Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Second engine goes in the back, right? :D

hairy2.jpg

I'm sure two GM L32s could do the above. (y)

Stellantis will discontinue the Chrysler brand... I don't think I care.

Source?

Except for a brief period in the 00's when we had the Caliber and a couple others that didn't impress anyone, everything Mopar has been badged Chrysler here. Chrysler Viper, Chrysler Voyager and Chrysler Neon for example. If Stellantis kills the brand, I guess they're saying they don't have any plans on ever returning to Europe. Does this mean we'll get Peugeot badged Chrysler products? ?

Honestly looking at the current product line, I can see them discontinuing Chrysler.

In previous FCA plans, Chrysler was going to be the "mainstream" brand - think Ford, Chevy, Toyota and Honda.

Dodge was going to transition solely to performance oriented offerings: there was rumors/plans of a RWD Avenger replacement based on Alfa hardware. Caravan, Journey and possibly even Durango would be discontinued with replacements being sold under the Chrysler brand - Pacifica would replace Caravan/Journey and a Pacifica based crossover would replace Durango.

The LX cars were supposed to be redesigned by now, moving off the LH (which itself has some roots in the Renault 25) derived LX platform onto a next gen platform again shared with Alfa. That plan supposedly has been scrapped for a reworking of the LX instead.

Only one of those plans, killing off Caravan and Journey, actually has come to fruition.

In today's market I could see Stellantis keeping three "mainstream" brands in the US: Dodge, Jeep and RAM - All three have product that the American car buyer cannot resist because they feed on key desires that a sizable number of people like.

It'd take a real effort to rebuild the Chrysler brand again and remind buyers that "Hey, we actually sell cars that you'd legitimately cross shop a Camry or Sonata against and pay sticker price for."

In the past, the only thing that'd make me hesitate about them killing Chrysler is the minivan. It'd likely be sacrilege to kill it off given their history with "inventing" the segment, their desire to maintain/return to leadership status, etc.

But let's face it, it's not like that segment is growing and right now the money is in a mid to full size 3 row CUV. They could be thinking short term enough to just pull it.

Interestingly enough, would PSA attempt to replace the Chrysler brand with say Peugeot? Or fill in the product gaps in the lineup with Peugeot models rebadged as Chryslers?

I took a look at the current Peugeot France lineup. The closest they have to a mainstream mid-size looks like it'd be a 508? Dimensionally it's got a shorter wheelbase than the Camry which is America's best selling car. I couldn't find anything in terms of rear seat legroom to compare it to, but a small backseat and difficult rear seat access has clobbered mid-size cars here. That was a big issue when Ford introduced the 1st gen Mondeo here - they tried to fix it by reengineering the seatbacks in 99 but that was too late.

Chevy did a similar goof with the last gen Malibu, and Chrysler did the same with 200 - Chrysler could somehow never get their home grown mid-size properly large enough across multiple generations and platforms...it's always been a half step too small which alienated US mid-size car buyers.

In any case, we're in for a wild few years.

Yeah that's my read of what they want to. I think if they do too much with Chrysler it competes with Alfa and down the road Peugeot

The Peugeot 508 is a gorgeous car, but that sadly comes at the price of cramped rear seat space, especially headroom.

They need to take Chrysler back to its roots and make it a luxury marquee again. FCA and the Chrysler group in particular has no high-end brands to compete with Cadillac, Lexus, Genesis, or even Lincoln; the Chrysler brand is perfect for this -- if they could ever stop building rental cars.

They need to take Chrysler back to its roots and make it a luxury marquee again. FCA and the Chrysler group in particular has no high-end brands to compete with Cadillac, Lexus, Genesis, or even Lincoln; the Chrysler brand is perfect for this -- if they could ever stop building rental cars.

I feel there is only one that is a high end brand is Genesis. The other three make a luxury car version of their main brand vehicle. Chrysler doesn't have that. Stellantis closest full size vehicle is from Opel whos platform is from GM. I'd love to see them build a modern Imperial but I'm not dumb nobody is spending 200k on a Chrysler. I just don't see them making something that can move in that 50k-80k price place either.

That or they need to decide whether they truly want Maserati or Alfa to play there. I mean honestly it should probably be Maserati that is their pure luxury brand while Alfa focuses on sport.

Like seriously, why are there two Italian luxury brands (not counting Ferrari)...either differentiate them and advertise them more or take one out back and shoot it for the US market.

Half hearted attempts like the ultra luxury package (that's been discontinued) on the 300C and the new Pacifica Pinnacle are nice but don't do much.

I feel there is only one that is a high end brand is Genesis. The other three make a luxury car version of their main brand vehicle. Chrysler doesn't have that. Stellantis closest full size vehicle is from Opel whos platform is from GM. I'd love to see them build a modern Imperial but I'm not dumb nobody is spending 200k on a Chrysler. I just don't see them making something that can move in that 50k-80k price place either.

Lexus is truly 1st tier luxury IMO and has been there for quite some time. I think the surprising bit is how damn quick Genesis has gotten - They aren't quite there yet but they're damn close to being peer to peer with MB, Audi, Lexus, etc.

Lexus is truly 1st tier luxury IMO and has been there for quite some time. I think the surprising bit is how damn quick Genesis has gotten - They aren't quite there yet but they're damn close to being peer to peer with MB, Audi, Lexus, etc.

Admittedly I was perhaps too dismissive Lexus is the Japanese Mercedes-Benz.

Hear Hear.

And again our opinion diverges. The Jeep Commander failed and the new Wagoneer will fail. To try to turn it into an Imperial is another dead end.