The "New Toys" Thread

I only recently learnt about dishwashers in the US being fed hot water from the latest video from Technology Connections:

You might benefit from his advice about detergents.

Last edited:
I only recently learnt about dishwashers in the US being fed hot water from the latest video from Technology Connections:

You might benefit from his advice about detergents.

I've tried it in my *gasp* Bosch dishwasher and while there is a difference, I'm skeptic by how much. If I got the bottle of either gel or poweder would I think it makes sense because then I can put a little and not 2 loads worth of soap in there.

Minus this video, it was weird to watch some his other videos and find out that guy lives about 1 hour south of me. I've passed the town often, but because the chicago suburbs are just one massive blob of houses and stores, I didn't notice.

I have a Miele dishwasher which was supposed to last 20 or more years go wrong thrice (once under warranty)...

Service dude said it was due to using cheap detergent cube thingies, so I bought the expensive Miele brand powder, and nothing was clean anymore.....

I have a Miele dishwasher which was supposed to last 20 or more years go wrong thrice (once under warranty)...

Service dude said it was due to using cheap detergent cube thingies, so I bought the expensive Miele brand powder, and nothing was clean anymore.....
I've heard the wash pods for laundry is bad, but dishwashers? Hmm. And Miele is supposed to be good because "we make our parts and don't contract it out" or some bullshit. Man, I was looking forward to maybe getting some of their stuff...

No, appliances are fed using cold water. I think it's just a case of a more modern appliance designed to save as much water as possible instead of rinsing things properly.

I'm not suggesting you should pour your used engine oil on the ground and burn used car tires to heat your home, but sometimes these things get ridiculous. The switch in my old (German made) cable modem was set to 10/100 to "save energy". Not optimal when you've got a 250Mbit cable connection...
Had to check, because you made me doubt myself, but both my dishwasher and washing machine are plumbed to use hot water. And as it goes with this kind of things, I assumed that's how how it is done everywhere so I haven't given it much thought.

Had to check, because you made me doubt myself, but both my dishwasher and washing machine are plumbed to use hot water. And as it goes with this kind of things, I assumed that's how how it is done everywhere so I haven't given it much thought.
Same here. I hadn't thought it would be any different elsewhere until I watched the video linked above a few days ago.

And here I am, at neither extreme, knowing people who feed hot, people who feed cold, or people who feed their washing machine hot and their dishwasher cold or the other way around. It's almost as if people could do whatever the hell they feel like :D

I’ve only ever seen appliances fed by cold water. I thought it just was how you did things. Apparently not. TIL ?

I’ve only ever seen appliances fed by cold water. I thought it just was how you did things. Apparently not. TIL ?
You mean you run cold water to your toilet as well? Monsterous. It's designed to steam your excrement, not just send it down the drain!

You mean you run cold water to your toilet as well? Monsterous. It's designed to steam your excrement, not just send it down the drain!
Chuck in a couple of potatoes, and you got a stew going!

I've actually seen a toilet mistakenly plumbed with hot water. After a couple of flushes, the water in the bowl would steam. Unfortunately all of the internals had to be gutted as it wasn't meant to handle heat (better safe than sorry). It was in a huge project with dozens of toilets. Thankfully this was the first one, on the first of several floors.

Pissing into a hot toilet, and flushing it with hot water, smells way different.

Like an amusement park in July?

Chuck in a couple of potatoes, and you got a stew going!

I've actually seen a toilet mistakenly plumbed with hot water. After a couple of flushes, the water in the bowl would steam. Unfortunately all of the internals had to be gutted as it wasn't meant to handle heat (better safe than sorry). It was in a huge project with dozens of toilets. Thankfully this was the first one, on the first of several floors.

Pissing into a hot toilet, and flushing it with hot water, smells way different.
That is title worthy.

So you have to flush once to refill the tank with warm water, then again a moment later to refill the actual bowl with warm water, and only then can you go about your business? Obviously there needs to be a remote control for this so you don't need to make three trips to the toilet for every seating session.

Anyone remember the 90's show Ally McBeal?

So you have to flush once to refill the tank with warm water, then again a moment later to refill the actual bowl with warm water, and only then can you go about your business? Obviously there needs to be a remote control for this so you don't need to make three trips to the toilet for every seating session.

Anyone remember the 90's show Ally McBeal?
Never watched it, but listening to Tom Petty's "Even the Losers" had a part in the first verse that as a kid made me think he was saying McBeal....

"Yeah, you could kiss like fire, and you made me feel"

Never watched it, but listening to Tom Petty's "Even the Losers" had a part in the first verse that as a kid made me think he was saying McBeal....

"Yeah, you could kiss like fire, and you made me feel"

There was a character in Ally McBeal that liked a fresh bowl so he installed a remote control device. Didn't matter if someone was using it.

? no, I mean if you were like the third person to use it within a short period of time