The 2020 elections, news, and discussions

Thank you for explaining. :)

Coming from a country where great emphasis is put on the confidentiality of votes, and also on giving everyone a chance to actually go vote (or mail it in) solely by official means, this all seems totally bogus to me.

Coming from a country where great emphasis is put on the confidentiality of votes, and also on giving everyone a chance to actually go vote (or mail it in) solely by official means, this all seems totally bogus to me.
Very much so... over here I remember it being publicly discussed how even taking a selfie of yourself in the voting booth* (that you may only ever enter alone) and posting it up on instagram to show "wow I voted yay" may actually be illegal.

* not showing the actual ballot or anything, just the booth (so maintaining secrecy) - still illegal.

Yup, same here.

Another issue that's coming up here is armed right-wing militia member appointing themselves as "poll watchers" and standing outside. This is likely to intimidate a lot of people, especially those who are not white cisgendered and right-leaning or extreme-right wing. Those who don't want to approach a group of guys standing around carrying rifles and wearing tactical gear are less likely to enter their polling location to vote - and that means people who are usually marginalized and tend to vote Democrat.

We also know that extreme right white nationalists have become and integrated part of many police departments and sheriff's departments around the country, so local and municipal law enforcement is less likely to take reports against white nationalist and the far-right wing seriously.

Another issue that's coming up here is armed right-wing militia member appointing themselves as "poll watchers" and standing outside.

Have there been more reports of this happening outside of the one Virginia location?

Another issue that's coming up here is armed right-wing militia member appointing themselves as "poll watchers" and standing outside. This is likely to intimidate a lot of people, especially those who are not white cisgendered and right-leaning or extreme-right wing. Those who don't want to approach a group of guys standing around carrying rifles and wearing tactical gear are less likely to enter their polling location to vote - and that means people who are usually marginalized and tend to vote Democrat.

We also know that extreme right white nationalists have become and integrated part of many police departments and sheriff's departments around the country, so local and municipal law enforcement is less likely to take reports against white nationalist and the far-right wing seriously.

For that:

https://www.law.georgetown.edu/icap...ful-private-paramilitaries/state-fact-sheets/

https://866ourvote.org/

I think basically it comes down to, what they are doing is illegal, but for some reason the police aren't doing anything about it.

When the police and the alt-right are one in the same...

Have there been more reports of this happening outside of the one Virginia location?

There's a lot of social media chatter among these fringe-right groups about it. Trump's rhetoric about widespread voter fraud is fueling them, so we can expect to see more of this - especially on election day. The FBI is warning that it's going to be a problem and I'd bet we see multiple reports of them hassling anyone of color going to vote in-person. We can also expect more stunts like what the GOP pulled in Texas and California with fake ballot boxes and more limitations to polling locations and drop-offs. My bet is we see more of that in the next couple of weeks as the GOP tries to rig the election at the last second so there's no time for the courts to intervene.

There's a lot of social media chatter among these fringe-right groups about it. Trump's rhetoric about widespread voter fraud is fueling them, so we can expect to see more of this - especially on election day. The FBI is warning that it's going to be a problem and I'd bet we see multiple reports of them hassling anyone of color going to vote in-person. We can also expect more stunts like what the GOP pulled in Texas and California with fake ballot boxes and more limitations to polling locations and drop-offs. My bet is we see more of that in the next couple of weeks as the GOP tries to rig the election at the last second so there's no time for the courts to intervene.

So for now, no. But don't expect that to be it. Great.

Trump's rhetoric about widespread voter fraud is fueling them

It's not just his claims about fraud leading people to think of the "I should watch the polling places myself!" idea themselves.

1602627568873.png

Oh shut up, you love it. :p

"You're the president, you're not someone's crazy uncle."

Actually . . .