The 2020 elections, news, and discussions

Honoré earlier in the week -

Ah yeah, the start of "random" resignations.

"Be sure to bring your phones and use department-approved hash tags for your selfies with the insurrectionists."

If what I have read about Parler i true, then they have made the job very easy for the FBI to identify the people who stormed Congress.

Late Sunday night, Parler went offline after Amazon Web Services cut off hosting for the social media outlet, a decision that followed the site's use as a tool to plan and coordinate an insurrectionist, pro-Trump mob's invasion of the US Capitol building last week. In the days and hours before that shutdown, a group of hackers scrambled to download and archive the site, uploading dozens of terabytes of Parler data to the Internet Archive. One pseudonymous hacker who led the effort and goes only by the twitter handle @donk_enby told Gizmodo that the group had successfully archived "99 percent" of the site's public contents, which she said includes a trove of "very incriminating" evidence of who participated in the Capitol raid and how.

By Monday, rumors were circulating on Reddit and across social media that the mass disemboweling of Parler's data had been carried out by exploiting a security vulnerability in the site's two-factor authentication that allowed hackers to create "millions of accounts" with administrator privileges. The truth was far simpler: Parler lacked the most basic security measures that would have prevented the automated scraping of the site's data. It even ordered its posts by number in the site's URLs, so that anyone could have easily, programmatically downloaded the site's millions of posts.

Wasn't there also something about them using a trial version of some security software, so when the trial expired, something was automatically unsecured, or something?

Wasn't there also something about them using a trial version of some security software, so when the trial expired, something was automatically unsecured, or something?
I am undecided between "too amusing to be true" and "knowing how people treat software licences, that's entirely believable".

I am undecided between "too amusing to be true" and "knowing how people treat software licences, that's entirely believable".

Twilo, another of their service providers dumped them. They said they planned for that, but I think that made harvesting public posts easier.

That’s like saying that being hit by a snowball is as serious as an asteroid on a collision course.

The Democrats have nothing that comes anywhere close to the Trump cult. They don’t have to be saints to be miles better than the Republicans.
Sorry if I reply so late, I read it this morning.

Democrats and Republicans are not equal, I'm not making the claim for political apathy. I state now and again, though, that both parties are increasingly catering to the extremes of their own spectrum, to the nutcases, to people who are angry, ignorant, often non-democratic. They both play for their personal Power and Goals, not for the Country's.

The Republicans have historically been more hypocrites and the amount of distance most of them have put between them and their own supposed roots and valours is staggering. But Democrats have been steadily following that same path for some time now, and it shows.

---

4 years ago, on January 2017, I stated that Trump was mentally ill.
Now I state that a non-insignificant part of what Biden and, most of all, the Democrats who will support him, will achieve in these next 4 years will be illiberal, delusional or fanatical.

It's not like the Republicans and Trump didn't do similarly-labelable things during the last 4 years, it's that they don't have the monopoly of being wrong, or hypocrite.

They do amounts of wrong things which are more similar than most people would like to accept. This last thing is an effect of polarization, as is the growing amount of anger, deafness and sterile sarcasm visible everywhere.

Democrats have extreme ideas, like thinking people have a right to Healthcare, or clean drinking water, to not be murdered by police for being brown or black, maybe even a livable wage. The GOP built child concentration camps, protested in favor of fascism, and attempted a violent coup.

The radical ideas of the Democrats are still more than a generation behind other developed nations, I would hardly call that radical - but it may seem that way when the only other party is looking a lot like 1930s Germany.

Democrats have extreme ideas, like thinking people have a right to Healthcare, or clean drinking water, to not be murdered by police for being brown or black, maybe even a livable wage. The GOP built child concentration camps, protested in favor of fascism, and attempted a violent coup.

The radical ideas of the Democrats are still more than a generation behind other developed nations, I would hardly call that radical - but it may seem that way when the only other party is looking a lot like 1930s Germany.

Some of those things used to be liked by the republicans too.

Some of those things used to be liked by the republicans too.

Until the Us vs. Them mentality took them by storm. Some Republicans (both representatives and voters) seem to actually hate someone just because they are or vote Democrat. Is this because Fox "News" told them to? I don't fully understand them.

Until the Us vs. Them mentality took them by storm. Some Republicans (both representatives and voters) seem to actually hate someone just because they are or vote Democrat. Is this because Fox "News" told them to? I don't fully understand them.

I think that switch got flipped when Bush Jr said you are with us, or against us. Now they(well, some of them) have become the terrorists.

60 Minutes did and interview with Brad Raffensperger about that second perfect phone call.

:eek:

The Capitol Police officer in a MAGA hat. What’s the real story?​

The Capitol Police officer in a MAGA hat. What’s the real story?

During the riots at the US Capitol, Lieutenant Tarik Johnson was spotted donning a Make America Great Again hat and coordinating with Trump supporters. But newly surfaced video suggests it may have been a ploy to help a group of his fellow officers who were surrounded by the mob.