New TV Time

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
I'd like the advice of the FinalGear tech geek hive mind.

I kind of want a new TV, even though my old one still works. But well... bigger is better. I have a 12-year-old 32" Samsung TV, and I want to replace it with something in the 43" range because that's the size that is prudent for where the TV is placed in my living room.

As the content delivery is completely taken care of by the triumvirat of Internet TV box, Raspberry Pi for local streaming and a BluRay player, all routed through my HiFi receiver that takes care of audio, I really need only HDMI as the sole input. Quite honestly, I don't need or even want any "Smart TV" nonsense, but it's unavoidable nowadays. Whatever I buy, I will only connect it to the Internet for initial software updates.
I also avoid Samsung because their software is consistently shit, no matter if we're talking phones, TVs, or other devices, and buying from them (again) goes against my occupational honour as a software engineer.

My requirements are basically:
  • maximum dimensions 100x70 cm incl. foot
  • 4k resolution - I'm quite fine with HD, but it seems foolish not to go for UHD/4k when buying a new TV. My usual sources are Netflix, T-Online Entertain (Internet TV) and stuff from the internet in 720p, with the very occasional BluRay or DVD thrown in. So a decent upscaler would be really good to have. Sadly, this part is also quite difficult to find info on/filter by.
  • reasonably priced (meaning no OLED, sadly)
  • available in Germany, obviously
  • Edit (see post #3): 3x HDMI 2.x in, ideally 1x HDMI out
I do not care at all about anything sound-related, as, like I wrote above, that is taken care of by another device.

My research today brought me to these two models (excuse the German product pages... I hate today's Internet redirections):
I'm also quite open to similar models from the same manufacturers, as I in general have had good experience with both.

Edit (see post #3): These models might actually not meet my updated criteria...

How bad of a choice are these? Anything else, be it feature-wise or what brand/model to go for, that I should consider?

Last edited:
You actually raise a good point here. For this upgrade, I need to change my setup around, making the TV the actual hub for the HDMI inputs because the hi-fi receiver is from 2009 and only speaks HDMI 1.3a. I totally forgot that the standard has been updated since then.
That makes three HDMI inputs (INet TV, RaspPi and BluRay) and one HDMI output (audio) another requirement. Well, theoretically I could use S/PDIF, but I prefer to go for HDMI. This might get difficult actually. At least I can't seem to find confirmation about HDMI out in the specs on the websites from LG or Philips. But given S/PDIF apparently is only good for up to 5.1 sound, how else is a surround system supposed to be connected?

HDMI 2.0(a,b) seems to be enough for me, allowing for 4K at 60 Hz.

You actually raise a good point here. For this upgrade, I need to change my setup around, making the TV the actual hub for the HDMI inputs because the hi-fi receiver is from 2009 and only speaks HDMI 1.3a. I totally forgot that the standard has been updated since then.
That makes three HDMI inputs (INet TV, RaspPi and BluRay) and one HDMI output (audio) another requirement. Well, theoretically I could use S/PDIF, but I prefer to go for HDMI. This might get difficult actually. At least I can't seem to find confirmation about HDMI out in the specs on the websites from LG or Philips. But given S/PDIF apparently is only good for up to 5.1 sound, how else is a surround system supposed to be connected?

HDMI 2.0(a,b) seems to be enough for me, allowing for 4K at 60 Hz.
The problem with switching around who's in control of HDMI devices is making sure the TV has digital audio output. This is of course assuming you have more than 2 speakers. If you have 5.1 or something, you'll need the tv the spit out the digtial audio signals for the receiver to decode.

Yes, that's what I was getting at.

I have a 5.1 setup at a receiver with HDMI 1.3(a?) and S/PDIF inputs available.

Crazy that 65" is becoming the new standard size!

Thank you improvements in manufacturing processes. According to a weird Canadian, the latest generation of mother glass for televisions can be cut into 8 65" TVs with the lowest amount of waste per pane of glass (This mother glass could also make six 75" TVs from it with some remaining for re-processing or making smaller screens). Which makes it the optimal and most cost-effective size for TVs nowadays

Last edited:
one HDMI output

That one a tv most likely will never have. What there most likely will be is an HDMI input (!) with ARC (audio return channel) that supplies the functionality you’re after. That is if your receiver also supports it (and there are no funny inconsistencies). Once you get it to work, it’s usually smooth sailing (I use that with a Sonos Amp that has an hdmi Connector solely for ARC (does nothing else). LG tends to couple the functionality with CEC (remote sharing via hdmi) but calls that feature something ridiculous... took me half an hour to figure out when setting this up, why ARC refused to work and I couldn’t find CEC.

That one a tv most likely will never have. What there most likely will be is an HDMI input (!) with ARC (audio return channel) that supplies the functionality you’re after. That is if your receiver also supports it (and there are no funny inconsistencies).
My receiver is too old for that I think, and I don't feel like shelling out another half grand for a new one...
I get the feeling that SPDIF it is, then.

My two cents: I got rid of my receiver and speakers and got a sound bar. It comes on and turns off with the TV and needs zero attention.

I got a 75in TCL... Im a size queen and not that picky about the fine detail that I often can't tell the difference between. I agree with @Perc just buy the soundbar and forget the fidgetiness of sub and alternate speakers. I have the soundbar upstairs and I think it sounds better than the 5.1 set up I have on the big tv. Plus it is another thing to set before watching something and often have to play with depending on the type of movie.

I got a 75in TCL... Im a size queen and not that picky about the fine detail that I often can't tell the difference between. I agree with @Perc just buy the soundbar and forget the fidgetiness of sub and alternate speakers. I have the soundbar upstairs and I think it sounds better than the 5.1 set up I have on the big tv. Plus it is another thing to set before watching something and often have to play with depending on the type of movie.
You're suggesting he invest more money into this when the tv itself has a budget? The worst is a $20 cable compared to multi-hundred dollar speaker bars.

You're suggesting he invest more money into this when the tv itself has a budget? The worst is a $20 cable compared to multi-hundred dollar speaker bars.
no he dosent care about sound im just agreeing with @Perc

I would say get the bigger size screen

Selling my complicated surround receiver and big 5.1 speaker system paid for the sound bar I bought to replace it.

I had bad luck with Philips. The Android system was actually good (this coming from a vocal Apple user) but the TV itself broke and took forever to get repaired. Then it broke again. I managed to get a refund which I used to buy an LG. The LG has been fine but the remote with its accelerometer takes some getting used to. Thankfully the UI supports normal arrow key navigation as well, you don’t have to use the silly mouse pointer. LG’s WebOS is less complicated but the apps aren’t as good IMO. Yes, I know you said you wouldn’t be using the smart features.

I was shopping for a new 4K TV recently and ended up getting a 49" Sony XH95. Because of space constraints, I couldn't go over 50". I was shocked to learn that it's considered a smallish screen now as the market is moving towards 65"+ screens that dominate the room.

If you're undecided, I wholeheartedly recommend this website (and their Youtube channel): https://www.tvfindr.com/de/

My recommendation would be Sony because of the picture quality. It's better to avoid Samsung because of built-in ads, crappy remote and rather unconvincing colours. LG picture quality also disappointed me, just their OLED was quite good (and quite above my budget). Didn't look into any Philipses.