Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

is charging at work an option? Because it seems like the only way to go for your situation...
I do that too, but even if all the spots are taken, I can still charge at home.

And yes, you may need to get out of the petrol filling mental state. Remember A-B-C : Always Be Charging. Doesn't matter how long or how fast, just plug the thing in whenever you can, and you won't have these problems again...

is charging at work an option? Because it seems like the only way to go for your situation...
I do that too, but even if all the spots are taken, I can still charge at home.

And yes, you may need to get out of the petrol filling mental state. Remember A-B-C : Always Be Charging. Doesn't matter how long or how fast, just plug the thing in whenever you can, and you won't have these problems again...

Yes i actually mostly charge at work, my boss even managed to get funds from the company to increase chargers at company parking.
And since the rise of plug-in-hybrids, every AC-charger is full of em, so i'll just usually dc-charge at hypermarkets at night.

So today i left my car to get first firmware update, to fix the 12V issues i had a month ago (and this apparently fixes the fogging windscreen and pssobily enables the arrows on the hud).

Since i'm part of the beta testers, i got rental for free.
And here is the rental for today and tomorrow:

its id3 pro (same battery and motor as mine), and so far the differences to mine as follows:
- no hud
- no glass roof
- lesser radio
- lesser aircon
- manual seats

I could not be arsed to remove these stickers :D

My current fw version is 0564, gonna see what the new one will be.
Still waiting for the other firmware that enables OTA updates.

will keep you posted (even if you don't want).

Apparently the pro version doesn't get paint, only primer :p

I wouldn't have the patience to be a beta tester for VW like this, but it's interesting to follow your adventures.

(and this apparently fixes the fogging windscreen and pssobily enables the arrows on the hud).

I love how us Tesla people don't seem to be the only ones who have no clue what a new update actually entails - at least with minor versions: "it's just bugfixes", right.

Did they actually tape the door shut with that damn sticker? The drivers door even (looks like it)??? ?_?

I love how us Tesla people don't seem to be the only ones who have no clue what a new update actually entails - at least with minor versions: "it's just bugfixes", right.

Did they actually tape the door shut with that damn sticker? The drivers door even (looks like it)??? ?_?

Sanitised for your safety!

yes they did tape it after they had saniticed, but the tape has build in tear so it just breaks when you open the door.

yes they did tape it after they had saniticed, but the tape has build in tear so it just breaks when you open the door.
Sanitised for your safety!
... yeah maybe I should've read what the actual sticker says lol :bangin: And yeah, I can just barely make out the perforation if you know about it. In the end, europcar people aren't as crazy as I was instantly willing to accept they were :p Still seems a little over the top...

... yeah maybe I should've read what the actual sticker says lol :bangin:

I just assumed that’s what it was. Something I’m sure other rental agencies are all doing to try and say that no one was in the car between cleaning and you getting in. “We totally did not stick these on every car in the lot 15 minutes before opening for the day.” ;)

I just assumed that’s what it was. Something I’m sure other rental agencies are all doing to try and say that no one was in the car between cleaning and you getting in. “We totally did not stick these on every car in the lot 15 minutes before opening for the day.” ;)

The car came with one spare ;)

... yeah maybe I should've read what the actual sticker says lol :bangin: And yeah, I can just barely make out the perforation if you know about it. In the end, europcar people aren't as crazy as I was instantly willing to accept they were :p Still seems a little over the top...

I saw a Europcar rental today with a green sticker across the door (torn, it was driving) and was wondering what that was about.. TIL :D

So week has passed with the new firmware update, and its time to update the update about the update.

Things that i got with the v2.0 update:
- Android Auto / Apple Carplay support enabled.
- Wifi network connectivity, for ota updates and wifi hotspot with cubus internet data prepaid packages (with small data caps).
- Car2x connectivity support.
- New HUD elements, mainly the turn-by-turn guides/arrows and adaptive cruise "notifying about the car in front".
- You can set charging locations as "favorities" with time based charging, or even limited speeds.
- Preheating timers appeared in the App so they can be changed anywhere and not just in the car.
EDIT1. - gps now takes note that on longer journeus you might need to charge teh car, so it calculates the route using charging points.

The new arrows only appear if i use the cars build-in gps, and have twice scared me because the turn appeared too fast to the gps to notify me.

The android auto works as intended, with waze turn instructions showing on the dash and lower part of the HUD.

The garage charged the car to 100% after the update, which i saw from the app.

On the weekend the weather turned weird, it was -3c and it was raining.
So the cooled rain froze immediately on any surface of the car, and made the roads slippery af.

And since i didn't melt the ice immediately, it made the car behawe oddly:

with the frozen ice melting slightly in the supermarket parking it apparetly refroze over some sensors, so i had to wait extra hour in the parking before the car let me drive again.

Last edited:
The car won’t let you drive because the sensors are frozen?

Between that and limp-home mode reducing your speed to unsafe levels I am having ever more concerns about your car.

The car won’t let you drive because the sensors are frozen?

i think so, but also because the motor unit is between the rear tires, so that might be getting wrong data and is not disengaging.

Between that and limp-home mode reducing your speed to unsafe levels I am having ever more concerns about your car.

It'll be fine they said....

The limp mode was mostly my fault, and technically so was this :D

all my worries would be invalid, IF i'd have a heated garage and/or charging point at home.

Well, it was out of battery after all...

Well, it was out of battery after all...
_medium.jpg

If completely frozen can’t you just heat it up remotely? Sure it’ll eat some battery but you’ll be able to drive, no?

If completely frozen can’t you just heat it up remotely? Sure it’ll eat some battery but you’ll be able to drive, no?

I would think only by so much but that also hurts when somebody has a low charge in the car so the balance of keeping it warm and still being able to drive to work comes into play.

It'll be fine they said....

The limp mode was mostly my fault, and technically so was this :D

all my worries would be invalid, IF i'd have a heated garage and/or charging point at home.

And if a frog had wings... :p