The "Things that annoy me" thread

I have 6-year-old 4K TV, and it's already considered "too old" to get an HBO Max app. So the only way i can watch it, is to screen-share from my phone (both are Samsung), which only fills about 80% of the TV screen, the audio is slightly out-of-sync, and you can't use the phone for anything else (unlike the way I can actually "cast" from my phones for Hulu, Youtube, Netflix, and with the Vizio TV in the bedroom).

So annoying. Glad HBO Max is free with my home internet service. (Yes, I'm using it even though it flies in the face of Net Neutrality, but I'm also not cancelling another service instead...so that's me rationalizing my hypocrisy, ha!).

Why not hook up a laptop to the tv?

Why not hook up a laptop to the tv?

Because that's annoying. ;)

Also, I don't have a laptop (just two desktops). I could get a Chromecast or Roku, but then that means switching inputs/sources, which is also annoying. I have a tablet, but it isn't powerful enough to stream HBO AND screen mirror (an old Galaxy Tab A...quite low-power and kinda old)

Last edited:
Because that's annoying. ;)

Also, I don't have a laptop (just two desktops). I could get a Chromecast or Roku, but then that means switching inputs/sources, which is also annoying.

So.... First World Problems?

And that's why I see TVs as nothing more than a screen. All I need for my TV is power and HDMI. Content delivery is managed by other devices that are easier, cheaper and more conveniently updated (a rented box from my Internet provider and a RaspPi, and even a BluRay player (to come back to topic - that has to be replaced because it's broken) ).

Last edited:
I simply bought a big “dumb” screen and connected a home cinema receiver to it. The inputs go into that and are easily exchanged and the screen can’t spy on me. Also, I don’t have to faff around with sound bars and subwoofers.

Are those even sold anymore?
I couldn't find one larger than 32, when I bought my last one last summer.

New annoyance: I ordered foam earbud ear tips for my specific wireless earbuds based on their 4+ star ratings. Now that they are on their way, I'm actually reading the reviews, and there are a TON of reviews where the reviewer says that they are *so* much larger than the standard silicone ones that the earbuds no longer fit in the charging case, so you have to take them off every time you want to charge them...but they only take 1 star off for that, and still give it 4 stars. WTF? How is that only a 1-star demerit?

It's been 10 months. How are professional entertainers still using their computer's integrated webcams to record themselves for pre-recorded interviews, etc?
I'm watching the SF Sketchfest "live stream" right now, and it's a medly of pre-recorded sketches and bits...and almost everyone recorded their bits with, what I can only asssume, are 640x480 2002-vintage digital cameras. Like...people that I know have done countless interviews and other videos over the course of the entire pandemic. I suppose i can have some forgiveness for live-streams, since that can require a more complicated set-up...but when it comes to pre-recorded video...jesus, just use your goddamn phone. It'll be 1x better than whatever shit camera is built into your computer. Or spend $60 and get an HD webcam. Ugh.

And eeeeveryone is clipping their mics. Ugh.

When I realized where this world was going, I bought a HD webcam (once I found a store with them in stock) and a pair of comfortable over-ear ANC headphones with a good microphone. I also try to set the lighting before a meeting.

It's also very obvious who's got an actual internet connection at home and who's using mobile broadband (or even tethering, sheesh) to save money.

I was actually afraid my 50mbps (capped) connection could handle these things, as meetings with 20+ people are a daily thing. Add to that I like to torrent stuff, my wife occasionally works from home, and the kids have their fortnite.

But it’s been fine for the most part...Many people attend the meetings from their phone (noticable from being in portrait mode) and since the screen quality is so shit, it perhaps saves some data?

I was actually afraid my 50mbps (capped) connection could handle these things, as meetings with 20+ people are a daily thing. Add to that I like to torrent stuff, my wife occasionally works from home, and the kids have their fortnite.

But it’s been fine for the most part...Many people attend the meetings from their phone (noticable from being in portrait mode) and since the screen quality is so shit, it perhaps saves some data?
Even if you view 20 webcams on one mosaic screen, bandwidth consumed will be modest because you're not receiving 20 high-quality streams simultaneously. Instead you're likely getting 20 tiny streams plus one higher-quality "speaker" stream, depending on product, settings, yada yada

True. But still with all the other stuff I thought I’d run into problems. I did completely check and optimize all my wifi stuff recently though, getting a faster dongle, choosing another wifi channel and connecting stuff with cable where possible/feasable. This increased my speed measured on my PC by a factor of 5, getting around 48mbps out of a possible 50 coming through the lone. Pretty decent.

I don’t get why IPs are telling everyone ‘you need 150mbps to do streams’ or even worse ‘you need fibre’. No you don’t. Not by a long. You need to set up everything correctly before complaining about speed issues

I don’t get why IPs are telling everyone ‘you need 150mbps to do streams’ or even worse ‘you need fibre’. No you don’t. Not by a long.
If four people all watch different 4k streams, then the bandwidth comes in handy, I guess. ;)

(cue @narf calculating how much that would actually need :p )

Oh yes, give me a huge "dumb" TV anyday.
Smart TVs are a way to make them obsolete faster. No. Fuck off.

If four people all watch different 4k streams, then the bandwidth comes in handy, I guess. ;)

Yeah I currently only have 1 tv capable of 4k streaming but even so, I don’t usually watch TV when I’m in a work meeting

Oh yes, give me a huge "dumb" TV anyday.
Smart TVs are a way to make them obsolete faster. No. Fuck off.

Yes. So much this. Why do they even bother making me a shitty browser? Who surfs the web using the remote control as mouse AND keyboard?

Unpackaged items with labels that, when you peel them off, leave sticky goo on the product. Case in point: the fancy water bottle I just impulse bought. It looks like it could cost €29 in some outdoors store or €35 from a souvenir shop at a Swiss airport, but it was €11 at Lidl. Love that store sometimes.

Also, the dishwasher I bought a couple years back had one of those energy usage stickers on the front of it. Would it have hurt them to get stickers with glue that comes off neatly?

Yes, WD-40 took care of both these jobs. No, I shouldn't have to use WD-40 for this.

Yes. So much this. Why do they even bother making me a shitty browser? Who surfs the web using the remote control as mouse AND keyboard?

Especially when the browser is totally flummoxed by something like an embedded video in HD or 4K. The one thing you MIGHT find it useful for.

:wave:

While streams obviously differ, four different 4k streams won't be fun over 50Mbps. 100Mbps should work well enough.

Another thing that annoys me : people saying they can see 4k versus 1080p. Unless you’re watching on a ginormous screen, on an optimized setup, with a type of video that really shows the advantages of 4, and you’re REALLY paying attention.

Otherwise, nah not really....

Case in point :