Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

FL I4 RWD
FL I4 AWD
FT I4 FWD
FL V8 RWD

Der8auer previously had suspension problems with his Audi RS5, now has a problem that after heavy braking it pulls to one side.

Turns out the right hand side has what appears to be a LHS rotor!

I sell parts but I don't get very many high-end cars like that if any at all. The only car I've ever come across with separate parts numbers for LHS and RHS front discs is the Touareg. The air channels inside the rotors are mirrored depending on which side the rotor goes on. I can see how a drop in cooling capacity can affect braking power.

I can also see how it would be very easy to make this mistake when doing a brake job (or ordering parts), considering that 99.999% of cars use the same rotor for both sides of the same axle.

Where my internet name stems from. Apparently today 11 years ago was when I went to check out my first car.

25567_413806853652_8062692_n.jpg
25567_413806723652_7599431_n.jpg

The blue on those wheels - paging @IceBone!

There are much worse first cars. What's the plate about? Was the year accurate?

The blue on those wheels - paging @IceBone!

There are much worse first cars. What's the plate about? Was the year accurate?
I don’t know, my guess is the year of the previous owner’s birthdate. It’s a 1993 model year ford pickup.

It’s a 1993 model year ford pickup.
Of course it is, I'm an idiot and I'd had a drink. :LOL:

Looks like it belongs on a 1983 Monte Carlo SS. A plate like that would be worth a fortune here but I suppose they aren't bought and sold like that in the US.

Went and got dad's name taken off the tow rig today. The clerk at the title agency noticed something odd. The DMV had registered and titled it as a bus.

I'd always wondered why the registration fees didn't quite line up with what they should have for a truck of its weight.

Why is it that I suddenly appreciate the Fiat X1/9 so much? I know Beni always had them (in bits if I remember correctly) but they didn't seem special to me, now I understand them and would quite like to own one. :p

For now I'm just inclined to buy this T-shirt but I'd very much like to own one at some point.

McLaren Has Too Many "Special" Cars!​

McLaren Has Too Many "Special" Cars!​

My theory is that McLaren is still in F1 team mode, always developing their cars further. Just with the street cars, they give every tiny improvement a new model designation. I've given up on trying to keep up some years ago. It doesn't help that they all look the same.

My theory is that McLaren is still in F1 team mode, always developing their cars further. Just with the street cars, they give every tiny improvement a new model designation. I've given up on trying to keep up some years ago. It doesn't help that they all look the same.

Probably more to do with to with lack of cash.

They ran the F1 team into ground, so much so, they still don;t had a proper title sponsor, apart from a dodgy cigarette company.

Recently they sold their HQ and have to lease it back.

They laid off 25% of their staff and did a big restructure last year.

Joys of owning McLarens:

Went and got dad's name taken off the tow rig today. The clerk at the title agency noticed something odd. The DMV had registered and titled it as a bus.

I'd always wondered why the registration fees didn't quite line up with what they should have for a truck of its weight.

Over here, your friendly police officer would be more than happy to write you a nice ticket for operating a vehicle without a driving license. Unless you happened to have a bus license, that is.

Over here, your friendly police officer would be more than happy to write you a nice ticket for operating a vehicle without a driving license. Unless you happened to have a bus license, that is.
In the US, you don't actually need a bus license until there are more than 15 people on board.

In the US, you don't actually need a bus license until there are more than 15 people on board.

I thought that rule went out the window when you license said bus as an RV?

Not in this state - if it's going to have more than 15 people on board, both the vehicle and the driver need to be in Bus mode, but the RV conversion typically involves reducing it to fewer than 15 legal seats anyway.

Not in this state - if it's going to have more than 15 people on board, both the vehicle and the driver need to be in Bus mode, but the RV conversion typically involves reducing it to fewer than 15 legal seats anyway.
So you just write in sharpie "Not Legal" on the others, sweet. :D