Ford's Mustang Mach E

As long as the Mach-E hasn't been built at or before February 3rd...

Been keeping an eye on that, only a handful of reports and seems an easy fix, hopefully they roll it out quickly.

Other problems I've picked up on are an electrical buzzing from the instrument cluster which is either intolerable or no problem at all depending who you ask, and badly aligned panoramic roofs causing wind noise (and a couple of failures).

All sounds pretty normal teething problems thus far... We'll see!

There was also a recall for loose subframe bolts.

With that being said, it does look good, still haven't watched any reviews to see how it performs in the real world.

And none of those sound like EV rushing problems. The recent Explorer refresh had weird snafus as well.

There was also a recall for loose subframe bolts.

With that being said, it does look good, still haven't watched any reviews to see how it performs in the real world.
Yes, thankfully the subframe bolts won't affect European cars as they're all getting checked at the docks in Antwerp before being sent out to customers.

It'll be interesting to hear your experience with it. As with the Model 3 I think putting a UK plate on the front deals with the slightly funky front end and there's a lot to like.

It's thoroughly excellent. Had a one hour unassisted test drive (thanks COVID!). Here's a few loosely gathered thoughts, some written to address questions and concerns by some on the UK owners group.

Performance was better than expected for the RWD, felt very lively and while slower off the line than an AWD, the 30mph-70mph range you really use was immense. Suspension was firm, in a good way. It wasn't harsh, just firm. Flat on turns, although I couldn't find a decent twisty A Road to really try it. You could feel it had some heft, but it felt fun and engaging. Brakes are quite grabby as reviewers have noted, but I found I quickly adapted to them and soon found a smooth way of driving in one pedal.

Sound insulation was very good, none of the wind noise complaints from the US cars with the dodgy panoramic roofs, this one was fitted flush to the windscreen and was very quiet.

The drivers display buzz mentioned by the Americans was there, but was incredibly quiet, none of my passengers could hear it and you had to have everything turned off to notice it. As soon as you were moving or even had the radio on volume 1 you couldn't hear it.

Interior seemed very well put together, amazed at the rear seat space. Driver's seat was comfortable, and materials felt very good. Better quality than our S550 Mustang or the Mk5 Mondeo we had prior. Most touch points feel very good, the seats feel good, the dash is nice and everything opens and closes well with a solid feeling. Not all of the materials, and some common Ford parts bin items like the stalks aren't up there with a true luxury car but it's 90% there in my eyes.

All in, a very appealing package. Shame about the colour, not what I'd have picked.

IMG_20210412_174746.jpg

IMG_20210412_174812.jpg

It's thoroughly excellent. Had a one hour unassisted test drive (thanks COVID!). Here's a few loosely gathered thoughts, some written to address questions and concerns by some on the UK owners group.

Performance was better than expected for the RWD, felt very lively and while slower off the line than an AWD, the 30mph-70mph range you really use was immense. Suspension was firm, in a good way. It wasn't harsh, just firm. Flat on turns, although I couldn't find a decent twisty A Road to really try it. You could feel it had some heft, but it felt fun and engaging. Brakes are quite grabby as reviewers have noted, but I found I quickly adapted to them and soon found a smooth way of driving in one pedal.

Sound insulation was very good, none of the wind noise complaints from the US cars with the dodgy panoramic roofs, this one was fitted flush to the windscreen and was very quiet.

The drivers display buzz mentioned by the Americans was there, but was incredibly quiet, none of my passengers could hear it and you had to have everything turned off to notice it. As soon as you were moving or even had the radio on volume 1 you couldn't hear it.

Interior seemed very well put together, amazed at the rear seat space. Driver's seat was comfortable, and materials felt very good. Better quality than our S550 Mustang or the Mk5 Mondeo we had prior. Most touch points feel very good, the seats feel good, the dash is nice and everything opens and closes well with a solid feeling. Not all of the materials, and some common Ford parts bin items like the stalks aren't up there with a true luxury car but it's 90% there in my eyes.

All in, a very appealing package. Shame about the colour, not what I'd have picked.

View attachment 3560783

View attachment 3560784

Damn you, you now have me configure one!

Screenshot_20210412-181155__01.jpg

I do like that the config page does not have a ton of "options" to select, just the trim/colors, and tada.

Indeed.

RWD or AWD
Color
Battery size
Leather upholstery pattern
Pack Tech yes or no

Done

Meanwhile, in Germanistan:
1618307026863.png

It's honestly strange how the switch to EVs seems to crack these crazy long options lists. I mean... early on I could understand, the EV models of comparable ICE cars (e.g. e-golf) came well-specced from the start, to at least in part account for the high price. But now, with more purpose-built EVs, and even "cheaper" models, it seems the trend has continued to reduce options - or is that just my impression because I'm clueless?

Maybe it's because it's a foreign import? If a car is being made on the other side of the planet, it's no surprise that the car manufacturer is trying to steer customers towards a handful different stockpiled variants rather than building bespoke configurations for every customer.

Even less in the UK, presumably because they're being built in small RHD batches. Only options are:
Colour
AWD/RWD
Battery

Over here we only have one interior trim, black, and the tech pack is tied to the longer ranger batteries. That's it. Nice and simple! I think when production shifts to Cologne for the European cars the traditional options lists will return.

Even less in the UK, presumably because they're being built in small RHD batches. Only options are:
Colour
AWD/RWD
Battery

Over here we only have one interior trim, black, and the tech pack is tied to the longer ranger batteries. That's it. Nice and simple! I think when production shifts to Cologne for the European cars the traditional options lists will return.

And the standard 4 liter V6 will be replaced by a 1.8 liter four... oh wait.

And the standard 4 liter V6 will be replaced by a 1.8 liter four... oh wait.
Funny you say that, Ford dropped the Ecoboost in the UK this year as they made up something pitiful like 9% of all Mustang sales. Seems us Brits want a Mustang to have a V8. We'll see how many want it as an EV crossover. ?

Funny you say that, Ford dropped the Ecoboost in the UK this year as they made up something pitiful like 9% of all Mustang sales. Seems us Brits want a Mustang to have a V8. We'll see how many want it as an EV crossover. ?
Nearly every person in the world knows you buy the mustang for the looks and sound. It was a good effort to give people an option, but funny how those who can afford one said “the fuck are you smoking, Ford?”

Funny you say that, Ford dropped the Ecoboost in the UK this year as they made up something pitiful like 9% of all Mustang sales.

In hindsight, this makes perfect sense. To most Europeans, the words "American car" means V8. That's also why Chevy's European operations didn't work out.