The "Things that annoy me" thread

There was actual toast that was burning. It wasn't a little singed either, it was nearly on fire.

By the way, the worst thing I ever smelled was Lake Erie after an algae bloom that killed off thousands of fish. It was truly horrid after a week.

Was in Ft. Meyers while a hurricane was in the Gulf and apparently that means red tide happens killing a ton and washed up on the beaches. thankfully the hotel we were at had a tractor out each morning clearing the fish, others weren't so nice.

Probably not nearly as bad, but around here in the "south bay" area, basically anywhere south of the Dumbarton Bridge, low tide smells a lot like how I'd imagine a sick baby fish's diaper might smell.

New annoyance:

When a shipping company (*cough*UPS*cough*) gives you the option to sign up for status updates, but doesn't let you add any sort of name or identifying information. So now I'm getting 22 tracking status emails, but have to have a separate spreadsheet to keep track of which shipment is what, because I can't just add the word "Magnets" to the emails for one, "rug" to another, etc.

No, I'm not building a levitating magic carpet.

Probably not nearly as bad, but around here in the "south bay" area, basically anywhere south of the Dumbarton Bridge, low tide smells a lot like how I'd imagine a sick baby fish's diaper might smell.

New annoyance:

When a shipping company (*cough*UPS*cough*) gives you the option to sign up for status updates, but doesn't let you add any sort of name or identifying information. So now I'm getting 22 tracking status emails, but have to have a separate spreadsheet to keep track of which shipment is what, because I can't just add the word "Magnets" to the emails for one, "rug" to another, etc.

No, I'm not building a levitating magic carpet.

So it was you that's causing a magnetic transformation on the earth!

This has been a thing since I moved to where I live now. The neighborhood is nice, it's quiet, old, has big trees with lots of shade, little to no noise of busy throughways. Nice, right?

Well, it is except for a couple things. 1 weeds grow like crazy, the dirt must be super fertile or something. 2. I can't seem to keep my windows open. At dusk-night it's the worst as nocturnal animals wake up, like skunks! That smell drifts in every night in the summer. There's so much skunk, opossum, raccoon activity that it causes little brawls at night which makes Hank my beagle go bonkers. On top of that, the whole south face of my house is a driveway width and a bit away from the neighbors which means the heavy smokers who come out at all hours of the day because cigarettes are a cure-all for some. This means the entire south side of the house can never have the windows open lest I deal with 2nd hand smoking soaking into things.

I tolerate/hate living here.

I hate it when quiz questions in recurrent online trainings are ambiguous.

Thanks for making me feel stupid. usually when you order something that's got quite a few parts in it, the part number in the book is for just the large item. In today's "why the fuck do we run a separate system from Germany's that has no pictures" I assumed by ordering "Gasdrossel DN100" meant just the butterfly valve was going to be in it, turns out its the entire fucking kit. So now I have a parts order for a customer that includes 2 $700 actuators and the small ancillary parts that is needed for it to work.

DN100 butterfly valve.jpg

I hate it when quiz questions in recurrent online trainings are ambiguous.

Q: Have you ever money?

Multiple choices:
a) True
b) 3
c) a
d) Sometimes
e) Prefer not to say
f) All of the above

This has been a thing since I moved to where I live now. The neighborhood is nice, it's quiet, old, has big trees with lots of shade, little to no noise of busy throughways. Nice, right?

Well, it is except for a couple things. 1 weeds grow like crazy, the dirt must be super fertile or something. 2. I can't seem to keep my windows open. At dusk-night it's the worst as nocturnal animals wake up, like skunks! That smell drifts in every night in the summer. There's so much skunk, opossum, raccoon activity that it causes little brawls at night which makes Hank my beagle go bonkers. On top of that, the whole south face of my house is a driveway width and a bit away from the neighbors which means the heavy smokers who come out at all hours of the day because cigarettes are a cure-all for some. This means the entire south side of the house can never have the windows open lest I deal with 2nd hand smoking soaking into things.

I tolerate/hate living here.

Oh nice, new smells outside in the morning, hairspray mixed with cigarette. :sick2:

Damn, that blows - literally...

I bought a new set of wheels for my gravel bike so I can swap quickly between gravel and road tires without taking the tires off the rims. Everything arrived today so I set off to assemble it all. The first wheel went very good, I didn't even had any problems getting the second bead over the rim. On the second wheel I had to take tire levers to get the tire on the rim, but I finally managed to get them on. When I pumped the tire up the inner tube blew and I didn't order a third inner tube for that size. All the spare inner tubes I have are for tires 28 mm wide and upwards, but the new tires are 25 mm. I might have pinched the inner tube when I wrestled the tire on the rim with the tire levers.

Well, patching up a brand new inner tube was always on my bucket list... :roll:

[edit]
Really? Patched up the inner tube, inserted it, pumped it up and it blew again! I'll fix it once more, but if it blows again I'll just throw it out of the window...
[/edit]

Last edited:
I once ruined a rim while pumping up an inner tube. It went bang with a bit of fanfare near the seam in the rim and bent the edges completely out of shape.

Well, found the culprit: the pre-installed rim tape is apparently faulty so one of the holes for the spoke nipples is currently open. I checked the rim before I installed the tires, there was only the hole for the valve. This means the hole in the rim tape opened when the first inner tube blew, afterwards there was no resistance there so the inner tube blew again. Apparently I installed the inner tube in the other direction when I installed it the second time, that's why it didn't blow in the same place...

Well, I still have my old set of wheels, but with gravel tires. Since I'm planning on cycling mainly on the road I'll just install the road tire on the old rear wheel...

yep, been there, done that. Nothing sucks more than removing a brand new inner tube only to discover the hole in it bears a striking resemblance to whatever tool you used to install it. Oops. Oh well.

I've now learned to do it without tools, and that has helped massively.

That and the "big bulge where the valve is" are 2 massive time consumers...

Last night, while I was flossing my teeth, the floss disintegrated between some of my right-side lower teeth. Using more floss made it even worse and during the night, I had nightmares (okay, I can't prove the connection between those two, but still). This morning, after breakfast, I could pull some strings of the floss, but I'm not sure I pulled them all out. I'll see if I'll be able to floss between those teeth normally tonight.

Last night, while I was flossing my teeth, the floss disintegrated between some of my right-side lower teeth. Using more floss made it even worse and during the night, I had nightmares (okay, I can't prove the connection between those two, but still). This morning, after breakfast, I could pull some strings of the floss, but I'm not sure I pulled them all out. I'll see if I'll be able to floss between those teeth normally tonight.

Try "dental tape" rather than standard string floss

I'll definitely see if it's available here. I think I used it once or twice in the past, it's much better indeed.

im not saying its life changing but its superior in every way

It's one of those things for me like tubeless toilet paper. Why isn't this the standard! It's like if we still sold black and white TV's right next to color for the same price and the majority of people bought the B&W.