Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You lot (and we lot) kept buying beetles into the 1970's even though there were far better options available.

View attachment 3560252

edit: The one thing that absolutely does my head in about the Metro and any of its siblings is the oval shaped windscreen. Is it even glued in like on other cars from its era or is it just a rubber gasket?
The Metro uses a rubber seal, but it was 1980. Were bonded windscreens really that common? I'm struggling to think of contemporary cars with them, especially cheap superminis.

Why not just save yourself a headache, get a completely new and larger headache and import a Metro? :p

i029903.jpg
Because he isn't RickHamilton? :p

I've been watching old gameshows where a Metro was the top prize. Before they switched to Daewoos. :ROFLMAO:

I've been watching old gameshows where a Metro was the top prize. Before they switched to Daewoos. :ROFLMAO:
Geez..... I saw a Jeep Liberty (Cherokee for EU/UK market) today with a license plate frame that of course was from the dealer the car was bought from. What was fascinating was seeing “Chrysler Dodge Jeep Daewoo.”

Geez..... I saw a Jeep Liberty (Cherokee for EU/UK market) today with a license plate frame that of course was from the dealer the car was bought from. What was fascinating was seeing “Chrysler Dodge Jeep Daewoo.”
I wonder if that later changed to Chrysler Dodge Jeep Chevrolet, the Mopar guys would do backflips. :p

Most of the time the prize was a Nubira estate, an uninspiring lump of thing that looks about as generic as possible. Check out that rear track.

1613382395064.png

I wonder if that later changed to Chrysler Dodge Jeep Chevrolet, the Mopar guys would do backflips. :p

I remember looking under the bonnet of a then brand new Opel Combo a couple years back. Various parts had Mopar written on them, because the entire vehicle in all its 1.3 liter diesel glory was made by Fiat, even though it was wearing a General Motors badge. A year or so later: Opel/Vauxhall gets sold to Peugeot which then merges with FCA.

I can imagine various GM and Chrysler executives turning in their graves back in Detroit.

You Brits are proper weird. A domestic car, despite being worse in pretty much every way than its donor car from Japanland, gets sold more because Rule Brittannia, God save the queen, etc. Does not compute

Also the same thing as the Toyota Corolla vs the Chevrolet/Geo Prizm (which was more of a Sprinter but I digress)

Don't forget the Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro! Bottom line, it's easy to fool people into accepting something 'foreign'.

Always nice to see a yellow Land Rover, as it happens I read about a limited edition 'Trophy' V8 (old) Defender that Land Rover are making using good used examples as bases, yours for only £195k.

Stupid money for a V8 Defender but it's good that they exist.

I'm surprised Texas didn't build a giant snowblower so they could deport the snow back to Canada from a long distance.

Dallara Stradale​

Haven't heard of that car before. Apparently it's Italian and uses a Ford 2.3L ecoboost engine.

flamethrower_38334983_ver1.0_640_360_1548697817972_69184100_ver1.0.jpg

I love this movie and never paid attention.

I do that too...

One of my favorite things is to watch what's in the background of older shows/movies. There's an XR4Ti that shows up on the streets in Seinfeld quite often.
Growing up I used to do this with Rugrats because they used to put goofy shit in the background.