Random Thoughts....

I think I prefer the way the zebra pen itself looks with the stainless steel and whatnot, but I much prefer how the Pilot writes, esp equations. Thoughts? Does it look the same?

IMG_3971.JPG

I really like those rolling ball ink pens. I had a really nice one at work with an eraser, I never looked up how it worked but I think the ink turns transparent when heated up because the eraser end would never wear. It disappeared between my current infrequent visits to the office. I do find that my writing is better with that style though.

When I was in primary school or early secondary school (I can't remember which, some age between 6 and 12), fountain pens were all the fashion so I had a Parker fountain pen for years. Seems crazy now, I wasn't delicate so bent the tip and had ridiculously thick writing.

Reactions: LP
I think I prefer the way the zebra pen itself looks with the stainless steel and whatnot, but I much prefer how the Pilot writes, esp equations. Thoughts? Does it look the same?

View attachment 3560874
Pilot Rollerballs are this dillema: write great, look very utilitarian.

Reactions: LP
Pilot Rollerballs are this dillema: write great, look very utilitarian.
How are Lamy's rollerball pens? Do they write similarly, or are they not using "rollerball" the same way as Pilot?

edit: looks like someone's found a "hack" to use Pilot rollerball G2 refills in a Lamy Safari:

Last edited:
You guys actually write things down? I just use my phone for scribbling down notes...

A semi-serious question: why don't submarines have some kind of very analog and idiot-proof way of telling the world where they are if they accidentally sink to the bottom? Some snowmobilers like to go on open water, and they usually have a plastic jug of some sort tied to a long piece of string for when you inevitably mess up and sink.

1619262006548.png

A semi-serious question: why don't submarines have some kind of very analog and idiot-proof way of telling the world where they are if they accidentally sink to the bottom?
Because it has to be released somehow and when that mechanism fails and releases the buoy accidentally, the submarine broadcasts its position to the whole wide world. Which is exactly what it isn’t supposed to do.

I have a flat piece of rock and a chisel....

I'd tell you to stop hammering it's too fucking early in the morning!

I'd tell you to stop hammering it's too fucking early in the morning!
Chisel , head, You, do the math.

What? I'm not grumpy, I'm normal.......I just hate people.....

You guys actually write things down? I just use my phone for scribbling down notes...
Only work notes, but even now I'm just OBS recording those into video files and writing everything online on Atlassian confluence.

I just got a notepad and pens so I can scribble stuff for fun when I'm bored and watching some netflix/hulu or whatever and wanting to keep my hands occupied.

Or practicing deriving formulae.

How are Lamy's rollerball pens? Do they write similarly, or are they not using "rollerball" the same way as Pilot?

edit: looks like someone's found a "hack" to use Pilot rollerball G2 refills in a Lamy Safari:
Disclaimer: I am a pen nerd.

Any rolling-ball type of pen (ballpoint/rollerball/gel/whatever) is really only as good as the cartridge inside, at least far as the writing itself goes. The "pen" itself only holds the cartridge. Whether you like that part or not depends on your preferences for size/weight/grip shape/etc.

The Lamy Safari has a triangular-ish grip to encourage a "proper" grip. Some like it, some don't. I don't mind it. YMMV. Other Lamys will be different. The 2000, for example, has a round grip area.

I actually prefer a good fountain pen, but for rolling-ball pens it's gel>rollerball>>>ballpoint, except for the occasional circumstance where only an oil-based ink will work so you need a ballpoint. Ballpoints just require too much pressure in order to write; I cramp quite quickly if I have to use one for any prolonged writing. Rollerballs and gels don't require nearly as much pressure, and fountain pens only have to touch the paper to write. Pilot rollerballs used to be my favorite but the newer gels have surpassed them for me. I quite like the Pentel EnerGel pens.

Because it has to be released somehow and when that mechanism fails and releases the buoy accidentally, the submarine broadcasts its position to the whole wide world. Which is exactly what it isn’t supposed to do.

I can think of a couple other things that could happen by accident that would reveal the submarine's position to the whole world.

Agree completely.
Now, show us your fountain pens!
You should definitely have a pen nerds thread if there isn't already an old one for construction workers to unearth from a shallow grave. The conversation has already gone over my cack-handed-writing head so I'm interested to see what other implements people have.

Edit: https://forums.finalgear.com/threads/pens-pencils-and-writing-supplies.59706/

Pen Nerds is still a better thread title, maybe Q or one of the mods can change it.

Last edited: