The "Things that annoy me" thread

I hate the idea of buying properly. The cost, the commitment, the hassle. At least around here it's a lot more old-fashioned and most houses do go for less than the asking price. I think that's more to do with the estate agents jacking up the original asking price though and giving sellers false hopes about the value of their crappy houses. Chains are awful too, one of my friends should be moving today but the solicitors of the seller of his new house aren't prepared, despite them being the ones setting the moving date. Morons!

I just want my contained house or folding house I can put wherever I want. At least land doesn't come with a chain of fools.

Yep, been looking myself, and there was talk of the mortgage deferrals coming to an and, and there being a drop in the market due to Covid.
Great opportunity to finally get a place of my own.

Instead, the (already overpriced) market has grown 5% compared to when Covid hit, and now they anticipate that it will grow further, due to almost 0% interest rates.
Doesn't help that every price guide that the realtor's list ends up being at least 100K too low compared to what it ends up going for.

Apartments are over half a million, houses over a million even for a run down piece of completely uninhabitable crap.
I've been looking for villas and townhouses, with a garage and a tiny piece of backyard lawn, so I can have a dog, but anything even remotely viable is $800-970K.
It's complete bullshit.
Italy I think still has the “villas in rural towns for a €1 if you guarantee you’ll fix it” things going on.

It's complete bullshit.
Yeah that's mostly my take on the whole situation here as well :p

New annoyance: MS Todo.
I've used it as a very simple and minimalist todo list that lets me check off items, put a deadline and add some notes to each item. Also, having it just lives inside my MS Teams client instead of somewhere separate is a nice bonus. Until today. I've used this without any changes for about a year now and been happy with it. It always did exactly as I wanted. Then today, I took notes during a 2 hour meeting inside one of my todos only to find on trying to review my notes that they were gone. Fiddling around: I cannot make any changes anymore. Can't change existing todos. Can't check them off. Can't make any new ones.
Webapp in the browser doesn't load. Infinite loading circle of doom. In incognito mode it does load though... only to present me with the warning that is the source of my problems: Todo is not compatible with on-premise exchange servers. THEN WHY HAS IT WORKED FOR THE PAST YEAR FFS!? WHY CHANGE THAT, THE TWO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER! ARGH. The notification could've just read "lol get fukt! xd". Disgusting... now I have to move all my shit out of that thing, find a replacement and wreck my brains trying to reconstruct that 2hr meeting I had 2 hours ago!

... small things can really make me mad :|

Last edited:
Italy I think still has the “villas in rural towns for a €1 if you guarantee you’ll fix it” things going on.
Yes, but, you can't fix them yourself... Because those villas are usually in really bad conditions, you have to provide a "state of the art certificate" for all the works done, and only companies can do that. Then you have to pay for all the registration fees, and local councils usually impose an insurance deposit. Works have to be completed within one year of registration, at which point you'll have spent more than the entire town it's worth. Rural Italy has usually no services (like fast internet, public transport, gas network, etc), so they,re usually worthless, even after having spent tens of thousands of euros in renovation.
In fact, my bf and I were interested in that (I'm also a trained electrician, and his father is really good at plumbing/building), but not having a company, it gets expensive. In the end we decided to rent, but those also skyrocketed in the past years, at the point where the cheapest options are 500€ a month rooms.

I’d appreciate an email saying “lol get fukd xD” over any of the “an unexpected error has occurred” or “task failed successfully “

I still consider Teams a place where useful information goes to die, so much harder than filing things in folders or even in emails. Well, the people I work with make it hard anyway. I don't have many errors apart from sometimes hearing the thing ringing but having no notification pop up so I can answer it. Don't use Todo though, I use OneNote for... notes.

I still consider Teams a place where useful information goes to die, so much harder than filing things in folders or even in emails.
I feel this is mostly down to organisation. If you just dump your files and stuff in a Team, it's not gonna work. There has to be proper project organization inside to make it work and regular clean-up.

... for me it's all a moot point anyway (I only use teams for video calls and the chat stuff), since our migration to 365 is only sort of half-done - see the point above with the on-prem exchange server - half of the stuff simply doesn't work and doesn't tell you why it doesn't work, but i'm 90% sure most of the issues are due to those local exchange servers not being migrated to the cloud -.-

sometimes hearing the thing ringing but having no notification pop up so I can answer it.
Funny thing: I've had the occasional double-call now. Two notifications about the same incoming call and the second one doesn't go away if you pick up one. So you have to pick up, then deny the other call. weird stuff.

Yes, but, you can't fix them yourself... Because those villas are usually in really bad conditions, you have to provide a "state of the art certificate" for all the works done, and only companies can do that. Then you have to pay for all the registration fees, and local councils usually impose an insurance deposit. Works have to be completed within one year of registration, at which point you'll have spent more than the entire town it's worth. Rural Italy has usually no services (like fast internet, public transport, gas network, etc), so they,re usually worthless, even after having spent tens of thousands of euros in renovation.
In fact, my bf and I were interested in that (I'm also a trained electrician, and his father is really good at plumbing/building), but not having a company, it gets expensive. In the end we decided to rent, but those also skyrocketed in the past years, at the point where the cheapest options are 500€ a month rooms.

