It only took 13 years.... New Nissan Z

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34016940/nissan-z-proto-revealed/

See the source image

See the source image

See the source image

How did this not come up in here already?

My opinion, fix the grill, make sure it has real music from the pipes and not from the speaker (say hello, Supra). Keep it below 40k Canadian. Not for me, but I dearly hope it pays off for them.

The roof line, especially the "kink", sure looks like a legacy from the 370Z.
Wouldn't be the first time Nissan carried a stylistic flourish over from previous generations as a nod to their own history, though.

If I'm wrong, and this isn't an all new car (except, uh, for the chassis), I'll buy you a donut. Twelve, even.

The square cutout of the front just feels lazy to me. Overall the design is growing on me, but I have reservations about quality given Nissan's current financial state. I also doubt the interior is going to have those materials, I'm betting on more hard plastic - which is the norm for Nissan production vehicles (even in the Infiniti line).

2010-nissan-370z-2-door-coupe-auto-touring-side-exterior-view_100302524_l.jpg

Nissan_Z_Proto_exterior_Side-scaled.jpg

Nissan isn't discussing the chassis, leaving us to assume that it rides on the same rear-wheel-drive FM platform as before.

Looks like the same wheel base and roof line, the extra length appears to be front and rear overhang.

Last edited:
I like it very much. You see a bit of 370Z, a lot of the original Z's, and the rear light clusters give me Z32 vibes. The interior looks a bit generic apart from the auxiliary gauges but it's very tasteful all things considered. Mine would have smaller wheels and perhaps a less sudden color.

The other interesting thing about it for me is the platform it's built on if it isn't the FM. That platform is pushing 20 years old by now, and underpins a half-dozen Infinitis. so the 400 may be a test run for whatever it is that replaces it.

Where are you seeing that it's not the FM chassis?
From the Car and Driver article above:
Nissan isn't discussing the chassis, leaving us to assume that it rides on the same rear-wheel-drive FM platform as before.

Where are you seeing that it's not the FM chassis?
From the Car and Driver article above:

I know as much as anyone else, hence "if it isn't."