Someone Else's Problem: Oh no, they've got another one - leviathan's MX-5 NC

Owning cars you don't drive very often? No idea what you're talking about. :p

Personally I know I'm going to miss having the open air experience once in a while when the Smart is gone.

- AC is still broken. Went in for a discounted AC service at Euromaster, was told that a) it seems to not hold pressure, but they're unsure because b) they don't have the necessary equipment for the kind of gas this car uses at that specific location -.-

Er, what?

Anything made between like 1992 and 2014 or so should have R134a, regardless of make and model. I wasn't aware that any other gas even existed.

Its replacement (R1234yf) started appearing on new models around 2012-2013 or so, but AFAIK car manufacturers weren't required to move to the new gas on older models already in production. My current car uses R134a, as did my 1994 Volvo back in the day.

Anything made between like 1992 and 2014 or so should have R134a, regardless of make and model. I wasn't aware that any other gas even existed.

Its replacement (R1234yf) started appearing on new models around 2012-2013 or so, but AFAIK car manufacturers weren't required to move to the new gas on older models already in production. My current car uses R134a, as did my 1994 Volvo back in the day.
I was told the NC actually does use R1234yf, and they could only service R134a at that location. Reading up on a service manual I have though, that seems bollocks - it should be R134a as you say. Maybe the dudes at that place were just incompetent, in which case, just as well that I'm going to a different location - one I have positive experience with already :)

The AC guy probably had a brainfart. :)

Or was just useless :-D
Apparently that's what's happened, yeah.

Went to the other location today. Zero problems, dude drove the car in, hooked it up to an automated thingie and walked away for half an hour. The thingie automatically removed the old gas (R134a ofc and not something else), did a leak check, and refilled with new, all with no issues whatsoever. Looks like there aren't any leaks, it just hasn't been serviced in years (possibly ever). Thanks @D-Fence for the Euromaster discount hint, this was ultimately fairly cheap and quick, and the A/C works again now.

The Volvo's the first car I've owned with *knocks on wood* carefree, cold and reliably functioning A/C. Invaluable really.

10-15 years ago most finns were happy as long as the AC worked but didn't bother to do anything about it when it failed. Nowadays it seems to be on Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs next to food and water, just before wireless internet. :D I've had AC in my cars since 2004 or so, a couple of them being utter lemons, but I have yet to have a single AC failure. @public, can I borrow your wood to knock on? :p Anyway, if it breaks I'll fix it and I don't care what the cost is.

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-10 at 10.20.53.jpeg

7/10 perfect fun car, most fun one I've had so far anyway. Went for a last drive through the Taunus hills yesterday, would lie if I said I didn't get a little bit emotional. Would recommend and buy again.

Things I didn't love: ride height and SUV-ish looks, color.

Things I loved: pretty much everything else.

She's on the way to Mannheim with the new owner now. Will come back in a couple weeks for the two winter tires that didn't fit :D Gotta love how useless it actually is when viewed practically, and how it utterly doesn't matter in the slightest.