Random Thoughts....

What was the "something's not right" for you?
A pretty huge ceramic inlay had been inserted into the chewing surface a couple of years ago and much later, the tooth seemed to move slightly out of the jawbone, upwards in this case. There was never any pain worth mentioning, but there was some sort of tiny little wound in the gum next to the tooth which wouldn’t go away. So I mentioned this to my dentist, he said to keep an eye on it and then recently, he checked again and decided to clear out the root canals.

What probably happened is the following: when my old dentist tried to save the tooth with the inlay, she had to drill very deep into the chewing surface and ended up really close to the pulpa. It was overheated and damaged which led to its slow and painless demise. The resulting inflammation needed some space and hence pushed the tooth up. It also created small amounts of gangrenous liquid which eventually drained via a fistula, which explains a) the tiny little wound and b) the lack of pain because the pressure between the jawbone and the tooth was never high enough to cause any.

A pretty huge ceramic inlay had been inserted into the chewing surface a couple of years ago and much later, the tooth seemed to move slightly out of the jawbone, upwards in this case. There was never any pain worth mentioning, but there was some sort of tiny little wound in the gum next to the tooth which wouldn’t go away. So I mentioned this to my dentist, he said to keep an eye on it and then recently, he checked again and decided to clear out the root canals.

What probably happened is the following: when my old dentist tried to save the tooth with the inlay, she had to drill very deep into the chewing surface and ended up really close to the pulpa. It was overheated and damaged which led to its slow and painless demise. The resulting inflammation needed some space and hence pushed the tooth up. It also created small amounts of gangrenous liquid which eventually drained via a fistula, which explains a) the tiny little wound and b) the lack of pain because the pressure between the jawbone and the tooth was never high enough to cause any.

Wow, good thing that's been fixed up. :|

Yup. I wasn’t expecting the dentist to use the words “ticking time bomb”, but he did after he had defused it. I’m still on the fence about the painlessness, should that amaze me or should I consider it a bad omen?

I would be over the moon that theres no pain, just don't force the matter by eating some nuts.

I would be over the moon that theres no pain, just don't force the matter by eating some nuts.

Weeeell speaking of...
I've been to the dentist 4 times in the past two months getting some fillings replaced (first with temporary stuff, to be followed by ceramics) one tooth at a time. Everything went super nice and well until today. After the anesthesia wore off, i had a slight ache in the tooth they worked on today which gets considerably worse any time I chew anything. Ugh - at the moment it's just slightly unpleasant and annoying, rather than unbearable... but you never know. At first I thought maybe it's some remaining irritation from their work on the tooth, but 6 hours later, I don't really think so anymore. Also maybe it's just me being paranoid but the area surrounding the tooth or the cheeck sort of feels slightly puffy as well. I think I'll be going back first thing in the morning tomorrow if this doesnt magically fix itself until morning -.-

It’s been interesting to find out that you don’t necessarily need local anaesthesia for a root canal. :blink: The tooth in question was as dead as a dodo and my dentist never came too close to the bone.

Oh my old dentist hardly ever used anaesthetics, unless it was very close to the nerve. Never had any pain either.
Weirdly, the most pain I usually have is the spot where the needle went from the injection to sedate me...

On the getting stabbed and feeling no pain topic....

In 2nd grade I cracked my head falling off playground equipment at recess one day at school (which probably explains so much). I remember being at the hospital and seeing surprised nurses when they put the needle in to numb the pain and I didn't respond to pain because I didn't feel it go in. Staples were put in and that was that.

Last edited:
Oh my old dentist hardly ever used anaesthetics, unless it was very close to the nerve. Never had any pain either.
Weirdly, the most pain I usually have is the spot where the needle went from the injection to sedate me...

My dentist uses a fast-acting numb-er, like a strong Ora-gel, and then injects the Novocain. I am in the middle of a root canal right now (work is done and I've got a temp crown, and I go back on Monday for the final shaped crown), and felt zero pain.

That said, I have at least 3 wisdom teeth that need to come out. Sooooo not looking forward to that...and unfortunately, it'll need to wait until I re-find employment.

Last edited:
gaasc's bitterness about mail, Episode: THE SYSTEM DETECTED AN OVERRUN OF A STACK-BASED BUFFER IN THIS APPLICATION. (C0000409): One of those strange conversations you have at the wee hours of the morning turned to AliExpress bargain hunting. I chew threw logitech mouses in anything from six months to a year, no matter if I get the cheapest G100 or the uber expensive G502. Apparently those 20M click-rated Omrons are grossly over-rated or I need to use my computer less. So I went in and checked if there were cheap logitech overruns that I could ship...and sure enough, branded G102s could be had for about $12-16. They're a bit shit, but I can buy five for what I am spending on a single one, and the knockoff cheapass mice I have last about the same as the gaming ones.

Sure enough, it's $60 to ship a single one straight to Honduras. I would ship it through the US, but even that one is flaky now, with a box of crap I asked for being lost for about a week now.

Can a sad song be sung with a ukulele?

^ Oh shit....

In other news, I guess this week has been especially taxing for me. I got off work an hour early because of snafus on Tuesday. I get home, catch up on some YouTube videos, make dinner, and feel myself falling asleep. I was in bed by 8:30PM and didn't wake up until 5:30 like I always do for work.

I visited my parents over the weekend and it was very depressing; not figuratively, I’m actually having a hard time today. They’re 72 and 84 and every time I go there, it seems like they’ve let go of life a little bit more. And since they’re from a generation that didn’t even understand that mental health is a thing, there is no way to talk about this with them.

I visited my parents over the weekend and it was very depressing; not figuratively, I’m actually having a hard time today. They’re 72 and 84 and every time I go there, it seems like they’ve let go of life a little bit more. And since they’re from a generation that didn’t even understand that mental health is a thing, there is no way to talk about this with them.

You could still ask, if they deny, I guess move on to a new topic or explain how much you care about them and want to make sure they're ok.

Sneezing into your mask is not advised.