Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

Am I the only one who, given plenty of disposeable money, would like to make a "restomod" of a DeLorean to make it go and handle like it looks? It always looked to me like an Irish Lotus Esprit, or something.

Am I the only one who, given plenty of disposeable money, would like to make a "restomod" of a DeLorean to make it go and handle like it looks? It always looked to me like an Irish Lotus Esprit, or something.
Not even close to the only one if the DMC company wanting to make new ones and the dude who LS swapped one are anything to go by.

Nope. There are all sorts of drivelines that will fit in there and are better than the original. And while you are at it, why not make it handle better too?

I like this idea. Full tube chassis, drivetrain would be subjective, but something that whistled, popped and cracked would be best.

Wankel for added reliability.

I'll see myself out.
Well, you could try to sync the engine replacement cycle with those for the other bits of the car. :unsure:

Some great driving from Randy Pobst. I wonder what the other drivers think about being passed by a Volvo saloon. :unsure:

Jeeps? JEEPS?! Disgusting. Very impressive, I've seen it before. Bloody loonies though, one wrong move and it'll end in tears.

Also I missed the DeLorean discussion, I don't think any piston engine really sounds right for a DeLorean. It should either be a turbine or an electric motor. Maybe a motor powered by a small jet turbine generator? Are you receving this Colin Furze?

Also I missed the DeLorean discussion, I don't think any piston engine really sounds right for a DeLorean. It should either be a turbine or an electric motor. Maybe a motor powered by a small jet turbine generator? Are you receving this Colin Furze?
Yes, I was also thinking that the DeLorean would be a prime candidate for electrification, so just transplant the drive train and battery sections from a totaled Tesla Model S.

Oh, so we agree on the wankel.
Well I hadn't considered that craziness and skipped past your post but it makes a the right kind of noise! :LOL:

I'll still go with electric, a Tesla drivetrain swap would really make this stereotypically slow car into the beast it should be. I'll also have the power generated by fusion please.

1613749010707.png

E46 BMW M3 CSL converted from SMG to manual:

Ruined or fixed? That's the question. many would argue that you shouldn't mess with a limited edition car made by someone as talented as BMW's M-divison, whereas others would argue that you just corrected the one fault the car had when it left the factory.

That being said, the BMW SMG transmission is and automated manual, meaning that the conversion just removes the automated bit of the transmission and gives you a gear stick and a clutch pedal in place of the electro-hydraulics that normally operates the transmission in the M3 CSL.

I also agree with Harry there, that the E-46 M3 CSL is perhaps "peak M3" or even "peak BMW M".

I also agree with Harry there, that the E-46 M3 CSL is perhaps "peak M3" or even "peak BMW M"
Definitely.

"That bark is second only to Mclaren F1."
Indeed, Harry

Tough question. Would you, for example, support a manual swap for, say, a Ferrari Enzo or a Lexus LF-A?

Tough question. Would you, for example, support a manual swap for, say, a Ferrari Enzo or a Lexus LF-A?
I don't see why not, specailly in the case of the LF-A, where many reviews point out that the gearbox is a weak point of the experience.
It's not like those cars are daily drivers or racecars. If I am taking one of those for a drive, it's an event, and I would probably enjoy it more with a manual, but that's me.