State of the Forum vs Telegram

I've actually left Telegram for many reasons. I was letting it and other social media run my life and damage real life relationships and experiences instead of living in the moment and refocusing/reducing my use of such apps has helped immensely.

This COVID thing has caused my shitposting on Facebook to creep up because I'm bored at home most of the time but after it dies down I'll revert back to occasional check ins.

Anyway, I've been trying to make more of a effort to post here and I'm getting back into the threads I love. I'll probably start posting car news again because I'll be sitting around all day anyway at home.

I'm still on a few Telegram channels but I have them muted to avoid constant phone buzzing, so I forget they exist..

I'm not a big fan of the whole "one big stream of consciousness" layout. I prefer the more organised layout of forums, although it does make the place seem even more deserted.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "one big stream of consciousness" layout. I prefer the more organised layout of forums, although it does make the place seem even more deserted.

We have random thoughts threads.

We have random thoughts threads.
I was just going to say, this is the only forum I know of where half the discussion is in a single decade-old thread 4000 pages long.

For me, it's multiple factors driving me to Telegram:

a) Top Gear as we know it is dead so the whole Topgear forum section is dead

b) My life moved on. I used to lurk hours and hours in front of my PC, playing online, surfing the net etc. etc.. Now, I basically just browse on my phone, I don't even have a real PC any more, just a tiny laptop for Por......Amazon. I spend most time outside, with my GF, friends or at work, it is just much more convenient for me to glance at Telegram (which I use with other people outside FG as well) and read up in the two FG groups I am in, compared to actually open a browser, go to Finalgear, log in, see if any threads in a bazillion of subforums are interesting. I did cut down on the number of Telegram groups I follow as well, since it was too much FG spam and some people were.......annoying.

c) The forum culture was very toxic, I will not name people here, but there were certain users actively driving people out of the forums.

d) The forums feel to me like a thing Viper did, I am torn between keeping them alive in his memory or letting them rest with him. Everytime I log in I see the banner of Alex and it makes me sad.

e) The people I interact most on Finalgear are people I met in real life during meets, and all these people are on telegram. Now this might feel like a closed group, but it is in fact very open - for me, it is about making friendships or lifelong enemies (HI ICE) and creating memories. This doesn't work for me in a forum or telegram, it works by meeting people IRL. My point is, Telegram was used to organise Ringmeets, Roadtrips and Finnmeet, therefore all the people I interact IRL are on telegram, which removes the point of forums for me if you get me.
If you use Tapatalk you can subscribe to the threads that interest you and ignore the rest.

There aren't any restrictions on making threads for a question or topic. Point in case: There is a thread exclusively about balls and manipulation of said articles.
I love my balls thread so much.

I was just going to say, this is the only forum I know of where half the discussion is in a single decade-old thread 4000 pages long.
Every forum I've been on for at least the past 10 years has had that. 4000 pages is a baby.

I was on one such forum where the author of some prominent forum software told us we were using forums wrong when we kept breaking it with enormous megathreads.

Also: There's a telegram?

So its safe to say the IRC server/channel is dead? :/

Would anyone be interested in a "new" channel on like Quakenet?

I miss kicking Zeeall off IRC as a +hop, haha. I haven't been able to use it in a while and sort of gave up on it. IDK if it's a Colloquy issue on my end, or if it's dead-dead.

It's dead-dead. Has been for awhile. With everyone using Telegram, I think most people forgot about IRC

Now that I had a short look into telegram because of FG Roadtrip/Ringmeet group I can sorta understand the appeal of it.

Sure, I have used WathsApp for longer, but only with the GF, close family members and a very small number of good friends. And I have everybody on his or hers own channel, basicly I just misuse Whatsapp as a faster version of e-mail. - I also have very tight guidelines, there wiill be no cutesy-funny nonsene dinging my phone, thank you. - I have to filter enough crap as it is and a day has still only 24hrs.

Wonder how people cope with being ony many different telegram groups at the same time? - I cannot even keep up with one.