The "Things that annoy me" thread

People need to learn to leave other people’s cars alone... if I’m driving and a passenger makes any move of changing anything except their own seat heater or something: “don’t you dare!”

People need to learn to leave other people’s cars alone... if I’m driving and a passenger makes any move of changing anything except their own seat heater or something: “don’t you dare!”
"sit down, shut up, hang on"

We've been taught for decades to always use our headlights while driving, all year round. Most cars sold here have had automatic lights wired to the ignition. The glaring exception has been Mercedes which were too stubborn to reconfigure their cars for our small market, which meant that every car you saw with the lights off was a Mercedes. These days are gone, because W124's are in the hands of teenagers with baseball caps now and they usually have everything turned on and then some. Every possible combination except the road legal one. But I digress.

Whoever came up with the law that mandated separate daytime running lights but only in the front should be fired and fined. It's lead to countless clueless Toyota drivers driving around at night with no rear lights. Most European cars above absolute poverty spec have a sensor that turns the proper lights on when needed, but Toyotas never have that.

The issue is compounded by displays with more and more LCD/OLED screens which have to be illuminated at all times to function, as opposed to gauges which work when they are off, but when it gets dark you can't see them well, so it triggers you to turn on your lights. The larger screens both in and out of the gauge cluster are already/always lit up now, so from inside the car, it's not quite as obvious that your lights aren't on.

In other news, my dishwasher came with a quick-start guide, and a "full" owner's manual. "Full" is in quotes, because I just came across a part where it mentions that you may have to empty the "foreign object cup", and then it says "the Quick Start Guide has detailed information about how to empty it."

What?! No. The Owner's manual should have every single bit of info, and then the quick start guide is just supposed a filtered, streamlined version of the basic operation, and maaaybe the error code reference guide.

Last edited:
The first time I drove my then-manager's 2008 or something Avensis (incredibly dull car) I couldn't get my head around the instrument cluster that was so far back in the dash it always had to be illuminated to see it. Up to this point we had been fine with white lettering, I don't know why they chose to make it that way.

I definitely think there should be tail lights with DRLs at all times, even if they are only small LED equivalents of the DRLs. Are US marker lights on at all times? Were they in the bad old days where they had to ruin every nice car design to graft them on?

The first time I drove my then-manager's 2008 or something Avensis (incredibly dull car) I couldn't get my head around the instrument cluster that was so far back in the dash it always had to be illuminated to see it. Up to this point we had been fine with white lettering, I don't know why they chose to make it that way.

I definitely think there should be tail lights with DRLs at all times, even if they are only small LED equivalents of the DRLs. Are US marker lights on at all times? Were they in the bad old days where they had to ruin every nice car design to graft them on?

Not to my knowledge, no. DRL’s as far as I know we’re first required in Canada in the early 90s at least. But that was a different time because gauges weren’t always illuminated.

I remember in the mid-1990s reading that DRLs would likely be mandated soon, so GM was ahead of the curve and started adding them. The mandate never came, but GM still lots them in quite a few of their vehicles.

I think we've had this conversation before, but I think if you have DRLs, you should have auto lights. Period.

My truck has auto lights, but not DRLs. I do not use the auto lights, I do not like auto lights. It all stems from going into a tunnel in a truck with auto lights and not knowing where the light switch was to turn them headlights on. Then about the time we left the tunnel, the auto lights came on.

Not to my knowledge, no. DRL’s as far as I know we’re first required in Canada in the early 90s at least. But that was a different time because gauges weren’t always illuminated.

I still remember driving in the USA and getting flashed by oncoming drivers because of the DRLs ?

AI WILL REPLACE US! ?

My local thai place has a "khao pad fried chicken". Basically a plain fried rice with 3 fried chicken cutlets on top. The pieces of chicken have gotten smaller and smaller over the past year, so we decided to select the "add chicken" option on GrubHub, their online order platform.

Rather than giving extra of the fried chicken that the dish already comes with, they instead use the same amount of fried chicken, and then add their normal plain stir-fried sliced chicken breast in with the fried rice, so there's two different kinds of chicken in the dish :lmao:

I have an ulcer on the tip of my tongue. It's annoying me. My Grandmother used to have this stuff, that had a small plastic straw under the cap, and when applied to the inflamed area made it go numb. Probably a carcinogen, so I'm sure it's not available anymore, much like Mercurochrome. But it worked! And I wish I had some at the moment. Ice only works for so long.

"BOGO", ass annoying a term as it is, used to mean "buy one, get one" as in if you buy one, you get another free.

However, in recent years, that use has almost completely been dropped, in favor of "GOGO 1/2" or "BOGO 50%", while still referring to it as a a "BOGO" offer.

Just got a promo email a few minutes ago from a restaurant chain with the subject "Check out our new BOGO offer!"

But inside, their "new BOGO offer" is a buy one, get one half-off promo. So basically BOGH (boy one, get half).

The worst hotel that I’ve stayed in since five years ago has a 3.5/5 star rating on Google Maps and 6.6/10 points on Booking.com. :rolleyes: It’s a complete dump in a location that is best described as Little Skid Row.

I only booked it because everything else would have meant going over budget, but damn do I wish I had spent $20 more for that one night.

Also, the poverty, neglect and indifference I see in America keep shocking me.

As a US citizen, it is still shocking, but most seem to ignore it.
I used to help out in homeless shelters quite a bit in my teenage years. Back then and today it just feels so exhausting and overwhelming to correct. Because no matter what you do it’s never enough and it feels like nothing changes even if you are helping 10, 15 maybe 20 people at a time. There’s still so many that aren’t getting help and it feels like you’ve done nothing. It l feels like it’s being fought against. Not the usual “the rich are getting richer they’re hurting the low income guy “but in the sense that even if you help people does the amount that are becoming homeless or having some sort of mental issue that’s preventing them from them getting better on their own and with services to help people. You feel very alone helping these people despite there being quite the groups that are working with you.

Recipes with 'crack' in the name.
"crack chicken"
"crack cookies"
"crack cake"
"christmas/harvest crack"
"crack rolls/sticks"
"crack dip"
"crack pie"
"crack potatoes"

"This recipe so good, everyone calls it crack because (OMG, I'm so clever) they can’t stop eating it!"

If that's the case, why is there no "heroin stew" or "methamphetamine fluffernutter balls"?

I'll allow "crack candy" as long as the candy itself is cracked, like peanut brittle, peppermint bark, etc.