Post Your Watches

It’s here! The 19mm lug width would annoy me if I didn’t already have a bunch of straps for my current 19mm watches, and it really classes up anything it’s worn on. On lizard or black alligator it’s almost too formal for daily wear. Brown alligator and vintage leather are much better for day to day.
0C728848-BFAB-4526-9AFB-5B1F2B2677DD.jpeg
D1BDD6DB-AE82-455F-BE9B-E6FBA95AFF97.jpeg

That's a beautiful watch, I love that style.

Thanks! I’m taking a bit of time getting used to the narrowness, but it’s growing on me fast.

looks nice and blingy on polished mesh
86CED990-F840-470F-8D30-09B486BC494C.jpeg

Obligatory closed shot:
7E2DB0C9-C1C9-4EB4-9E83-1AF7E61510E3.jpeg

Nice Reverso! I'd like to add one to my collection some day.

For the past few weeks I've been pondering getting a new watch.

I already have two watches: a Casio EF-125 which I got as a present from my uncle's family after my Confirmation, and a Swatch Irony Chrono watch that I got as a present from another uncle's family even before, after my First Communion. So yeah... I got watches as sacrament gifts. But I digress.

The thing is, I haven't been wearing them much, and I'm not just talking about the past year or so. The Casio I just don't find that good-looking, with its fake carbon fibre faceplate and its standard metal wristband makes it somewhat uncomfortable to wear it for a longer period of time. The Swatch is, and a lot of you reading this thread might find this a stupid reason, just too complicated for my taste. It has some extra bells and whistles that made it cool in my eyes back in early years of elementary school, but for a long time now, I just want something that tells the time. Also, it has a similar type of wristband. I'll provide pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Funny thing, I specifically asked for that Swatch and didn't ask at all for the Casio, but I found myself wearing the Casio much more often, even if I think it's an uglier watch and probably even less comfortable than the Swatch. That brings me to the idea of a new watch.

I don't want anything particularly fancy, essentially, I just want a timepiece that tells the time and that isn't particularly uncomfortable to wear. Being able to wear it with jeans and a T-shirt/sweater/plaid shirt and other, similar casual pieces of clothing would also be a necessity, as that's how I dress 99% of the time I'm out, and if I need to dress fancier, I can take the Swatch. If it can last a while while not breaking the bank, that'd be awesome.

Now, I'm not in a hurry to buy a new watch, so I don't have a set budget, but as I said, it'd be awesome if it didn't break the bank. I've been thinking about different styles and types, but the main idea I had for the past few years was a leather-band watch, but the more I learn about style and watches, the more I think it'd look stupid combined with my regular outfit. Another type of watch I've liked ever since I saw some cool kids wearing it in high school and early years of uni is a retro aluminium digital Casio. I even stumbled upon reviews of a Casio A700, a very thin, retro-looking, yet modern, aluminium digital watch from Casio, that even comes with a sort of meshed metal wristband, which is in my mind much more comfortable than what my current Casio has, unless it plucks too much wrist hair.

I see that watch being easily a part of my outfit, and I heard Casios are excellent bang-for-buck. So what's the general opinion on such Casios? I saw them going for about €40, which IMHO isn't a bad price, and if it gets lost/broken, it can easily be replaced with another one or something better. But more importantly, what's the opinion on those meshed metal wristbands? That might seem stupid, but the comfort of a watch really comes down as one of more important things to consider now. :D

Also, the pics I promised. The Casio looks just like the one in picture, while the Swatch has a different faceplate (it's blue and has a slightly different overall design), and the smaller pointer handles are a bit different:

ycs564g-swatch-800x800.jpg
EF-125D-1AVEF.jpg

I’ve been wondering for a while if there is such a thing as a “dumb watch” with just one or two bluetoothy functions.

criteria:

- needs to get the time from my iPhone
- must have a round case and be “analogue”, i.e. have a face & hands
- must be thin and lightweight
- should come with a mesh or leather strap
- all gimmicky functions optional

All I really want is something unobtrusive that I don’t need to adjust when I cross time zones. What I currently have is made for Skagen, called a “Hagen Connected” and does the job, but is far too bulky for my taste. I think it’s from the line that was the Fossil group’s first attempt at connected watches. I do love my other Skagen (233XLTMB) that I’ve had for almost 15 years.

Oh yeah, if I could afford a Grand Seiko it would probably be this one.
Great Grand purchase.

I’ve been wondering for a while if there is such a thing as a “dumb watch” with just one or two bluetoothy functions.

criteria:

- needs to get the time from my iPhone
- must have a round case and be “analogue”, i.e. have a face & hands
- must be thin and lightweight
- should come with a mesh or leather strap
- all gimmicky functions optional

All I really want is something unobtrusive that I don’t need to adjust when I cross time zones. What I currently have is made for Skagen, called a “Hagen Connected” and does the job, but is far too bulky for my taste. I think it’s from the line that was the Fossil group’s first attempt at connected watches. I do love my other Skagen (233XLTMB) that I’ve had for almost 15 years.

On first look, this set of criteria seems to fit pretty well with the "dumber" offerings from Withings. They're slim, follow a rather minimalist design and come with varying amounts of "smarts"... Not sure about how automatic the time sync with the phone is, may require opening the app or something like that.

edit: specifically thinking of something like the Withings Steel (which seems to be an old model on the way out, sadly - their website only has the steel HR now).

Last edited:
I was trying to decide what to do with my spare Seiko SKX, and it turns out the answer was some light modding. With sloped low-profile bezels and Strapcode bracelets they've never looked more different, even with the same underlying case and dial layout.
P5060971.JPG

James May talks watches and even gives a shout out to Seiko's Spring Drive technology in that wonderfully technical way James May does in 00:16 in the video.

Unfortunately he was talking about Kinetic technology, not Spring Drive.

Yep my mistake he was referring to Kinetic.

Here's the original video explaining Quartz watches, an entertaining watch