Dreaded cyclists

It's not legal in my state. Cyclists are required to ride "as far to the right as is practicable" and are required to use cycle lanes when available and obey traffic control devices. The most of them do all these things most of the time - but almost all of them ride straight through stop signs.

It's not legal in my state. Cyclists are required to ride "as far to the right as is practicable" and are required to use cycle lanes when available and obey traffic control devices. The most of them do all these things most of the time - but almost all of them ride straight through stop signs.
I think that's how it's written here, but people will do both, ride on the left so "I can see the traffic coming."

I agree with the fact that assholes are assholes whatever their means of transportation is. What pisses me off about some cyclists though, is that "I'm better than you because I don't pollute" attitude, at least we get that a lot here... My local council even made little paper tags to attach to your bike with "I don't pollute" written on it.
And those are the worst of them all, they're usually the ones that cut in front of you without signalling, that cross the road without making sure you have enough room to stop for them, or that dash in the middle of roundabouts without giving way to anyone, when there are cycle crossings all around it.
I do cycle from time to time, and following the rules gets me from A to B without anyone raging at me, or trying to kill me, while I risked several rear end collisions, while driving, because of cyclists that thought the road belongs to them.

Could it be that people just don't pay attention while driving?

Could it be that people just don't pay attention while driving?

for a cycle lane barrier those things seem huge tbh. How did people miss those? Or rather: how did they determine that those were causing any accidents? I am sceptical.

for a cycle lane barrier those things seem huge tbh. How did people miss those? Or rather: how did they determine that those were causing any accidents? I am sceptical.

I think they were hitting the actual barriers. :dunno:

The above post is what happens when someone never grows out of being the fastest kid in second-grade,

Enough with the dick waggling; I know I am not going to cycle at a competitive racing level, literally no one in here has claimed to be the next Lance Armstrong and no one aside from you is trying. Your "x% faster" is trumped by my "100% not-giving-a-shit." No one is arguing that cycling is athletic and takes skill or training - this thread is about the cyclists who ride around with a superiority complex and enjoy lording it over others -- just like what you are doing right now. I could not give less of a shit if you decide to ride on the road or not, I don't care how you get your jollies off - do it by sticking your own dick in your ear for all I care. Where things become a problem is when anyone starts being a disruption to others.

I've lost count of how many times cyclists have run a stop sign or light in front of my 5,400# off road vehicle with a Deer Juicer 9000 armored front end, causing me to panic-brake to avoid turning them into finely ground meat-waffles -- and then cussed me out for protecting them from their own stupidity. My city spent tens of millions of dollars creating an entirely separate infrastructure for cyclists to enjoy the mountain foothills. We're talking a scale-model highway system, complete with it's own bridges, roadways, and access points. Of course some dick-in-ear cyclists refuse to use it, or the 14-foot wide shoulder on the state highway and insist on riding three-abreast in the highway lanes. Then they bitch and moan about someone passing them within a furlong.

We paid additional hundreds of millions to completely revamp major sections of downtown and feeder streets to promote cycle safety. Cycle lanes are now between parked cars and the curb, so it's not possible to pass them closely, even if you wanted to. We reduced travel lanes, cut 60% of parking, and increased parking rates to make this happen. You know where I still see cyclists riding? In the now single traffic lane rather than on their very expensive and dedicated infrastructure.

I don't care how fast you are on a cycle, or if the only way you get hard is by riding in traffic. If you want to play in traffic when there is dedicated cycle infrastructure available you will be treated as if you don't belong there. If you ignore traffic signals and signs, you are taking your life in your own hands - to paraphrase Douglas Adams, "Do you know how much damage my car will suffer if it were to roll right over you? .... None at all." I'm not "out to get" cyclists, but a whole lot of cyclists seem dead set on throwing themselves in front of tons of moving steel; I don't know of they were cross-bred with lemmings at some point, have no sense of fear, or are just too stupid to recognize danger.

Thank you for your post - it perfectly illustrates the dick-in-ear holier-than-thou cyclist attitude that brings pedestrians and drivers together in the universally shared opinions that cyclists are pedaling sentient bags of extra-glutenous dicks.
Yeah, that's it. My self-deprecating post, where I go out of my way to make fun of my "pea brained" self is "dick waggling". I spend an entire paragraph discussing how much I despise cyclists who break the rules and readily admit that such behavior exists. Meanwhile you admit no fault of drivers. You lump all cyclists together with your definition of "asshole" entirely in ignorance of your own entitlement. You post 100% from a position of "I own the roads because my vehicle is larger and faster". Everything you post is 100% about how cyclists on the road make you feel, because it's all about you and your macho-mobile. You love to call those who are unlike you "assholes". Guess what, I label you a hypocrit sir.

Contrary to what many think, I don't hate cyclists. I hate assholes.

I go out of my way to give them space and I don't "buzz" them with close passes. What pisses me off are the ones like Hiro11 who come in, flop their dick out and think they are a better breed of human because they ride a bike. These are the ones who ride straight through traffic lights and signs, forcing everyone else to swerve or slam on the brakes. The photo above is a good example of the type of project my city invested in, a parallel road system with its own earthworks, bridges, etc.

