The "Things that annoy me" thread

I ordered a custom-made guitar in December. But, they caught an error along the way, and it had to get rebuilt, so some delay. Then, pandemic...so more delay. Then it shipped the day it was completed, but FedEx was supposed to dleiver yesterday "by the end of the day" . Then at 6PM, it got changed to "Schedules Delivery: Pending - No scheduled delivery date available at this time.". Since it's 8:30 AM and isn't yet marked as "out for delivery", I have a feeling it won't be delivering today. The package arrived to their warehouse yesterday at 3am, its less than 10 minutes away, but it's set up so that it can't be picked up....it has to be delivered to the address, and signed-for. I pushed out my bi-weekly grocery store trip to today, but I guess I'll be staying in, and I have to work the next 4 days. I know..."1st world problem" thread crossover?

7 days later, and it's still "delivery: pending". Supposedly there's a full trailer that arrived to the hub over a week ago that still hasn't been unloaded.

Same for my trail-gator, was supposed to be delivered last Monday, hopefully it will be this Monday.

7 days later, and it's still "delivery: pending". Supposedly there's a full trailer that arrived to the hub over a week ago that still hasn't been unloaded.

Finally...scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Granted, this is now the 4th scheduled delivery for them, but I'm hopeful for this one since it's been radio silence for like a week. 14.5 days to go from California to California. 1.5 days to get to less then 2 miles from me, then 13 days for the last bit.

Fiiiinally got it. Although hilariously, FedEx never scanned it for delivery. According to tracking, there's no delivery scheduled yet...they said no delivery attempt was made, and that there was an exception. Delivery is now "pending".

Annoyance:
I keep buying face masks that have ear loops, and they are all too short. I asume they do it to get a good fit around the face, but then they pull on my ears very uncomfortably. I've seen those plastic bands with hooks (aka 'ear savers'), but these masks' loops are so sort, that I'd have to really pull on them to get them to hook onto even the widest hooks (if they'd even reach), and then they would be pulled too tightly to my face to be comfortable.

TLDR: more companies should make masks with around-the-back-of-the-head straps. I have one with non-stretchy cord, and a sort of spring retention clip, and that works brilliantly. i can even loosen it to drop it down out of my way, and then re-tighten it to bring it back up to my face without every touching the mask...but that one was $20. I still need a few more, and that adds up quick.

Fiiiinally got it. Although hilariously, FedEx never scanned it for delivery. According to tracking, there's no delivery scheduled yet...they said no delivery attempt was made, and that there was an exception. Delivery is now "pending".

Sweet!!! I'm saving up for a custom guitar. Probably gonna be an Explorer model or a Jackson Kelly.

I am currently without power and it is hot.

if the power company is right, it should only be another 30 minutes, but this is a pain.

I know how much that sucks, I've had to deal with that for a week after a hurricane.

I love satin sheets but satin pillow covers on satin sheets. Though I love wearing satin bottoms for the same reason. It makes the whole thing very confusing.

I am currently without power and it is hot.

if the power company is right, it should only be another 30 minutes, but this is a pain.

They were wrong! I went more than 5 hours without power... It is now back and all is well.

I know how much that sucks, I've had to deal with that for a week after a hurricane.

I have gone a long weekend without before, so I know where you are coming from. I am lucky I missed Northeast Blackout of 2003 by 6 miles or so. I lost power for a few hours, but I knew a lot of people that went without for most of that two weeks.

It's understandable that lots of people own generators in the US, is there much uptake of solar power with things like the Powerwall?

It's understandable that lots of people own generators in the US, is there much uptake of solar power with things like the Powerwall?

There are a few in our neighborhood

Sort of? But not Tesla stuff. A few people have solar panels on their roofs but that is from heavy sales tactics and easy financing. My dad was telling me about it and basically said “I’m not taking a *names multi-year* year loan (I’m going by memory, it was a long time) on something I won’t see a payback on anytime soon.” He has a point.

