Ownership Verified: My its_not_a_golf ev (2020 VW id3)

[QUOTE="narf”]
You can just go and look for the data yourself .

And rob you of the joy of looking it up? Surely not!
Also its kind of hard to compare since you never really run a battery until it’s empty so there’s tons of ‘little’ charges, which always means less than ideal measurements
[/QUOTE]
That's why I was looking at kWh/100km, not battery range.

Yesterday i went to a mall and had tried their own (thank for yet again a new app) 11kW chargers, and i had forgot the "half AC chargin speed" -option on and got like 37km/h speed....
So i did a test with the mode that halfs the AC-charging speed, i enabled aircon and guessed that the charging speed would be the same, since there was ~5,5kW left for aircon to use.

NOPE, it halved the charging speed yet again to ~16km/h XD.

Should have guessd that would happen.

I never understood why VW opted for km/hr since that is also dependant on consumption and not just the charging speed. Also doesn’t it automatically switch from km/hr to km/ min on a fast charger to further complicate things?

Just give us kW and estimated time until full, is it that hard? Mine doesn’t even show a % just a guesstimate based on previous consumption….

Dear VW, we’re not all 537 years old or dumb as nails…. Some of us understand EVs and just want to know the actual number ( like 37kw or 67% full). The data is there, hidden, so why not just inform us?

Dear VW, we’re not all 537 years old or dumb as nails…. Some of us understand EVs and just want to know the actual number ( like 37kw or 67% full). The data is there, hidden, so why not just inform us?

But the vast majority are. And manufacturers make cars for them.

Also, that you need many apps just to keep your car topped still strikes me as wrong, somehow.

I never understood why VW opted for km/hr since that is also dependant on consumption and not just the charging speed. Also doesn’t it automatically switch from km/hr to km/ min on a fast charger to further complicate things?

Just give us kW and estimated time until full, is it that hard? Mine doesn’t even show a % just a guesstimate based on previous consumption….

and while DC fast charging, they change it to km/min!

luckly one of the german yt that i follow had an app that uses obd to show the kw readouts, i shoud start to use that (when i find where i misplaced my obd-bt dongle).

Also, that you need many apps just to keep your car topped still strikes me as wrong, somehow.

yeah, its like having a fuel card that only works at that brand (i guess that is a thing with company fuel cards :unsure: ).

yeah, its like having a fuel card that only works at that brand (i guess that is a thing with company fuel cards :unsure: ).
Depends... most I've seen are multi-branded / partner-networked, for example my EuroShell will also work at OMV, Esso, and Avia... Q8 and F24 in Denmark, ST1 in Sweden, etc. - also at Shell ?

Charging companies saw an opportunity and took it, I guess. Do the apps have any redeeming features or is it just a form of payment?

But aren't you using kW instead of kWh to indicate battery charge? What are you, 536 years old ? ?

Charging companies saw an opportunity and took it, I guess. Do the apps have any redeeming features or is it just a form of payment?

The apps are mostly a payment, but you can start a charge with it if the screen of the charger is unusable (also if your friend needs a charge and you are on the other side of the planet, you can select the charger and start, just invoice the price to your friend).

But aren't you using kW instead of kWh to indicate battery charge? What are you, 536 years old ? ?
He is doing it right - 37 kW was the current charging power, 67% for current state of charge (energy) - this second one could indeed be expressed in kWh. I assume the car only show's some 4/6 bars or some bullshit with "current range = random bullshit number that's nothing to do with reality" guesstimation next to it... so 67% or 24 kWh could indeed be more valuable.
This is the way I run as well: Tesla gives you a choice of range vs. energy - so I've set it to energy so it'll show charging speed in kW (rather than km/h) and SOC in % (rather than km). That way at least I can mentally adjust my range expectation for driving style, temperature and such (rather than have some weird-ass number that's not even close to what'll happen in reality).

I've also set my car to show energy rather than range, much better. I don't know why this wouldn't be a standard choice.

9c9d404a06ba5196ecc48f8d230d56fe.jpg

Here’s what Im working with, 10 bars (which approximate to 10% each) and some random bullshit number of kms (which gets more accurate the emptier the battery is).

So 19% or 11% is the same bracket.
So yeah, 37 kw (charging speed) or 24 kwh (battery level) or 75% would be better…

10 bars (which approximate to 10% each)

That’s quite good actually… from a German old school manufacturer I’d expect much worse. Something like top bar is 30%, the rest spaced totally randomly because for some reason VW just know better ?

9c9d404a06ba5196ecc48f8d230d56fe.jpg

Here’s what Im working with, 10 bars (which approximate to 10% each) and some random bullshit number of kms (which gets more accurate the emptier the battery is).

So 19% or 11% is the same bracket.
So yeah, 37 kw (charging speed) or 24 kwh (battery level) or 75% would be better…

This is how the fancy new app shows me the range in km and battery level:

Screenshot_2021-05-07-19-49-19-119_com.volkswagen.weconnect.jpg

I found put that the same app works with the Golf (despite being unsupported) so now I finally have %! Only in the app, not the car, but still, progress!

409974b9ca46deff410c005da25824d8.jpg

I wonder how long it’ll take before someone at VW realizes this and makes it a paid feature.

And I dont have access to driving data, the windshield heaters, departure times, delayed charging etc…. But hey, percentages!

True. But as the info is in the car anyway, and they all have a digital screen, just make a ‘old bastard’ screen with ‘bullshit amount of kms until empty’ and pretty graphics, and another screen displaying ‘expert’ info like battery %, kwh used, kwh remaining, power used, power limit, etc

An update appears!

Passed a milestone (kmstone?) of 12345km while commuting:

It was an uneventful as my commute always is.

And after i got back home, i noticed that the HUD has turning off animation (looks like an explosion o_O ):

i don't know why it took me this long to notice....

And finally, i have scheduled 2.1 update for the car on monday, and as always its 2 day process, but after that my car finally has OTA-updates enabled.

Will update after the update.

So, it has been a week since the 2.1 update, and to be fair, i have not seen any "new things".

Sure the OTA-updates have been enabled now, but i haven't seen an update there yet. But will update the thread on this.

Other thing was the recall of washerfluid tank plug leaking, which they had a bag of parts to fix, and they did that at the same time.

When i got the car back, the service tech stated that since the 2.1 update did some changes they replaced the manual with a new one and had to put a sticker on the sunshade about the web connectivity collecting data.

They also gave me a packet of chocolate, which instead of giving me on hand at the counter, was left on the passanger seat.

This would have been fine, but since they plug the car to the 50kW charger at their location, it had collected a lot of sunlight.
It was nice and sunny day even....

So i put the box of chocolate to freezer at work to let the chocolate be solid again, and ejoyed it at evening shift ?

Had a id3pro as a rental, again it was grey (like last time), but now it had steelies ?.
As a rental spec (or finnspec :hmm:) it didn't have dual zone ac, HUD, glass roof, lane assit and reversing camera.
But it did have the same battery size and motor power as mine, so there is a plus!

Edit!
The lane keep assist + radar cruise was updated, so when i select on the dash the wide view of the cruise, on a motorway it shows the lanes (sometimes on a country road) and now notices the vehickles on different lanes.
Had to make mom take a pic while i was driving:

Last edited:
Another update,

a week ago i got a selection of error messages ranging from auto hold, to esp, to cameras, and car would not move, so i took my ch-r and went to work. I could have tried to wait the 15mins to maybe get the car moving, but the ch-r wasn't needed untill next morning (i had night shfit).

I have also passed 15k km.

see you on the next update!