Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So apparently there are a few new Suzuki models on sale, Across and Swace.

This is not a Toyota RAV4.
1603051728674.png

And this is absolutely not a Toyota Corolla Hybrid.
1603051713274.png

I believe that's the laziest "let's hybridise our lineup" attempt I've ever seen.

On the other hand, if in some five-to-ten years used Suzuki Swaces will hold less value than used Toyota Corolla Touring Hybrids, then this is a good thing.

I believe that's the laziest "let's hybridise our lineup" attempt I've ever seen.

On the other hand, if in some five-to-ten years used Suzuki Swaces will hold less value than used Toyota Corolla Touring Hybrids, then this is a good thing.

*Laughs in 2000s GM era hybrid SUV’s*

Wonder what Toyota gets out of the deal.

Wonder what Toyota gets out of the deal.

More sales and moving more product therefore keeping their people employed? Similar to BMW/Toyota thing with the Z4/Supra.

More sales and moving more product therefore keeping their people employed? Similar to BMW/Toyota thing with the Z4/Supra.

Just wondering where Suzuki has a stronger presence than Toyota. Certainly not where I live, that's for sure.

They've carved out a little niche in the AWD market, though. My mom ended up with a Suzuki Vitara because she needed a reasonably priced new or near new car with AWD and automatic. It was literally the only thing available to buy.

Just wondering where Suzuki has a stronger presence than Toyota. Certainly not where I live, that's for sure.

They've carved out a little niche in the AWD market, though. My mom ended up with a Suzuki Vitara because she needed a reasonably priced new or near new car with AWD and automatic. It was literally the only thing available to buy.

Well, there's Hyundai Kona / Kia Sportage, or as a bit of a stretch BMW 2er active tourer for example. Not that I would've been looking at similar things, for very similar reasons..

Well, there's Hyundai Kona / Kia Sportage, or as a bit of a stretch BMW 2er active tourer for example. Not that I would've been looking at similar things, for very similar reasons..

Well, when I did a filtered search in Nettiauto for awd + auto in her price range, literally the only thing that came up was Vitaras. It also needed to be new or near new. The cheapest Kona is already north of 30k new. It's probably a lot more car, too.

I would've bought a loaded late model low-km Opel Mokka 1.4T 4x4 if I was shopping for a car in that segment and price range, but that's just me.

If it's at all like the Suzuki Equator, which was a rebadged Nissan Frontier, no one will buy them and you won't find any on the used market.

If it's at all like the Suzuki Equator, which was a rebadged Nissan Frontier, no one will buy them and you won't find any on the used market.

I guess it's the Suzuki curse. It's weird because up until these new Toyota clones arrived, their entire range had AWD either as standard or as an option. You would think that a country that's covered in snow for a big part of the year would appreciate AWD, but most of my countryumen don't seem to care. Subaru has been doing their best to market their cars here since the Leone days, with no success.

On a semi-related note: my parents have a boat with a 20hp fuel injected Suzuki outboard. First time I looked under the engine cover I noticed it had a Bosch MAP sensor with a parts number on it. It's a shared part with the Suzuki-built Opel Agila and at my work the list price is around 20€. I can easily imagine the marine shop charging ten times as much.

I guess it's the Suzuki curse. It's weird because up until these new Toyota clones arrived, their entire range had AWD either as standard or as an option. You would think that a country that's covered in snow for a big part of the year would appreciate AWD, but most of my countryumen don't seem to care. Subaru has been doing their best to market their cars here since the Leone days, with no success.

On a semi-related note: my parents have a boat with a 20hp fuel injected Suzuki outboard. First time I looked under the engine cover I noticed it had a Bosch MAP sensor with a parts number on it. It's a shared part with the Suzuki-built Opel Agila and at my work the list price is around 20€. I can easily imagine the marine shop charging ten times as much.

Current Suzuki range has sold rather well though, around these parts at least. Previous gen SX4 was already quite common in awd form and now Swifts, SX4s and Vitaras are everywhere.

I've driven a 1.0 turbo Kona and it doesn't really feel like much car. The EV feels a bit more substantial due to weight, I guess.

I've driven a 1.0 turbo Kona and it doesn't really feel like much car. The EV feels a bit more substantial due to weight, I guess.
I've driven both, and tend to agree. My wife has the 1.0 turbo one, which doesn't do all that much unless you rev the nuts off it, the EV is very quick to respond (quicker than the front wheels can handle, especially in the rain) though that one feels heavier, because it is.

OTOH for a soccermom mobile (which is what all these small SUVs are), it's perfectly OK.

Doug bought a Defender!!!!!!!!!

*starts clock*

Doug bought a Defender!!!!!!!!!
He must have missed TFL Truck's experience with their Defender. So far it's been in the shop more than it's been in their possession - and that's with them getting preferred media treatment.

He must have missed TFL Truck's experience with their Defender. So far it's been in the shop more than it's been in their possession - and that's with them getting preferred media treatment.
You didn't make to the end? He's thought of that ;)

If @larswey would make a thread about his Audi wagon, I’d be so happy.