Ownership Verified: Fuel? Where we’re going, we won’t need fuel! ==>NooDle’s eGolf

8km is fairly normal imo, and plenty to keep a car battery topped up.

Every car is full of electric features including all of those you mentioned, which also is the reason why alternators these days are around 140A instead of 50A like in the 1990's.

I would at the very least go to a place that sells car batteries and ask if they can put their tester on it.

8km is fairly normal imo, and plenty to keep a car battery topped up.

Every car is full of electric features including all of those you mentioned, which also is the reason why alternators these days are around 140A instead of 50A like in the 1990's.

I would at the very least go to a place that sells car batteries and ask if they can put their tester on it.

Its only a 40ah battery maybe thats the problem? Dealership told me battery was weak at the last service, they told me to use a trickle charger to fix the problem. Haven’t needed to do so until now. Car started just fine today though

Finally stopped freezing. Still a bit of ice on the bonnet. The whole ‘spot the EV’ game is remarkably simple in such cold weather, it’s always the ones who aren’t yet defrosted despite extended periods of driving.

Nothing new to report, charge cable froze to the port because it snowed overnight. A bit of water helped. Range still shit, but thats to be expected. For some weird reason it will be 15 degrees in a few days, which is strange since I woke up in -8 degrees.... we’ll see what happens to the range

Guess o meter went a bit nuts, now it's saying 208 kms on a full charge. It is however, 15 degrees indeed.
Got a longish drive planned for tomorrow, nearly all highway, so we'll see where we end up. I'm guessing 160 kms ish is more realistic, but I've been proven wrong before (in the good sense).

Gave both cars a proper wash and clean inside and out. Reminded me what a bastard the Kona is to wash properly, you can't get to the middle part of the roof without getting wet, and it has all sorts of creases in the bonnet and headlights that are always full of dirt.

Golf is a much more rounded car in every way, so no annoying bits that collect the dirt. Except the rear bumper, that one always has some standing water on it... why don't they have it flow to one side and make a tiny hole somewhere so that the water can get out?

168kms in one go today, with still 10 on the guessometer. Not bad I guess since it’s coldish (5 degrees), I had a car full of people, and there was a ton of wind... still a way off the 200 km mark

e443061fdcd4ab899b465c2621d6a1da.jpg

So... no more ID app for me apparently. I had some warnings a while ago saying ‘you don’t have an ID you’re using the wrong app’ but as of today, no more nice graphs and %. Which is a bit weak from VW.... the app’s there, it’s compatible with my car, so just let me use it?

So I’m back to bar graphs and guessing my battery% like a caveman. 21 and 29% is the same according to the other app....

AA3DEEB5-7079-41D0-85D5-DC6BBB86E697.jpeg

I am pleasantly surprised that the api seems to work the same for both cars, sensible move and tbh unexpected from a German dinosaur oem. Then again typical to cripple the app beyond reason because you have the wrong car... ?‍♂️

Yeah it sucks... so out with the new app and back to the old one. Including a very 2015 looking ui with bars and kms where I want to see a %

10979b0babdfb03a7781923caaac3aa1.jpg

On a related note : my usb port in the car is acting flaky, often not recognizing/charging my phone at all. Happens with different cables so it’s not linked to the cable or phone.

Just now that I’ve gotten used to Apple CarPlay I have to go without. Did a full reset of the system and an update (via USB which ironically worked fine first try) and things are... fixed? Will keep an eye on it since navigating with the builtin satnav is made of fail.

I happened to stumble upon the Skoda app in the iOS App Store recently and started browsing reviews. It's lately received lots of one-star reviews from angry customers that have to log in every time they launch the app (seriously, making an app that can't remember its login info should be grounds for imprisonment), Webasto remote start that doesn't work reliably etc etc. Most reviews had gotten the same copy-pasted reply by some customer relations team that advised the person to call the support number.

I almost bought the cloud based remote control kit from Eberspächer until I checked the app store reviews. Same story there. Most reviews were of the "utterly fucking shit" kind. :p

How hard can this be, really?

I happened to stumble upon the Skoda app in the iOS App Store recently and started browsing reviews. It's lately received lots of one-star reviews from angry customers that have to log in every time they launch the app (seriously, making an app that can't remember its login info should be grounds for imprisonment), Webasto remote start that doesn't work reliably etc etc. Most reviews had gotten the same copy-pasted reply by some customer relations team that advised the person to call the support number.

