Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

an update!

bought an office chair for myself and it fit nicely in the back of the car.
And when i went to pick up the chair, i had no access to seat heating controls, a problem which restarting the car fixed.

Also 2 of my colleagues have asked me about weird clicking sound when they arrived to company carpark for shift change.
On both times the car had been charging and plugged in for the duration of the shift, and the clicking sound happened about the same time i had preheating automaticly turn on.
clicking sound was relays when i heard it, so i assume the car doesn't know either to charge the car and/or run the heating from mains.

an update!

bought an office chair for myself and it fit nicely in the back of the car.
And when i went to pick up the chair, i had no access to seat heating controls, a problem which restarting the car fixed.

Also 2 of my colleagues have asked me about weird clicking sound when they arrived to company carpark for shift change.
On both times the car had been charging and plugged in for the duration of the shift, and the clicking sound happened about the same time i had preheating automaticly turn on.
clicking sound was relays when i heard it, so i assume the car doesn't know either to charge the car and/or run the heating from mains.
Sounds like a fire waiting to happen ?

Another year another update!

car has now 5800km and so far i have only once got to work 15mins late because of cold weather eating 5% battery (from 11% to 6%, and i need 8% to get to work :whistle: ).

i got a letter from vw, that i shouldn't be using the heat pump when the climate is colder than 10c and humidity is high, because the windows will fog up.

Guess whats the weather for the past couple months! and no, it did not fog up to my windows.

And apparently my passanger side door keyless entry isn't working. :rolleyes:

as for winter range, 200km for my mostly ring road commute on a 80% charge.

A wild Galantti appears! He uses an update! its minorly inconveniencing....

We had some snow (aparently more than in lapland atm), and had to dig my car out of the snowbank

And here are some after pics:

So i had parked my car with 75% battery (range showing 210km) at -13c temps yesterday, and decided today to go to supermarkets without preheating the car (video lower), temps dropped to -20c today.

It showed me 72% battery charge with 166km range, and i started the car and put my seat and steeringwheel heating on and started my 9km jorney to supermarket (mostly ringroad at 80km/h).
While driving the reghen was limited to 40-50% (could only see the line)

When i drove back to home, the warm battery only used 4% charge.

An update!

While going to work on the saturday the 16th, the car told me the 12V battery charge leve was insufficient:

And after being in the AC charger for 12,5hours it told me the 12V part of the car is fault goto service:

so i drove like normal to service, and i was told that there was an update for that, which requires an electrician, so next available date was the feb 18th. And would last 1,5 days, so i get free rental for the time (i am on my no shift week, so no need to drive to work).
Note: its not the update that is coming, just to fix the 12V drain.

Gotta love the preheating melting most of the snow on top of the car :3

Also since it has been -22c temps the consumtion has doubled to nearly 50kW/100km.
Most likely because i don't have way to charge the car at home, so the battery is cold.

edit. 1. the 12V complainment went away after the temps got warmer.

Last edited:
Also since it has been -22c temps the consumtion has doubled to nearly 50kW/100km.
ho. ly. crap.
I mean I'd totally expect that over maybe the first 20 km or so, but looking at that table you even get that at 80+ km distances still? wow :eek:

an update of winter driving!

last wednesday i parked at home after work with 15% battery with the intention of going to charge and buy lunch before thursdays work, but the -22c temps had other ideas!

"Only parking available! charge. rtfm."

with that notification looking at me + 3% battey made made me test what is the max speed, which was 7km/h :D
I guess the too cold battery and the little amount of charge made the car go into limp mode.
So with that i plugged my car in to the preheating outlet my parking has and father drove me to work.

After my evening shift (while father did re-enable the 2h timer on the heating schuko plug) i went to see the car at 3am to start my jouerney to closest ac-charger at 3km away.

Car had accumulated 6% battery charge, so it was at 9% (which would have been enought for me to drive to work, or any of the close DC-chargers), BUT the car was still in limp mode, so i set my target at the AC-charger in 3km away.

Here is a video i made while on the way, sorry for the blurry video (not using yt because it might have some music that would get triggered).
https://viilaaja.1g.fi/kuvat/vw id3/VID_20210212_031646.mp4

While driving i gave way to a truck and a security van, but other than that the roads were luckly empty.

it took me 25mins to drive the 3km, and the battery charge level dropped to 3% and i charged the car forn an hour untill 15%, because i wanted to get some sleep (and i srtill had to buy the lunck for fridays workday, which i did on friday afternoon while charging at DC charger in the supermarket).

an update of winter driving!

last wednesday i parked at home after work with 15% battery with the intention of going to charge and buy lunch before thursdays work, but the -22c temps had other ideas!

