Covid 19 CRISIS

Oh hey, Russia is first on a “vaccine” while Putin uses his own daughter as a test subject.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill...riff-no-face-masks_n_5f3452e7c5b6960c066ff5e7

Florida Sheriff In COVID-19 Hot Spot Decrees No Face Masks For Deputies

Florida Sheriff Billy Woods refuses to be part of a cover-up ― so he is forbidding his deputies and staffers from wearing face masks at work.

Woods, the sheriff of Marion County in central Florida, made the no-masks decree in an email to staffers on Tuesday. He insisted he took the risks of spreading COVID-19 into his decision.

“Now, I can already hear the whining and just so you know I did not make this decision easily and I have weighed it out for the past 2 weeks,” Woods said in the email, according to Ocala.com.

Woods made the decision despite the overwhelming recommendation of epidemiologists and other health experts who say face masks and social distancing are key ways to slow the spread of the coronavirus, according to The Washington Post.

“We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” he said in his email.

Exceptions will be made for deputies at jails, schools, courthouses, hospitals and nursing homes, and for interactions with those who are elderly or have COVID-19.

Woods said visitors to the sheriff’s office also won’t be allowed to wear masks so they can be easily identified and there is clear communication, The Associated Press reported.

Woods told deputies to tell citizens who complain about the lack of a mask to ”politely and professionally tell them ‘I am not required to wear a mask nor will I, per the Order of the Sheriff’ and then walk away from them,” according to WFTV-TV.

The timing of the no-mask decree couldn’t be worse:

Marion County ― population 370,000 ― has had nearly 6,800 confirmed coronavirus cases and 104 deaths since the start of the pandemic, according to NPR.org.

Ironically, Marion reported a single-day record of 13 deaths on Tuesday, the same day the sheriff declared deputies could not wear masks.

In addition, 43 sheriff’s office employees and more than 200 inmates at the Marion County Jail have tested positive for the coronavirus so far.

Florida Sheriff In COVID-19 Hot Spot Decrees No Face Masks For Deputies
insanity

I don’t know who can sign death warrants in “his” county, but this Sheriff just put his name under a bunch of them.

Saliva-based coronavirus test funded by NBA, NBPA gets emergency authorization from FDA

SalivaDirect, is designed for widespread public screening. The cost per sample could be as low as about $4, though the cost to consumers will likely be higher than that -- perhaps around $15 or $20

simple enough to be used by labs everywhere provided they go through required accreditation processes

results back within a few hours -- and definitely within 24 hours
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29667299/fda-allowing-saliva-based-test-funded-nba

FLORIDA HITS RECORD 10,000 COVID DEATHS! The state joins New York, New Jersey, California and Texas OPEN UP THE SCHOOLS!

Last edited:
To put in a bit of mild-hearted content, I just received the invitation for the annual general meeting of my housing corporation. Instead of the usual venue of some restaurant, they use a large tent on the courtyard / playground of the local youth centre. :thumbsup:
No, an online meeting would not be feasible given the high average age and thus low level of digital competence of the members.

I was on a tram this evening and some people from the operator boarded along with me. Turns out it wasn’t a ticket inspection (although they did have the devices for that on them), but a mask inspection! One guy who wasn’t wearing one because he had forgotten it was promptly asked to leave. Probably went straight onto the following train, but it’s still nice that they’re checking and enforcing the rule.

Make no mistake Covid isn't gone it's only a matter of time before the numbers jump

This is correct. More concerning is the reports coming out of Hong Kong of people re-infecting. so it seems inmunity to the virus lasts about six months.

I want to get off Mr. Covid's Wild Ride.

This is correct. More concerning is the reports coming out of Hong Kong of people re-infecting. so it seems inmunity to the virus lasts about six months.

One person re-infecting among 24 million confirmed cases does not a worrying case make - some people also don't get immunity to other viruses and for example get measels three times over. Secondly, even if immunity would only be six months, there's still t-cells making the second infection only a common cold. Thirdly, if for the sake of the argument we assume antibodies decline linearly, a four time higher antibody count as observed in most vaccine candidates would spell two years of protection...

This is correct. More concerning is the reports coming out of Hong Kong of people re-infecting.
Not necessarily. In addition to what @Dr_Grip said, we have to consider how great or small the risk is that this patient will infect others and/or fall ill (this sentence courtesy of my sleep-deprived brain). If the test they underwent is a highly sensitive one, it may have detected a very small amount of virus RNA which might not pose an actual threat.

You wouldn’t have chanced upon a good source that expands on this, would you?

You & me & everybody else who takes precautions. The rest seem to be enjoying it.

On a seriously ironic mode:

As it happens everywhere in the world, many people think Covid-19 is a sort of scam or a problem blown out of proportions. I don't know in other countries, but a big chunk of them, here, are the trash-rich, so those people who have a lot of money and success, but also a lot of presumption of being better than others, accompanied by a peculiar lack of good taste. Example: Flavio Briatore.

Our guy owns The Billionaire, one of the most renown clubs in Southern Sardinia, seeing among its customers many of those very rich and very unsufferable people.

Briatore, and many of those people, lamented the blocks to social interactions, clubbing, the difficulties of social distancing and dislike masks and all other precautions and protective measures, saying it isn't good for the business.

Well, in the last few days, an hotspot of Coronavirus has been discovered at The Billionaire, involving (for now) 60 people of the staff and Briatore himself, who tested positive in an hospital in Milan two days ago. Officially, he was urged to the hospital for a bad case of prostatitis, but that doesn't seem to convince many people here.

However, as usual, when rich people get a cold, poor people get pneumonia (in this case quite literaly) as the barman from the Billionaire has been transferred into an ICU with respiratory unit because of Covid.

So the man who cried because they were killing his business and because Covid is a flu has got himself and 60 other people of his staff positive or ill; that in itself is between sad and black humour. But the search is underway to reach all the guests who passed by the club in the last days at least.

Easy-peasy: the club kept the contact numbers of everyone as a measure of tracement in case of Covid. But there is a problem: given how well-mannered those people are, many of the guests have given wrong or false numbers, so it is impossible to trace them correctly.

In the immortal words of Flavio Briatore himself as he was being driven around Montecarlo by Captain Slow: "Jesus Christ".

This thing couldn't get more ridiculous if they tried.

Link

One more thing. As a project manager I spot a case of "mission creep" in the doom and gloom prophecies. At the beginning we had "no immunity" then "only a month", "only three months", and now we have to do with "only half a year"...

Edit - @calvinhobbes Statnews who normally got their shit right say minor cold symptoms were observed.

Last edited: