2020 Land Rover Defender - or why I don't trust sensors off road

That was pretty shocking. I gave up hope on JLR a few years ago, this just adds to it. It baffles me that people still want to buy these things.

I'll be interested when they make the EV version, maybe without an engine they can manage to not fuck it up but I'm sure they will find a way. Still don't think I'd actually want to buy one, I'll stick with my Disco. I honestly don't know what I'd buy if I wanted a new off roader.

If they did, it better be called a Shocking Discovery.

None of the problems here were the engine, they were all electrical and computer-related. These days it's pretty hard to make an unreliable engine, materials sciences, CAD engineering, and testing have come a long way. It's almost always engine management, chassis/suspension, or electronics/sensors that are to blame.

If they did, it better be called a Shocking Discovery.
What would be shocking about a Discovery is if it actually ran 100,000 miles and racked up less than $5,000 in repair costs.

That was pretty shocking. I gave up hope on JLR a few years ago, this just adds to it. It baffles me that people still want to buy these things.

I'll be interested when they make the EV version, maybe without an engine they can manage to not fuck it up but I'm sure they will find a way. Still don't think I'd actually want to buy one, I'll stick with my Disco. I honestly don't know what I'd buy if I wanted a new off roader.

Are you sure? Imagine if you will a JLR product...where all of it is the electrics.

TFL latest developments

Phew. What a relief. I feared it wouldn't be a proper Land Rover.

The comments on that video are priceless, they range from some version of "We fucking told you" to heaps of schadenfreude.

My favorite:

I'm at 6 minutes in and I already know what the problem is.
Look in the area just under the license plate. Remove the two plate retention bolts, Remove plate, Place plate on different vehicle

These days it's pretty hard to make an unreliable engine, materials sciences, CAD engineering, and testing have come a long way.

Certain manufacturers have done a mighty fine job making timing chains out of spit and tissue paper as of late.

I can't believe* they built a vehicle that can have a check engine light and not provide a reason for it. Is it going to be a blob of solder on the board or something? :LOL:

*I can believe.

Are you sure? Imagine if you will a JLR product...where all of it is the electrics.

I'd hope that they have to outsource a lot of components and therefore they might work. Maybe wishful thinking. :p

JLR should just quit building cars and become a coachbuilder using the Land Cruiser chassis.

Disagree. There’s a place for JLR, off-road back country isn’t it though.

Back of a tow truck?
Back in the day it used to be "Get home before dark" with Lucas electrics and now it's "Don't leave without AA* membership.

*Or your regional equivalent.

Back in the day it used to be "Get home before dark" with Lucas electrics and now it's "Don't leave without AA* membership.

*Or your regional equivalent.
"Bring an e-scooter"

Disagree. There’s a place for JLR, off-road back country isn’t it though.
Right up my arse on the motorway being driven by a blonde with oversized sunglasses trying to do 90 in a 70 on the cheapest Chinese tyres money can buy in 500/20R32 usually...

TFL posted on the YT comments
4 days ago

BIG update coming soon, please stay tuned! Some very interesting turn of events, we just have to get all our ducks in a row!

Land Rover De-Failure update. This is such a goat rodeo, I can't even laugh at it anymore.

I find it amusing that they keep referring to their De-Failure with Nissan's marketing slogan for the Xterra.

Last edited:
Jinxed

They're averaging one vehicle per 100 Miles :p

Please keep in mind that this is with full awareness that they are dealing with someone who has a YouTube channel and a significant online presence and dealing with corporate facilities and representatives. It lends itself to speculation about how different the experience would be for Joe Schmoe who just wanted a nice SUV.

Me? I would've taken the Lemon Law deal, but then again, the Defender saga is creating very good content for them.

I think it's nice of the dealer to have a breakdown even before delivering the car. It saves time for the customer.