Anthony Bourdain

Started reading Kitchen Confidential, then I heard the audiobook version was narrated by Bourdain, so I had to swap over to that. 3 years later, it still hurts that he's gone.

More sorry about what he did to his kid.

Started reading Kitchen Confidential, then I heard the audiobook version was narrated by Bourdain, so I had to swap over to that. 3 years later, it still hurts that he's gone.

I can just about watch some of his episodes by now. Still struggle with it. Nothing has filled his void tho. Bon Appetit helped a bit for me but that kicket the bucket so there's very little that even gets remotely close to the intense quality of what ZpZ and AB produced.

While no child should obviously ever lose their parents, depression can create an endless uphill mental tunnel which is hard to get out of. At worst I can understand why some people can feel it's right to take certain decisions because I've been close that such a space myself.

Yep. I was talking to our secretary today at work, and she said she still can't watch any of it, because it upsets her.

I was watching a Parts Unknown on the weekend, and thought "Oh, I'd love to see him do an episode in Jerome, Arizona with Maynard from Tool, going through his vineyard, and talking about their approach to things.

Then I remembered that will never be able to happen.

Yep. I was talking to our secretary today at work, and she said she still can't watch any of it, because it upsets her.

I was watching a Parts Unknown on the weekend, and thought "Oh, I'd love to see him do an episode in Jerome, Arizona with Maynard from Tool, going through his vineyard, and talking about their approach to things.

Then I remembered that will never be able to happen.
I am not saying he can replace Anthony Bourdain, but "Ugly Delicious" by David Chang gave me a similar vibe, where he goes deeper on the cultural impact and the people that make the food.
So maybe we can wish for that, an episode of Ugly Delicious with Maynard. :D

I am not saying he can replace Anthony Bourdain, but "Ugly Delicious" by David Chang gave me a similar vibe, where he goes deeper on the cultural impact and the people that make the food.
So maybe we can wish for that, an episode of Ugly Delicious with Maynard. :D

I agree Ugly Delicious is the closest substitute. Big fan. Somehow the thanksgiving episode always hits me.

Warning - avoid if this may upset you!

A new 'unauthorized biography' sheds some light on his final days.

Last few days he was a bit off rails and his relationship was in trouble...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/27/dining/anthony-bourdain-biography.html (archive)