Ah, some of the photos of ones I looked at in more central regions seemed to show that, yeah, they're older and probably not great, but there didn't seem to anything major as far as catastrophic structure problems that you would get here.

Reading through how many of FG are dealing with the cost of housing where they live, I feel I should just STFU and live with what I currently have... I've been in my house since December 2014 and it has it's issues, it's the cost of a nice 2 bedroom apartment closer to the city that wouldn't have what I have here.

It's just dull as fuck and driving anywhere is suburbia hell of 50-60km/h speed limits and SO. MANY. TRAFFIC. LIGHTS.

Yep Ive had the double notifications aswell. I made the mistake of picking it up on my phone, not the pc and now it automatically only rings on the phone, which I dont want....

Yeah that is also something weird - I now get notifications on my phone about meetings starting... after it's actually me that's starting the meeting by joining on my PC. But I feel that's very much a first world problem :D
If that's the price I pay to be able to switch basically seamlessly between multiple devices without missing a beat, I'll gladly take it. I'm actually surprised that works as well as it does.

suburbia hell

Yeah, we're sort of trying to avoid that a little bit as well...
We could easily find an affordable home way outside the city, lots of nice little Eifel villages that wouldn't even affect my commute in any way. But it would screw the hell out of my wifes commute (currently 3km by bike).

Reading through how many of FG are dealing with the cost of housing where they live, I feel I should just STFU and live with what I currently have... I've been in my house since December 2014 and it has it's issues, it's the cost of a nice 2 bedroom apartment closer to the city that wouldn't have what I have here.

It's just dull as fuck and driving anywhere is suburbia hell of 50-60km/h speed limits and SO. MANY. TRAFFIC. LIGHTS.
It seems nice from what I've seen but yeah I like being out in the sticks, not that our towns and cities outside of London come close to yours anyway. An average UK town probably counts as 'extremely rural' in US terms but instead of a 100 mile gap between them they are almost touching, with one (small) main road joining them all up.

If you're bored and interested in nosing around the area for comparison I can PM you a Maps link.

I still consider Teams a place where useful information goes to die
So much this. "I'll just paste it into the chat" - yeah, why do you even bother. And the file storage for groups is just bad. The "wiki" functionality is also horrible.
The only thing that Teams has going for it is that it effectively replaced Skype for Business, which was beyond horrible. Granted, the voice and video call functionality is good, and it even works well from a phone (I even once participated in our daily video meeting while riding home on my motorbike... :D). Alas, the phone notifications are totally fucked up. To avoid receiving notifications on the phone even when I'm actively at the computer, I had to turn off notifications altogether. Well, fine by me, Teams is a work tool and when I'm not at the computer I don't want to be notified anyway. ;)

Reading through how many of FG are dealing with the cost of housing where they live, I feel I should just STFU and live with what I currently have...
Well, I don't have any serious problems with my current place, the rent is so cheap I don't plan to ever move into another rental flat ever (except if I were to move to another town).
But finding a new place right now is horrendous. The market is basically empty, most places being presumably sold without ever being on the open market. And if they are, chances are someone snatches it from pocket change before a normal person even has a chance of looking at it.

I hate the idea of buying properly. The cost, the commitment, the hassle.

I couldn't stand the idea of renting a property, that's just money down the drain...
So glad that's all behind me...I bought a dump in 2013 (only thing I could afford) and spent 7 years completely redoing it, moved in this summer

At least around here it's a lot more old-fashioned and most houses do go for less than the asking price.
Oddly Scotland differs in that the "asking price" is generally £5-10k less than what you're really expected to offer. Or at least that certainly used to be the case, it may have changed in the last 10 years or so...

Oddly Scotland differs in that the "asking price" is generally £5-10k less than what you're really expected to offer. Or at least that certainly used to be the case, it may have changed in the last 10 years or so...

That sounds so bizarre to me. Are there any other scenarios in day-to-day life there where you're expected to pay more than the listed price for something (not including taxes, duties, fees, etc etc)?

In the US, you post what you'd like to get for it. Someone can offer less, and you're free to ignore it or counter. The bid usually has a sort of "expiration date" before they want a reply so they can bid on another home, but you're free to entertain other offers, counter-offer, pit two offers against each others, etc.

In high-demand areas, you may well bid more than asking if you really want to make sure you have a best chance of getting it if you're certain they are likely getting other offers, but in general, "Asking" is generally as-accurate-as-anyone-can-calculate to the actual selling price, because nobody wants to seem too expensive, or accidentally sell for less than they actually want to get because everyone things their house is worth less by the listing price.

What people pronounce the name of the tool as "saw zaw".

And more so by a power greater than the temperature of the sun, people who write/type the name of the tool as "saw zaw".

1611605024835.png

What people pronounce the name of the tool as "saw zaw".
Didn't even know that was a thing, I don't even like the name Sawzall to be honest. I do love a chunky old metal bodied power tool though, disconnect the ground for extra fun.