Energy production, storage, and future technologies

European battery makers power up for a green recovery

Now, China hosts 80 percent of the world’s lithium-ion cell production – the type of battery expected to power the fast-growing EV industry – and most of the capacity coming online in Europe over the next five years belongs to Asian firms.

But some European startups concede they cannot catch up with the large-scale, low-cost Asian incumbents.

Researchers have already identified 13 European battery projects that could be eligible for EU support
https://europe.autonews.com/suppliers/european-battery-makers-power-green-recovery

It shows a difference in color to the background and makes the other blades more noticeable?

Maybe.

1608339579926.png

Good news hopefully? Illinois' power company Excelon wants to close 2x Nuclear power plants because they're running out of money and building fossil fuel plants are more favorable with regulations. Seems some legislators woke up and are going to try and do something about it.

But of course republicans don't want duh gubment to step in, then what are you for? sit on your ass and collect a paycheck?

Good news hopefully? Illinois' power company Excelon wants to close 2x Nuclear power plants because they're running out of money and building fossil fuel plants are more favorable with regulations. Seems some legislators woke up and are going to try and do something about it.

But of course republicans don't want duh gubment to step in, then what are you for? sit on your ass and collect a paycheck?
Because deregulation and private sector profits worked out so well for Texas, hasn't it?

Because deregulation and private sector profits worked out so well for Texas, hasn't it?

Deregulation works really well for a few, right up until it doesn't... It was always this way. and always will be.

One thing I'm hopeful for is a more stable grid. The failures in Texas this year really demonstrate the need for electricity storage.

I know there are political issues at work, but this video is primarily about the technical side of the failure

One thing I'm hopeful for is a more stable grid. The failures in Texas this year really demonstrate the need for electricity storage.

I know there are political issues at work, but this video is primarily about the technical side of the failure

When in Texas a couple weeks back I mentioned to one of the guys I was working with that it gotten to -15f (-28c). Of course they had lost power and the restroom at the track had frozen and flooded. He immediately blamed it on the wind turbines. He was puzzled when I explained that ours, despite be much colder, had continued to turn.

When in Texas a couple weeks back I mentioned to one of the guys I was working with that it gotten to -15f (-28c). Of course they had lost power and the restroom at the track had frozen and flooded. He immediately blamed it on the wind turbines. He was puzzled when I explained that ours, despite be much colder, had continued to turn.

He might be surprised to learn that there are wind turbines that work all year round in places like Norway and Antarctica, where it gets much colder.

Why do Texans think that windturbines are a commie plot to ruin Mericuh or something? Also, why would turbines suddenly stop turning at -15?

Safety reasons, I guess... off the top of my head I can think of icing becoming an issue. The tip of the blade can easily travel at multiple-100 km/h speeds and will thus freeze fairly easily (this is also a major issue for helicopters, no?). Issue 1: ice could start flying off in all sorts of directions and distances. Issue 2: the ice could make the blade itself too heavy to be safe (as it is they’re usually built of lightweight composite fiber stuffs TM). Issue 3: ice may change the aerodynamic profile of the blade so it just doesn’t work anymore. AFAIK heated blades are a thing though... so it’s Full Circle to good old capitalism: heaters cost money and anyway this is Texas, it’s not cold in Texas!

Wasn't it Ted Cruz who tweeted something about solar not working in the cold? As if the sun stops just because the air is below a certain temperature.

Why do Texans think that windturbines are a commie plot to ruin Mericuh or something? Also, why would turbines suddenly stop turning at -15?

. Texas is the center of the petroleum industry in the US and they want to protect it at all costs.

Wind turbines need to be winterized otherwise they have issues much like @eizbaer describes. One issue missed is throwing the blades and assembly out of balance. This can destroy the whole turbine.