Ownership Verified: Anesthesia's 4G Civic

Oh no and yay.

He'll come back stronger and faster!

Oh no and yay.

He'll come back stronger and faster!
For sure. :)
Now bow your heads folks. Not rly my regular playlist stuff but this fits the situation. :D

A picture @Raparperi managed to get seconds after it blew up.
bNLay0y.jpg

That's a smoking! Sucks, but at least it did not throw parts outside of the block or pan.

That's a smoking! Sucks, but at least it did not throw parts outside of the block or pan.
Yeah. When they don't there's always the chance something is usable.

Finnish discretion even when blowing up.

On the drive home I kept thinking about this scene from Initial D and how much parallels there are in your situation. Here's hoping for similar future for your car, even when your dad isn't building the engine for you. :mrgreen:

On the drive home I kept thinking about this scene from Initial D and how much parallels there are in your situation. Here's hoping for similar future for your car, even when your dad isn't building the engine for you. :mrgreen:

Let's hope that's the outcome. I know in my case he'll help at least. :D

Don't forget to order the new tach that goes to 11.

Back to 9AM Saturday morning wake up calls, eh?
Ehh, a bluetooth speaker on the dash is good enough, right? :D
I'll be the one waking him up. :D
And headsets work just fine too!

Now one day AD(after destruction!) I'm ofc. sad that a faithful companion is down(but not out!), but I'm now more curious to find out what happened and how can I prevent it from happening again. I can't be doing a swap every fifteen years.

Took the company van and a trailer after work yesterday to get my hatch from Ahvenisto. It was there waiting where I had left it.
Pulling it on the trailer proved a bit difficult because the exhaust hangs to low the edge kept catching the edge of the trailer. But some manual lifting from the door frame did the trick.
1UUYfix.jpg

Back at the garage some three hours later. We decided with a friend to take the head off right away.
XZBQGEi.jpg

DHlPY7w.jpg

The top end showed nothing out of the ordinary and everything looked like they had survived.
AqfNzKg.jpg

JiKrmm5.jpg

The block looked fine from what I could see. The two cylinders that were down looked fine. No scoring on the bore, no marks that shouldn't be there on a an engine that's just 100km shy of 350k km.
VPaVdCb.jpg

HBVZU3j.jpg

b0UEchf.jpg

TyiAcl5.jpg

f57ydKG.jpg

Next week I'll take the bottom end out. The whole engine is coming out ofc. but first I want to know what went wrong. I've also not entirely decided on what direction the build will go from here.

You know, I think that killed the engine ;)
But like you said, it died doing what it was build to do and after 15 years and 350k, it did well.
For sure it did. Considering how much and hard it was driven it did all all right :)

Took out the block today with a friend. Found out what damage has been done.
Not entirely sure what happened. There are possibilities. The oil filter housing might have failed again, but this has happened before And I do have a near OCD trying if it's actually on so I doubt that. Or the oil sump failed to keep the bottom end oiled up due to the cornering(doubtful, but possible) or the bearings just had enough after 32 years and 350k km. At any rate one bearing had spun over and wedged itself around the crank.

The block is OK, the crank is more than likely trash. We can work with this block... there are plans... ;)

First indicator was glitter in the oil. That should not be there. Then we proceeded to remove the engine and dig in to it.

Engine removed.
vunTJeZ.jpg

The bottom end open, the issue is fairly obvious. You can even see the slits of bearing trying to escape.
ZmP7dxJ.jpg

oil pump has some clear indicators of what happened.
dDz2hb3.jpg

Number 3 cylinder is the problem one. The con rods are properly done, as is the crank from that cylinder.
0Q4mUKM.jpg

47afrCQ.jpg

The rest of the necks had some indicators of damage, that one cylinder is the worst one.
B9wBpIS.jpg

The dome shaped pistons that they only put in the dohc models out for the first time since 1988
n332aC0.jpg

Last edited:
Considering what happened, could have been much worse. No one escaped the block.

Considering what happened, could have been much worse. No one escaped the block.
So much this, this means one of my older plans to build is a go since the block is all right. :)