"Only parking available! charge. rtfm."

with that notification looking at me + 3% battey made made me test what is the max speed, which was 7km/h :D
I guess the too cold battery and the little amount of charge made the car go into limp mode.
So with that i plugged my car in to the preheating outlet my parking has and father drove me to work.

After my evening shift (while father did re-enable the 2h timer on the heating schuko plug) i went to see the car at 3am to start my jouerney to closest ac-charger at 3km away.

Car had accumulated 6% battery charge, so it was at 9% (which would have been enought for me to drive to work, or any of the close DC-chargers), BUT the car was still in limp mode, so i set my target at the AC-charger in 3km away.

Here is a video i made while on the way, sorry for the blurry video (not using yt because it might have some music that would get triggered).
https://viilaaja.1g.fi/kuvat/vw id3/VID_20210212_031646.mp4

While driving i gave way to a truck and a security van, but other than that the roads were luckly empty.

it took me 25mins to drive the 3km, and the battery charge level dropped to 3% and i charged the car forn an hour untill 15%, because i wanted to get some sleep (and i srtill had to buy the lunck for fridays workday, which i did on friday afternoon while charging at DC charger in the supermarket).

Hmm...

Really need that system that's in the Taycan to warm (or cool) the battery for optimal charging

Really need that system that's in the Taycan to warm (or cool) the battery for optimal charging
That doesn't help when you are in -22° - Batteries simply do not perform that well when freezing. If @Galantti had a home charger it would have been possible to pre-warm the battery, but he doesn't.

So if the battery is frozen, you can't magically use the power to warm it up :D - It's like a diesel car without the special winter diesel mix in -30°

Which at <10% SOC would probably refuse to do anything.

Lesson from this should probably be: never park in the cold with less than 30%? ?‍♂️
Lesson learned, but apparently only applies if the temperatur is lower than -10c warmer than that, no issues o_O

Which at <10% SOC would probably refuse to do anything.

Lesson from this should probably be: never park in the cold with less than 30%? ?‍♂️
So, unless you have charging at my overnight stop in the winter, we’re all fucked? ??

More and more, I’m tempted to install a charging point in my garage so that selling is just that much more inviting for the next person.

So, unless you have charging at my overnight stop in the winter, we’re all fucked? ??

More and more, I’m tempted to install a charging point in my garage so that selling is just that much more inviting for the next person.

good idea, people would could charge their car fully at home and unless driving away, no need to use public charging points

- It's like a diesel car without the special winter diesel mix in -30°

Yes, the difference is that every fuel station in this country sells this "special mix" weeks or probably months before it gets cold so the average diesel driver doesn't have to ever think about it.

It's only when the first blizzard hits in January and you break out the household Massey Ferguson to plow the yard that you realize you last bought fuel for it in July. :D It usually dies as you're diagonally across the lanes on the main road in the middle of making the three-point turn.

Doesnt DC charging heat up the battery much quicker? Driving that slow to an ac charger seems like a waste of time, no?

My heater uses 4-5kw heating up the cabin in very cold weather. So a 7,4kw charge (the maximum my car can take) turns into 2-3 kw when you deduct whatever gets used up by the heating. So an empty battery would take 10 or more hours, even at max speed....

I have a home chargepoint so I’m glad I don’t have this issue. An overnight charge on a regular plug would still give you some usable range, no? Even in negative a million degrees?

Doesnt DC charging heat up the battery much quicker? Driving that slow to an ac charger seems like a waste of time, no?

My heater uses 4-5kw heating up the cabin in very cold weather. So a 7,4kw charge (the maximum my car can take) turns into 2-3 kw when you deduct whatever gets used up by the heating. So an empty battery would take 10 or more hours, even at max speed....

I have a home chargepoint so I’m glad I don’t have this issue. An overnight charge on a regular plug would still give you some usable range, no? Even in negative a million degrees?

DC would have given more, but closest dc was 5km away inside a locked garage (i went there next afternoon) and from that is more than 7km and more than 10km (while using ring road), so AC charger was most convenient thing at the time.

the regular plug did charge 6% while on a working day with its single phase 8A speeds, and as i am aware didn't heat up the battery.

my next home will have a chargepoint, but that is still a ways ahead.

Question, why do you seemingly have low battery quite often?

Question, why do you seemingly have low battery quite often?
most likely i leave work with enought battery, then cold front comes and i have less than i need.
Could also be because i go with the petrol filling mental state.....