The Apple Silicon discussion and experience thread

So, I'm still waiting for that Mac Mini. I'm not in any kind of hurry but I've got a decision to make here.

My main Mac today is a 2018 MBP 13" Touch Bar with 16 gigs of RAM and 1TB of storage. Not a cheap computer by any stretch of the imagination. I bought it (and a 27" screen) to replace an aging iMac. The MBP hasn't seen as much portable use as I thought it would, which is why I'm getting the Mini.

I also have a base model MacBook Air 13" 2014 that was bought as a companion to my iMac. Once the MBP came around the Air was demoted to backup machine. The Air is still good with a fully functioning battery, etc.

Once the Mini arrives I have to decide which laptop to sell. Should I keep the MBP around, or should I sell it while it's worth something and keep the old Air for laptop duties? I have a feeling the Air won't see more than one more macOS update if even that.

I was in the exact same situation, 2018 13” Pro, 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, hasn’t seen much portability since I bought it.

i just got my M1 mini, 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSB, a couple of days ago!
So far it’s been smooth. This thing is fast!

So, I'm still waiting for that Mac Mini. I'm not in any kind of hurry but I've got a decision to make here.

My main Mac today is a 2018 MBP 13" Touch Bar with 16 gigs of RAM and 1TB of storage. Not a cheap computer by any stretch of the imagination. I bought it (and a 27" screen) to replace an aging iMac. The MBP hasn't seen as much portable use as I thought it would, which is why I'm getting the Mini.

I also have a base model MacBook Air 13" 2014 that was bought as a companion to my iMac. Once the MBP came around the Air was demoted to backup machine. The Air is still good with a fully functioning battery, etc.

Once the Mini arrives I have to decide which laptop to sell. Should I keep the MBP around, or should I sell it while it's worth something and keep the old Air for laptop duties? I have a feeling the Air won't see more than one more macOS update if even that.
My uneducated piece of advice is to sell the 2018 MacBook Pro while it can still fetch a decent amount of money second hand. The 2014 MacBook Air is probably well past that, so it makes sense to keep it for when you need something portable. If all you do is to use it for web browsing, typing documents and e-mails, watching videos, and maybe editing some photos etc, it will remain useable for that for much longer, heck even my decade-old MacBook Air can still do that just fine.

In other news, my M1 MacBook Air has shipped, so excited... :woot:

I’m going to give the Pro to my wife after it’s been extensively gone through the Genius Bar. This laptop has quite a few issues.

I’m going to give the Pro to my wife after it’s been extensively gone through the Genius Bar. This laptop has quite a few issues.
The Genius Bar fixes.... things? I thought they were just a warranty claims swap desk.

Yeah as far as I know they still do repairs for most devices. I guess that may depend on the country?

Got my M1 MBA yesterday, and is working to migrate stuff over from my other devices to it now. Holy crap, it's fast and responsive! :shock2: Things happen almost instantaneously.

Yeah, they're nice devices.

I have a feeling there's going to be a base model MBA in my life at some point fairly soon. I don't think my old venerable i5 MBA will feel very nice after getting used to the M1 Mini :D

Yeah, they're nice devices.

I have a feeling there's going to be a base model MBA in my life at some point fairly soon. I don't think my old venerable i5 MBA will feel very nice after getting used to the M1 Mini :D

Yes, it's very addictive with something so responsive, easy to get spoiled. Depending on your use case, the entry level one with the 7-core GPU and 8 GB RAM will probably do.

My desk now:
tempImageD9h9Wg.jpg

However I keep it shut most of the time when I'm at the desk:
tempImagegzXc5S.jpg

How do you like the mouse? I’ve been looking at those.

Laptop and screen has been my setup for a couple of years now and I’m looking forward to getting a desktop again because batteries don’t like sitting topped up all the time.

I have the MX Master 2S, the previous one, and while it's a nice mouse it's let down by its driver. It needs their Logi Options to handle the extra buttons and sometimes it just likes to stop working, meaning that you lose the extra functionalities and it reverts back to its factory configuration until you reboot. That may include just the behaviour of some buttons, but also the direction of scrolling.

Other than that, when it works (which is most of the time), it's a really nice mouse!

Mine is the MX Master 3, which I have had since April last year. It has not acted up at all, and played very nice. It was initially a little spotty on the M1 Mac, but it behaves really nice now that I have installed the Logi Options app. I really like that mouse. However, I do have it hooked up via the "Unified Receiver" USB-dongle that comes with it. Since both the keyboard and the mouse has one of those, one is in my desktop PC, the other is in the HyperDrive 12 in 1 hub.

Got my M1 16GB 512GB Mini finally. It's lickety-split fast.

This doesn't have anything to do with Apple Silicon per se, but has anyone arsed themselves to figure out the best way to retain things like macOS unlock via Apple Watch (which requires wi-fi) while using ethernet?

This is a desktop computer, so I want to use gigabit instead of wi-fi but I realized right away that the handy dandy unlock feature won't work without wi-fi turned on.

Got my M1 16GB 512GB Mini finally. It's lickety-split fast.

This doesn't have anything to do with Apple Silicon per se, but has anyone arsed themselves to figure out the best way to retain things like macOS unlock via Apple Watch (which requires wi-fi) while using ethernet?

This is a desktop computer, so I want to use gigabit instead of wi-fi but I realized right away that the handy dandy unlock feature won't work without wi-fi turned on.
Does the laptop need to be connected to the same network?

I leave both Ethernet and WiFi turned on.

You can prioritize Ethernet over WiFi in the Network settings by clicking the three dots buttons then Set Service Order.

I leave both Ethernet and WiFi turned on.

You can prioritize Ethernet over WiFi in the Network settings by clicking the three dots buttons then Set Service Order.

I figured this was the best option. Hopefully having two network connections going won't mess with things.