I almost bought the cloud based remote control kit from Eberspächer until I checked the app store reviews. Same story there. Most reviews were of the "utterly fucking shit" kind. :p

How hard can this be, really?

The biggest issue seems to have been a "we need an app" to check that box rather than "How do we integrate our cars to a digital world" focus from the car manufacturers.

It is spectacularly shit. I don’t get the ‘you haven’t logged in for 24hrs so we’re going to need your email, password, fingerprint and shoe size before we can continue’ anymore. But it is super slow and unresponsive compared to the id app.

Best of all, the main attraction of this is the remote heater control, which works, unless when it’s actually cold. Because then, everyone wants to use it at the same time, and the servers get full

It is spectacularly shit. I don’t get the ‘you haven’t logged in for 24hrs so we’re going to need your email, password, fingerprint and shoe size before we can continue’ anymore. But it is super slow and unresponsive compared to the id app.

Best of all, the main attraction of this is the remote heater control, which works, unless when it’s actually cold. Because then, everyone wants to use it at the same time, and the servers get full

hahaha this is great. Not for you, of course. But for the rest of us watching you rage :D

I remember a certain review of the Eberspächer app. There wasn't enough room in the UI to show double-digit negative degrees. Anything under -9 became "-..." which actually used more space than "-10" would have.

The biggest issue seems to have been a "we need an app" to check that box rather than "How do we integrate our cars to a digital world" focus from the car manufacturers.

A: "We need an App!"
B: "What do we want it to do?"
A: "I dunno, everyone else has one, just do what they do!"
B: "But we don't have anyone that's done an app or any customer facing software before!"
A: "All those pesky startups are doing it, and they don't have experience. Just let the intern handle it!"
B: "he's only here for another 6 weeks..."
A: "SIX weeks!?!? That should be enough for 3 apps! Get on with it!"

Result:
I remember a certain review of the Eberspächer app. There wasn't enough room in the UI to show double-digit negative degrees. Anything under -9 became "-..." which actually used more space than "-10" would have.

:bangin:

A: "We need an App!"
B: "What do we want it to do?"
A: "I dunno, everyone else has one, just do what they do!"
B: "But we don't have anyone that's done an app or any customer facing software before!"
A: "All those pesky startups are doing it, and they don't have experience. Just let the intern handle it!"
B: "he's only here for another 6 weeks..."
A: "SIX weeks!?!? That should be enough for 3 apps! Get on with it!"

I don't think this is very far from the actual truth :LOL:

It seems Volvo has done rather well with their Volvo On Call service.

Opel, on the other hand, had just managed to get General Motors' OnStar service off the ground in Europe when PSA bought the company. Service ended on december 31, 2020 and the OnStar hardware is now useless. Thanks.

I don't think this is very far from the actual truth :LOL:

It seems Volvo has done rather well with their Volvo On Call service.

Opel, on the other hand, had just managed to get General Motors' OnStar service off the ground in Europe when PSA bought the company. Service ended on december 31, 2020 and the OnStar hardware is now useless. Thanks.

Serves you right for buying a Peugel/Opeot in the first place!

Or do they go by Stellantis now? Who knows

Still getting shitty range, 167 kms yesterday and all low speed stuff so it should technically be higher.

Tyre pressures were low, so that may be something to do with it (2.2 instead of 2.8). Reinflated the tyres, will see how it goes now.

Also, reached 50k kms, so yay?
Should normally gotten there at around 2 yrs of driving, but breaking myself (twice) and covid meant no driving and thus ‘only’ 50 k over nearly 3 years...

I can’t math. Or something is going on with charging. Follow my logic here.

Car has 36 kwh of which I can use 32.

Plugged the car in with 6% range left, which means 32 x 0,94 = 30,08 kwh.

Yet somehow I managed to charge 31,34 kwh. Where did I lose a bit over 1 kwh? I’m racking my brain but can’t figure it out....

Charging losses. While the car is charging, electronics are running and consuming power. If that charge was overnight, assuming ~10 hours, that's just over 100 watt standby power consumption - very much in the expected ballpark.