The "Things that annoy me" thread

I like to believe I noticed a difference when my TV got support for 4K in the LG youtube app. Could just have been the higher bitrate, though?

65 inch tv maybe 3.5 meters from the couch.

Another thing that annoys me : people saying they can see 4k versus 1080p. Unless you’re watching on a ginormous screen, on an optimized setup, with a type of video that really shows the advantages of 4, and you’re REALLY paying attention.

Otherwise, nah not really....

Case in point :

Eh... I could see a slight difference between 4K and sub-4K shots on my 1440p monitor. I guess according to that video, I'm a liar? :p

But truth to be told, there isn't a massive difference, and I'm definitely a pixel-peeper. That being said, YouTube compression does take a huge toll on image quality. I can definitely see the difference between 4K and 1080p YouTube videos on my monitor.

How close to the screen are you, and what size screen? Because that has a huge impact. I’m like 3 m away on a 43 inch TV(yay for mixing up measurements) and I couldnt tell from that video which was which. It does cut away very fast so it’s deliberately made hard

Some half a metre or slightly above that from the screen, and it's a 27" 1440p screen.

I do agree the screen size and distance make a huge impact. And it was an interesting video, but I just think there are cases for resolutions above 1080p.

Viewing angle is what matters, you two are comparing very different angles. At @NooDle's angle it's highly unlikely to spot any differences, while it's reasonable to do so at large angles like @Tram's.

Also, the dishwasher I bought a couple years back had one of those energy usage stickers on the front of it
Funny story, just got a new pc screen (will post once set up) that also by law has to come with one of those. There are three. All different sizes. All still on their paper base, not actually put down anywhere, just neatly tucked into the manual ? well played Samsung!

Funny story, just got a new pc screen (will post once set up) that also by law has to come with one of those. There are three. All different sizes. All still on their paper base, not actually put down anywhere, just neatly tucked into the manual ? well played Samsung!
They're most likely in there in case this particular screen gets put on display in a store. Big sticker goes onto the screen, one goes onto the price sign... not sure what the third is for :dunno:

I sit pretty close to this 40" screen while watching movies, TV and such so can tell the difference. I keep telling myself I can't because 1080p is just easier but I really can. I've been re-watching the first three seasons of The Expanse using the build in Prime app (just to call back to that discussion) and I can see when it switches.
The auto motion smoothing works pretty well on this Samsung too, something you would miss out on if it was just a dumb screen.

As for things that have annoyed me lately, my work laptop is very much up there. It's a 13" HP Elitebook with an 8th gen. Core i7. For some reason it must be running hot constantly, as the fan is spinning audibly most of the time. Even when it is locked with the lid closed and it's sitting on my desk doing nothing, the fan i audible most of the time, sometimes even ramping up, while it is still doing nothing.

I don't know whether it's the Intel chip, HP's poor design, or Windows 10 that is the culprit here, regardless it just really annoying.

Btw: Yes, they actually specced a 13" 16:9 display on a productivity notebook, that is annoying on it's own.

I've bought many products over the years where the energy sticker is tucked into the manual for the end user to throw in the bin. This dishwasher was the first one I ever bought where it was stuck on the front.

Dropped a bicycle into our TV... :mad:

Guess all this TV talk was timely for me.
Gravity in your house must be pretty strange. :p

Time to upgrade it seems.

I don't know whether it's the Intel chip, HP's poor design, or Windows 10 that is the culprit here, regardless it just really annoying.
Why not all three? ?

i have a Lenovo Aldi with i7/8thgen. While it’s not spinning all the time it does so very frequently... I run the same chip in my personal xps13 which is silent most of the time, unless actually doing something. Really weird is the switch from standby to suspend (or whatever it’s called) that happens at some point. Laptop will just be sitting there, closed and silent, and then just turn into a hairdryer for about 30 seconds.

now that the usb-c port that does power delivery from my dock is also broken (PD just doesn’t work anymore) and since we use the dumb ultimate dock where you can’t choose which port is used, I’m sort of hoping Lenovo won’t bother with a repair and just give me a different machine... ?‍♂️

OneDrive online when viewing PDF's does not utilize the right arrow key as moving pages but scrolling through the folder your in of PDF's. :|

Certain channels advertising their new streaming service in the most annoying way possible to try to get you to get it.