The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

https://electrek.co/2020/11/05/tesla-launches-tequila-price/

Tesla launches own tequila with crazy-looking bottle and high price tag

1604688609355.png

The bottle is cool.

That's more bottle than booze.

No, a direct one :p

Hope none was hurt badly -

AP off, Automatic Emergency Braking off, speed at the time of impact of 135.55 mph!!!
https://jalopnik.com/this-video-of-a-terrifying-high-speed-tesla-wreck-is-a-1845655448

Jeez...the article mentions that the "Autopilot" disengaged 40 seconds before impact, gave a warning of an impending impact, and the humsn driver accelerated through that, and continued accelerating until the point of impact. Imaging going 68 MPH in a highway at night and getting rear-ended by someone going twice that fast. We don't know how fast of slow the Civc was going, but i don't think it was parked, as some of the comments seem to hint at....it would have come up WAY faster.

The article is confusing, though.

Humans are simply not good at passing off 80-plus percent of a task and then staying alert to monitor what’s going on, which is what Autopilot demands. Since Level 2 systems offer no failover capability and need a human to be ready to take over at any moment, if you’re not paying constant attention, the wreck we see here is precisely the kind of worst-case nightmare that can happen.

The autopilot system turned off. The person in the driver's seat too over 100% of the car's operation. I fail to see at all how this is "level 2" autonomous control's fault. Because an automatic braking system didn't kick in at 130mph? Isn't this like blaming an unused parachute for someone dying in a plane crash?

The autopilot system turned off. The person in the driver's seat too over 100% of the car's operation. I fail to see at all how this is "level 2" autonomous control's fault. Because an automatic braking system didn't kick in at 130mph? Isn't this like blaming an unused parachute for someone dying in a plane crash?

Depends on whether the parachute was actually unused or it was but the user missed the giant gaping hole at the top of it.

If lane keep assist was on and working, but Automatic Forward Collision braking wasn't, it's possible that the driver thought autopilot was still enabled. After all, the thing was still steering itself. This does not excuse them accelerating but it makes the single bong warning you autopilot was disabled was a lot easier to miss. Also, quite why would autopilot disengaging would also deactivate auto emergency braking is beyond me.

Depends on whether the parachute was actually unused or it was but the user missed the giant gaping hole at the top of it.

If lane keep assist was on and working, but Automatic Forward Collision braking wasn't, it's possible that the driver thought autopilot was still enabled. After all, the thing was still steering itself. This does not excuse them accelerating but it makes the single bong warning you autopilot was disabled was a lot easier to miss. Also, quite why would autopilot disengaging would also deactivate auto emergency braking is beyond me.

Lane keep is very much different from autopilot. There is no way to confuse the two.
AP turning off by itself is more than one bong.
AP disengage does not disable auto emergency brakes. If that can even be fully turned off (I own one of those and don’t even know ?), it is hidden way inside the menus, so it was a very conscious decision by the driver.

This is just idiots in cars...

Thanks for the elucidation.

If I may continue to pry, what exactly does the car do when autopilot is disengaged if it's not a single bong? Furthermore, is there anything on the UI that would tell you if auto emergency brakes are switched off? I feel that should be at least an icon.

Page 89 has this tidbit too:

"If you repeatedly ignore Autosteer's prompts for having your hands on the steering wheel, Autosteer disables for the rest of the drive and displays the following message. If you don't resume manual steering, Autosteer sounds a continuous chime, turns on the warning flashers, and slows the vehicle to a complete stop."

So if everything was working as intended, driver should be on the side of the road.

Space Karen:LOL:

Article claims in excess of 100mph, no wonder it threw them! They need to work on tying the cells together better if this can happen though, the battery day stuff suggests they're planning to remove 'excess' structure so not sure how that's going to pan out.

Worn-out NAND flash blamed for Tesla vehicle gremlins​

https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/17/tesla_nand_memory/

NHTSA Opens Investigation Into Display Failures on Older Tesla Model S​

https://www.yahoo.com/now/nhtsa-opens-investigation-display-failures-215400640.html

Is this still true? $2,500 every 25k miles?
Tesla has updated its warranty for its already problematic media unit and touchscreen with a ridiculously shorter two-year or 25,000-mile limit.
https://electrek.co/2020/07/04/tesla-updates-warranty-problematic-media-unit-touchscreen/