Usually around the Chicago suburbs, power outages are in older neighborhoods where the lines are still above ground and are either old lines/equipment or trees hanging over lines.My folks are in a planned subdivision that has all utility lines underground so they don’t have an issue. Where I live is a different story because it’s an area with houses from the 1920s. Power does it get lost sometimes in heavy storms, usually when there’s a ton of wind.The way it happens it’s as if a circuit breaker is blown. When it goes out, I report it to the power company via their website and it comes back within a few hours, not a big deal. When I first moved in, it was semi-common during a heavy rain storm and the longest outage was about 18 hours, normally it’s 4-6 hours. I have a small generator that I can hook up my fridge, some lamps and my small room A/C unit. While I can’t power my entire home, I can survive and not lose all of my cold food stuff. Worst case, I have a mini fridge in the basement so if I have other power needs but still need some sort of fridge, it’s possible. I also have a “cheater” cable that allows me to wire up to my heating system should I have an outage in colder weather. That should be less of a load because it’s just a water pump and a gas valve. Does it suck that power isn’t always there? Sure. Does it happen so often that every time it rains or weather turns I have to worry? Not at all. Thankfully, I think the power company finally got their shit together and started trimming trees each spring and they’ve upgraded old transformers.

———————

Annoyance tonight, I went for a drive and was partially blinded when every biker was behind me or coming the opposite way. I get that you want to be seen but come on, aim your lights! It seems bikers got deals to replace their halogens with those not an LED or HID but some whiter temperature light that does not work with current housings bikes have.

This power outage revived the discussion about getting panels and a battery system here. Maybe this fall if I catch a deal on panels.

I grew up in homes that didn't have A/C at all. In the one we lived in the longest, there was a big fan in an upstairs window that pulled air through the house. Most of the other windows in the house had screens. In the summers, we'd set up beds in the dining room to take advantage of the cool night air. Ohio is HOT and HUMID in the summer - and I remind myself quite often of how much I appreciate whole-house A/C!

Edit: Some other thoughts on this topic. In the '50s, I'd guess that - maybe - 1 out of 75 homes had an air conditioner. And even then, it was a window-unit that didn't cool all that well. I can remember when the Griffiths - the father was a well-to-do architect - installed the first A/C unit on our block. Most stores didn't have A/C either. Supermarkets and grocery stores were the first to jump on the A/C band wagon... it just made sense because fresh fruit and meat lasted longer. I can remember very well when the local Penney's store installed A/C (probably around 1960) because they put little stickers on their doors that said: "Come in - it's cool inside!".

The world has changed a lot since I was a kid! Some of it I like, but other parts of it either disturb or embarrass me...

Last edited:
I grew up in homes that didn't have A/C at all. In the one we lived in the longest, there was a big fan in an upstairs window that pulled air through the house. Most of the other windows in the house had screens. In the summers, we'd set up beds in the dining room to take advantage of the cool night air. Ohio is HOT and HUMID in the summer - and I remind myself quite often of how much I appreciate whole-house A/C!

Edit: Some other thoughts on this topic. In the '50s, I'd guess that - maybe - 1 out of 75 homes had an air conditioner. And even then, it was a window-unit that didn't cool all that well. I can remember when the Griffiths - the father was a well-to-do architect - installed the first A/C unit on our block. Most stores didn't have A/C either. Supermarkets and grocery stores were the first to jump on the A/C band wagon... it just made sense because fresh fruit and meat lasted longer. I can remember very well when the local Penney's store installed A/C (probably around 1960) because they put little stickers on their doors that said: "Come in - it's cool inside!".

The world has changed a lot since I was a kid! Some of it I like, but other parts of it either disturb or embarrass me...

We did not get air conditioning until the mid 80s, and then it was a window unit. We did have a swimming pool about 10 years before that, so at least we could jump in the pool to cool down.

Forgot to put in another annoyance...

With everyone reporting from home these days, it is absolutely amazing how many smoke alarms I hear beeping to warn of a low battery. Is it that hard to change the battery??????? Change it so we don't have to listen to that electronic cricket!

The packaging of Bays brand english muffins. The plastic outter "bag" is impossible to open without a tear going rogue, and splitting halfway down the packing, making it imposible to properly close the package with a clip or tie, especially with the open-top cardboard tray.