Most cyclists use it, but a subset refuse and will not only ride out in the travel lane of a multilane state highway, they won't use the equally wide shoulder. I regularly see them riding two, or three wide, cussing at cars and trying to start fights because they decided to play in traffic.

These are assholes.

I have no problem with most cyclists, I've said that repeatedly in this thread, and elsewhere. It's the dreaded asshole cyclist that's the problem. The one who runs lights, disrupts traffic, rages at drivers for problems they caused themselves, and who shows up with his dick in his ear to say, "I'm a faster cyclist than you, I bet you wouldn't last 10 minutes trying to keep up with me" as if anyone else gives a diuretic shit.
I expressly pointed out that I don't do those things and seeing cyclists who do those things annoys me. Are you saying I'm a liar?

Keep it civil please.
Yeah, that's it. My self-deprecating post, where I go out of my way to make fun of my "pea brained" self is "dick waggling". I spend an entire paragraph discussing how much I despise cyclists who break the rules and readily admit that such behavior exists. Meanwhile you admit no fault of drivers. You lump all cyclists together with your definition of "asshole" entirely in ignorance of your own entitlement. You post 100% from a position of "I own the roads because my vehicle is larger and faster". Everything you post is 100% about how cyclists on the road make you feel, because it's all about you and your macho-mobile. You love to call those who are unlike you "assholes". Guess what, I label you a hypocrit sir.

Go ahead and put me in the same pot then , mister racing cyclist 'almost national level' lycra clad asshole.

[Removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here, you dropped this:

1611940437976.png

Here's what I actually said:

... I don't care how you get your jollies off - do it by sticking your own dick in your ear for all I care. Where things become a problem is when anyone starts being a disruption to others.

... If you ignore traffic signals and signs, you are taking your life in your own hands - to paraphrase Douglas Adams, "Do you know how much damage my car will suffer if it were to roll right over you? .... None at all." I'm not "out to get" cyclists, but a whole lot of cyclists seem dead set on throwing themselves in front of tons of moving steel; I don't know of they were cross-bred with lemmings at some point, have no sense of fear, or are just too stupid to recognize danger.

Contrary to what many think, I don't hate cyclists. I hate assholes.

I go out of my way to give them space and I don't "buzz" them with close passes.
I have no problem with most cyclists, I've said that repeatedly in this thread, and elsewhere. It's the dreaded asshole cyclist that's the problem. The one who runs lights, disrupts traffic, rages at drivers for problems they caused themselves, and who shows up with his dick in his ear to say, "I'm a faster cyclist than you, I bet you wouldn't last 10 minutes trying to keep up with me" as if anyone else gives a diuretic shit.

Now, are you done feeling sorry for yourself, or did you have more Victim Complex you want to parade on the internet?

Last edited:

You really ride 27mph on those tiny wheels? That's quite risky: in many places that speed is considered too fast for cars, which are much more stable at that speed.

I've read today your post from the beginning of december, and I think you actually tried to be friendly. However, the "riding is so good" in that message made you appear as a junkie of the bicycle, one of those who do actually do the insane sh*t we all complain about.

Because, let's be honest: from that "let's see how much you last on a bicycle" I gather the same mental attitude (not physical, just mental) of those ricers going 80+ mph on 30 mph roads. This is also why I asked if you really do 27mph on the road. From a safety perspective, that's very much (and even if I don't want to insinuate anything, I do actually wonder whether you stop when safety suggests you to or you just slow down a bit, just like someone going too fast in a car would do)

My position is I wouldn't last one mile pushing hard on a bicycle, but I really do not care at all about that, and I wonder why that should be an important point in the discussion. What's important to me is that people can drive/ride/walk safely, and maybe get some good feeling about it, without being crumpled into absurd rules. I advocate for education of the users, from physics to psychology, and I hate excessive cohercion. I advocate for separate infrastructure for bicycles and cars, I advocate for accountability and responsibility from everyone. Most of all, I point out that we have now a double standard for bicycles and cars: cars are always bad, bicycles are always defended and justified. That's not healthy.

As a final note: I've got a camera in my car and I regularly add new footages to my collection of bad drivers examples. Cyclists hold firmly the first position for dangerous riding (mostly red lights run, for the most part completely disregarding their own safety), cars hold the second with 60% the number of cases compared to cyclists (but a higher number of really dangerous ones), bikers hold third spot with 25% of cases compared to cyclists (and half of them very dangerous) and pedestrians come fourth with 15% of cases compared to cyclists.

Combined to the "we are righteous and we are better than you attitude", and it's easy to understand why cyclists are very disliked.

Let's take the hostility down a few notches and stay away from the threats. Keeping the topic open for conversations and debates, but violence is going to be removed. We can do better as a community.

That's some really nice bicycle infrastructure.

Yup, London is kinda learning from the Netherlands and apparently cycling has increased massively. Meanwhile in Germany some paint is thrown on the road surface to give an illusion of doing something for cyclists and everyone is surprised that predominantly the most fearless are cycling and resort to radical measures as kicking cars when they are getting overtaken too closely...

Meanwhile in Germany some paint is thrown on the road surface to give an illusion of doing something for cyclists
Lisbon: Hold my pastel de nata.

Bike lanes are seen by motorists as "somewhere to pull over with blinkers on".

Apparently he doesn't have even a hint of an instinct of self preservation, serves him right... :-x