Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I am, as of now, officially on the hunt for a rust-free 1990-1994 Subaru Legacy wagon body. Price is... Virtually no object.

... Do we have anybody in Utah?
Paging @Blind_Io and @Kiki. Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Most local car listing are on KSL.com. That would be a good place to start. I will keep an eye out.

There's actually one at a Subaru dealer in Sandy. I've reached out to see if they've been arsed to even inspect it.

Oh, that reminds me. Do you want the steelies and snow tires for that sucker? I, uh, might be coming back through on a Stupid Mission (see above re: Utah)
Sure, if you are anywhere near here (if I have to drive a few hours north or south), I can always pick them up. Thank you!

There's actually one at a Subaru dealer in Sandy. I've reached out to see if they've been arsed to even inspect it.
Mark Miller? I've had pretty good luck with them (at least as good as anyone can with a dealer). I would rather stick a soldering iron up my nose than deal with Larry Miller dealerships or Tim Dahle.

Mark Miller by the looks of things.

And my utah headcanon now includes a family dispute between brothers Mark and Larry over how to run the used car dealership they inherited.

No relation as far as I know. Larry Miller was apparently fairly classy and treated people well, he was a self-made man. His kids who inherited his empire, not so much. Larry Miller dealerships are notoriously high-pressure and use every dirty car salesman trick in the book.

Mark Miller? I've had pretty good luck with them (at least as good as anyone can with a dealer). I would rather stick a soldering iron up my nose than deal with Larry Miller dealerships or Tim Dahle.

Sounds like my problems with Gary Lang auto group and what was Feeny Chrysler now Elgin CJD here. That said, that Chrysler dealer is actually still kind of cool because they have their own body shop so crash repairs were done in house. Dent repair? Subcontracted out...

I am, as of now, officially on the hunt for a rust-free 1990-1994 Subaru Legacy wagon body. Price is... Virtually no object.

Subaru is like the Utah state car. Of course, you'd find one here. Haha!

Subaru is like the Utah state car. Of course, you'd find one here. Haha!
I thought that was the PNW official car.

And Vermont, New Hampshire, Colorado, etc.

The trick is finding a 30 year old Subaru in a salt-free or low-Salt state that hasn't been a mistreated Snow Beater yet. Which essentially limits it to one-owner Grandma's Car™ out of an estate sale. Which is what this one looks like. And, indeed, was what my current one was. Except Pennsylvania is a salt-bomb state.

I'm getting to the point where 'import a Liberty from Australia and call it JDM' almost seems like a sane option.
... Do we have any Australians?

Any of these you want me to look at and I'll work it out to do it.

Today on "Delusional Sellers" - $3000 for a 30 year old non-operational, partially completed project car that is mostly a pile of assorted parts.

Any of these you want me to look at and I'll work it out to do it.
1 and 4 are the same car with totally different contact info in two different places 2 weeks apart. That's somewhat alarming... I'll see what the story is if this dealer one doesn't work out.
That door trim on 3 screams water ingress, and something collision-damagey is going on with that door alignment.
2 is interesting depending on how the "partout" (lol as if) goes. I'll drop them a line and say hi...

Today on "Delusional Sellers" - $3000 for a 30 year old non-operational, partially completed project car that is mostly a pile of assorted parts.
Good price if you need an engine for your SVX and also a Legacy rolling shell. There is substantially less than zero reason to put the two together in the year 2021.

... And I'm not entirely sure the Legacy front crash bar is supposed to look anything like that. The hell is this, some incredibly ill advised drift build?

1 and 4 are the same car with totally different contact info in two different places 2 weeks apart. That's somewhat alarming... I'll see what the story is if this dealer one doesn't work out.
That door trim on 3 screams water ingress, and something collision-damagey is going on with that door alignment.
2 is interesting depending on how the "partout" (lol as if) goes. I'll drop them a line and say hi...

1/4 - Darn it. I'm pretty good at spotting crap like that, but missed completely. *

3 - I figured being a RHD and most likely used for a rural postal route that it wasn't 1000% rust free.

2 - It does look not all together bad, sad that someone sent it to the scrap yard.

I have always wondered about the corner markers on these. Why is the reflector behind the wheels and not in the corner marker?

*Edit. - A quick search of those two numbers, they are from the West Plains area. My brother lived over that way for a number of years. It's near the Arkansas border, so it's in the realm of possibility they have a number from both states.

Last edited:
1/4 - Darn it. I'm pretty good at spotting crap like that, but missed completely.

3 - I figured being a RHD and most likely used for a rural postal route that it wasn't 1000% rust free.

2 - It does look not all together bad, sad that someone sent it to the scrap yard.

I have always wondered about the corner markers on these. Why is the reflector behind the wheels and not in the corner marker?
Far as I can tell: 89 JDM, 90, 91 did not have them. Facelift in 92 onwards did. Possibly a new FMVSS requirement and the US market was still too minor for us to merit a specific light assembly or fender versus the rest of the world?

Dealer was completely unprepared for someone to call up and go "Hey I'm a few thousand miles away, send me pictures of that nugget". They seem to be playing ball, though.

Dealer was completely unprepared for someone to call up and go "Hey I'm a few thousand miles away, send me pictures of that nugget". They seem to be playing ball, though.
I imagine so, especially someone that will actually come and get it and not haggle for hours before seeing it in person.