What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

Also treated HWF3.0 and I to a trip to the Chichester Festival Theatre last night to see the Olivier Award winning touring production of A Monster Calls.

Utterly brilliant. I never got around to watching the movie version, but it's one hell of a story, kicked us both right in the feels and left us speechless for a good half hour afterwards.

My Black and Decker Mouse sander crapped out on me last night with a loud bang, bright flash and a lingering smell of ozone.

Cue a Bosch replacement....

...and matching sanding sheets. Clever design to the tip of the sheets to get maximum use. Hoping that the shape reminiscent of a Wankel rotor isn't an indicator of reliability.
067465980e4a69970a76ff0714f28ab8.jpg
5ce1e32ecad93a1ec13aaacc36fbf375.jpg

Come on, you should have bought replacement smoke instead of a new sander... :p

I know, the website states it's for wiring harnesses, but the industry wants to believe that so we don't use the replacement smoke on other electrical items which released their in-built smoke. Believe me, I have fixed so many items with replacement smoke it's uncanny...

Speaking of sanders, after seeing it in a Giaco Whatever video I went and bought what could be the smallest bench belt sander in existence. Cost me £30.

61OZfJywAmL._SL1000_.jpg
61Ks1eoAtsL._SL1000_.jpg

It's a simple device with a basic motor and no electronics, but that means it should be pretty much bulletproof. It accepts 12V to 24V so I can have control over the speed if I want. I'm currently working on a centre console panel for Bob and having this to round the edges of sheet aluminium, while taking up two thirds of bugger all space is great.

I think I need to add the option for a second fixing to keep the platform in the horizontal position though, it currently wants to fold down as shown above.

Last edited:
My 5th tire in 12 months. Thankfully, until this one, it's been a different tire each time...and this one was the same as the first (oldest) one. So...yay, I guess.

Shoes, because that's what you need during lockdown!

Also purchased larger quantities of wine as actually useful lockdown stuff.

Brogues are perfectly acceptable with jeans. I'd lose the rockabilly hipster turn ups though.

But how else would people then know his jeans are selvedge?

Jokes aside, I think the combination actually looks good, in a rockabilly, non-hipster way.

I've long made peace with me being a heritage hipster, I don't even see the term "hipster" as an insult any more. It's outdated since hipsterism very much was a early 2010s phenomenon, but it's not per so insulting.

Reactions: MWF
Oh, OK then. I figured out the term was still somewhat pejoratively used when describing people that are interested in vintage fashion, but only ironically and/or superficially.

I've long made peace with me being a heritage hipster, I don't even see the term "hipster" as an insult any more. It's outdated since hipsterism very much was a early 2010s phenomenon, but it's not per so insulting.
Are you saying you were a hipster before it was cool? ;)

I do however maintain the only reason you did a Ph.D is to avoid spending the rest of your life sounding like one of these...

58658_1.jpg

Walked 12 kilometers in the new shoes to fetch bottled cocktails from a bar. Now my feet hurt but I can already feel these shoes being super comfortable once broken in.

It's 2020 so it was time to buy my first new vinyl record. I was introduced to Look Mum No Computer last week and I've really enjoyed his stuff, the crafty git has instrumentals exclusive to the EP and since it's all about the synths I wanted to hear them. Currently playing the instrumental version of Damage Is Done as I write this. Image from his site:

NewHPVinyl_1024x1024@2x.png

Linky

It's a new experience playing a vinyl record and not having a single crackle or pop, everything else I have played has been at least 20 years old. Previously the newest I owned was the Cardigans and Faithless version of My Favourite Game from Gran Turismo 2.

Could really see myself getting into synthesisers with all of the modules he sells but I'm already out of space and don't need yet another expensive hobby to go with the ten or whatever it is that I already have.

Will have to post my latest vinly purchases later, but for now...

I got new shoes that again won't find @IceBone approval. @_Jules_ as well.

Also, I got a new shirt!

EDIT:

Pattern closeup!

Last edited:
That's a great pattern on the shirt, I should send that to Techmoan as it seems to be right up his street. I feel sorry for anyone who upsets you while you're wearing those shoes.