-thread-that-started-this-section.7703/post-2981655

Poutine, Part II

Poutine, Part II

Continued from.

Tried 2 different specialty Poutine at Sesame.

I had the Thai (bottom of the picture), and my girlfriend had the General Tao (top of the picture).

IMG_20131210_152037.jpg

(Sorry for the horrible picture, didn't realize it was so out of focus).

The General Tao is not bad, a bit weird, definitely not my favorite, but still interesting.

The Thai however was a bit disappointing. The Thai sauce just didn't seem to be a good match to the rest of the poutine.

Also, in both variety I thought that the breaded chicken was too dry and crispy.

Now, one of my favorite. The "Magnan" poutine with black pepper sauce, at Taverne Chez Magnan.

Like most meals containing the "Magnan" suffix, this means a variation on a classic by adding roast beef (the specialty of that restaurant).

IMG_20131212_195428.jpg

The black pepper sauce by itself transforms the poutine, but the added chunks of roast beef brings it to a whole new level.

I probably have, I just refused to acknowledge it.

Ermagerd, these look fantastic!! I bookmarked La Banquise as a need-to-visit if we're ever in Montreal.

When you do poutine at home, how do you do the frites generally?

I'm loving the different fusions. :woot:

We've got a Breville deep frier, so we peel and cut the potatoes and fry them.

La Banquise is definitely a spot to try, both for the Poutine and the ambiance.

Unfortunately, my other favorite spot, La Taverne Magnan closed down a few years ago :cry:

I love poutine. A small handful of places makes it in London and I always order it if given the choice.

We've got a Breville deep frier, so we peel and cut the potatoes and fry them.

Oh man, +1 to Breville because those frites with your homemade poutine look legit!

Oh man, +1 to Breville because those frites with your homemade poutine look legit!

The wife has found the perfect way to do them, I believe she triple-fry them :drool:

The wife has found the perfect way to do them, I believe she triple-fry them :drool:

WOW... triple fried.. maybe with a beer batter? Ermagerd, if I ever can successfully sneak a new home appliance into the house (hopefully the roommate doesn't check this section), you know I'll be hitting you two up for tips and recipes. ?

I wanna die of Poutine overdose when I visit you.