Food! [The thread that started this section]

Currently bubbling away in the kitchen (and thus basically nothing to see here - on the left is sort of a clue of what's to come :D): Sauerbraten with Printensauce
signal-2020-11-14-172342.jpeg

I'll be back with a pic of the result - that sweet and spicy/aromatic sauce is always very much a success (all the more so because it's so easy, just takes patience).

Here we go! With freshly home made Knöpfle (basically small Spätzle) and leftover green stuff...
791C1225-5CD2-4979-8F19-D4CF5C9AF700.jpeg

Last edited:
First time I've ever tried to do something with a burger beyond just grilling it, and adding cheese and maybe a fried egg. Toasted buns would have been a stretch because I always forget.

Tonight's dinner:
-Beef/lamb double smashburger cheeseburger
-Aged Swiss cheese
-2hr caramelized onions
-Made-myself "burger sauce" (ketchup, mayo, horseradish mustard, sweet pickle relish, paprika, pepper, worchestershire sauce)
-Sliced red onion, tomato, pickle
-Toasted ciabatta roll
-Parmigiano-reggiano frico

Daaaaaaaamn....

20210206_203607.jpg
20210206_210353.jpg
20210206_210418.jpg

Last edited:
Some other thing's I've made that I'm proud of.

Probably the best stew of this type I've ever made. Moroccan beef chili with mint couscous.
20210111_024201.jpg

This was our Christmas dinner:
Butternut squash soup, with sunflower seeds, & raisins (would have been better with dried cranberries). With a dash of cayenne and smoke paprika so it's red and green...this the season!
FB_IMG_1612677462543.jpg

Lemon and sumac grilled chicken, with Israeli cous cous, arugula and apricot salad with honey lemon dressing
FB_IMG_1612677546838.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, everything looks so good.

Harissa Chicken and potatoes with onion, olives and arugula, served with a white and wild rice pilaf with pecans and cranberries. Definitely an odd pairing, but I started the chicken before realizing all of the veggies and herbs we bought 2 weeks ago for the rice wouldn't survive another day in the fridge so we needed to get those cooked-off, too.

Cooking this meal felt like a Double Dare Physical Challenge. At the same time, I was using all 4 burners, the oven, and the microwave. I used the oven timer, the microwave timer, my phone's "timer", and still had to set two actual alarms on my phone because I ran out of timers. I didn't get as much color in the chicken skin as I would have liked, and I over-toasted (aka, "burned") some of the pecans, but in the end, the timing worked out so that the last two timers went off at the same time, and dinner was ready. And only had to run the dishwasher 3 times today. Ha!

Attachments

• 20210216_220510.jpg
    20210216_220510.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 20210216_223646.jpg
    20210216_223646.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
In the spirit of not wanting to just show the successes like some sort of social media influencer, my whole stovetop and counter are covered in oil splatter, I burned the pecans more than I thought, I overcooked the wild rice, and I stepped on a clump of rice somehow and made an oily rice-print stain on the wood floor in the next room. :lmao:

In an unforeseeable and shocking turn of events, the two Chinese friends in Singapore with whom my wife and I are having a lunch/dinner FaceTime date are late.

I repeat, two Chinese people are late for a meal. :blink:

I used the oven timer, the microwave timer, my phone's "timer", and still had to set two actual alarms on my phone because I ran out of timers.
Wat?

Oh, I see, you're probably using iOS where the clock app isn't able to set multiple timers, I bet "for simplicity reasons" or something. I just tried setting multiple timers on my Android phone and got bored after the 12th simultaneously running timer... :ph34r:

I like going down the easy, but effective route: I cooked Chili Con Carne for today and the next two days (being single cooking for one day is just not worth it). It's really easy and yet so delicious. :)

Chili Con Carne.jpg

Wat?

Oh, I see, you're probably using iOS where the clock app isn't able to set multiple timers, I bet "for simplicity reasons" or something. I just tried setting multiple timers on my Android phone and got bored after the 12th simultaneously running timer... :ph34r:

I'll be honest...I never bothered to look "up" in this standard clock app, and never saw the "+" icon. ?
Chili looks good.

3B44A18D-7F56-4DE9-B9B4-8A19E99AB7C3.jpeg

I made this:

A little laborious to slice all those apples and assemble, but definitely worth it.

View attachment 3560590
View attachment 3560591

PXL_20210325_212827881.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210325_212748790.PORTRAIT.jpg

I hope this fixes it.

Yes, the top overcooked a little, but not a problem.
Yes, the miso makes both the batter and the caramel sauce taste different, but it works.

This is weird, Action Bronson's show F**k That’s Delicious, was crazy, he and his crew basically ordering the whole menu in restaurants and diners, but now he's found the gym!

*searches "fish sauce alternatives"*

*clicks on first result*

Here are the top 10 alternatives for fish sauce.

Awesome. No fluffy back-story, right to the list. OK, so let's see...

#1: Soy Sauce, but use slightly less than the recommended fish sauce, and you can add more later if needed.

"Oh, ok! Great!" I think, because I've got soy sauce. So, I proceed to use the soy sauce, and finish preparing the rest of the thai chicken and mushroom soup for the slow cooker.

2 hours later, I come back to that page, and read #2.

#2: Even better than just Soy Sauce, use half soy sauce and half rice wine vinegar.

289f669ebc0c60444cf2c437cf052f30.gif

IF IT'S "EVEN BETTER", THEN WHY IS IT #2?!?!?!

I have a chocolate malt, all is right with the world now.

A3B8ED73-1543-41E7-A264-3FE088455492.jpeg

That photo didn’t load at first and I started wondering what horrible thing someone had done to a single malt. :angel:

Reminds me of the time I was alone in my hotel room in New Jersey, drinking single malt and eating starbursts.

It might have been a low point of my life :LOL:

That photo didn’t load at first and I started wondering what horrible thing someone had done to a single malt. :angel:

Since last Friday evening, I chose to not drink for a while. This is mostly down to having the first vaccine shot on Saturday and the next one being on the 8th, I figure it's probably best to not drink. Little did I know that it actually should help. *shrug* I read that on the internet.