Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I have about half a terabyte worth of video files I want to upload to OneDrive for Business. Several of these are 20-30 gigs or larger. My desktop only has a half-terabyte SSD so doesn’t have enough disk space to sync the entire folder. I used my Synology NAS to do the big upload. Problem is, the Synology sync app (that does google, dropbox, onedrive and all of that in one) seems to ignore files larger than 10 gigs or so. It seems the browser UI can’t handle large files either, it always fails after like 5-6 gigs or thereabouts.

I’m out of ideas here.

TIL I learnt about the long-press-1 shortcut. Let's see if I remember that, in contrast to the actual number of the mailbox (I hate the thing too so I refuse to save it into my contacts, but I need to have it set up because work phone).

TIL I learnt about the long-press-1 shortcut. Let's see if I remember that, in contrast to the actual number of the mailbox (I hate the thing too so I refuse to save it into my contacts, but I need to have it set up because work phone).
Nokias had a voice mail symbol on the 1 button all the way back in the mid 90’s.

As for my OneDrive conundrum, I found an FTP client that connects straight to OneDrive without any syncing.

Nokias had a voice mail symbol on the 1 button all the way back in the mid 90’s.
I honestly never understood that symbol as a voicemail symbol. "1" used to special characters when texting, I think. I found that symbol always a bit strange, but never saw that it's meant to look like a tape. ?
But I've never even set up my voicemail until three years ago or so - on the contrary, voicemail was the one thing I've used to disable first thing when getting a new cell phone contract.

My phone will transcribe voicemails to a lovely text message I can quickly read and decide whether a call back is warranted.
I'm a physician so voicemail is actually necessary for me; I have people calling from office phones that don't have the ability to send a text message.

giphy.gif

I need it because guys fixing my company’s equipment don’t deal with it often enough to really know it. So when they call they’re in a panic and give me “the burner won’t start, what’s wrong?” I need to have do what they’re paid to do and diagnose the problem and give me something that’s more than “my car won’t start.”

I need it because guys fixing my company’s equipment don’t deal with it often enough to really know it. So when they call they’re in a panic and give me “the burner won’t start, what’s wrong?” I need to have do what they’re paid to do and diagnose the problem and give me something that’s more than “my car won’t start.”

I get this one too, but they aren't smart enough to know why their timing system doesn't work and they never, never, ever, have a volt meter.

I get this one too, but they aren't smart enough to know why their timing system doesn't work and they never, never, ever, have a volt meter.

Volts and amps are witchcraft! Are you in league with Lucifer?

Burn him at the stake!

Volts and amps are witchcraft! Are you in league with Lucifer?

Burn him at the stake!

I know you are on my side here, so I'll pose a question. How do these folks expect help if they can't even tell me if they are getting the full 13-15 volts to a sensor?

I know you are on my side here, so I'll pose a question. How do these folks expect help if they can't even tell me if they are getting the full 13-15 volts to a sensor?

You can HELP by coming and reading the volts yourself, right?

It has always amazed me how little people understand the stuff they use everyday. I am not talking how an engine or a CPU work, just basic things. I had to teach almost every girlfriend how to change a tire. They always said the same thing, why can't I just call you to do it? I knew several people that came from states where you weren't allowed to pump your own gas that had no idea how to do it. A good friend of mine is a very skilled cook and had fancy mixer that quit during a power surge, he had no idea it had a built in circuit breaker.

And you would think that a professional anything would have some basic understanding and tools to see to basic maintenance. Whoops, there I go thinking again.

I almost forgot. The lawsuit between Apple and Epic got funny for a moment.

I knew several people that came from states where you weren't allowed to pump your own gas that had no idea how to do it.

I’ve always wondered if the no-pump states employ an army of people that come to your home whenever your lawn mower needs filling up.

:coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight::coplight:

If you know any children who have the Kik app installed. Get them to delete it straight away:

I love the DankPods YouTube channel! Well, at least I used to, until it stopped being about iPods.

Anyway, it's fun seeing those old iPods being upgraded and turned into something that's useable today. Well, if you need a dedicated offline music player that sounds reasonably good. But they are a fun hobby!

I love the DankPods YouTube channel! Well, at least I used to, until it stopped being about iPods.

Anyway, it's fun seeing those old iPods being upgraded and turned into something that's useable today. Well, if you need a dedicated offline music player that sounds reasonably good. But they are a fun hobby!
Yes, but I still love it though. It's fascinating how many tried to capitalize on the dedicated digital music player craze that was going on 20-10 years ago, so many iPod clones, and so much garbage.

He also reviews headphones, some of them as a joke, but I find it very entertaining with all of the Australian jokes...

My dad's Yugo's radio is currently disconnected because it was a suspect for battery drainage. Anyway, having no bluetooth speaker, I had to get creative, and came up with this:

1622715717652.png

Behold the work of a genius. No need to bother my dad's friend to help me reconnect the radio, better control of music, I'll just put the speakers and the powerbank on the rear shelf, and the phone to either the back seats or the front passenger seat (depending on the cable length), and voila! Oh, the best part? I could use my new phone as a WiFi hotspot and stream the music from the old phone!

Basically you have a whole ICE system there, you just don't need a head unit in a car now. I have a Bluetooth speaker to use in the Bobtail if I want tunes, I rarely do because I have to have it stupid loud but it's nice to have the option.

I did really like the 7" Alpine unit I had in Bugsy but it wasn't necessary.

Yeah, it turns out this isn't loud enough for the Yugo, and I also discovered my dad left his Bluetooth speaker at home, so I have access to it. Although this sounds better than the BT speaker, I'm not sure how long will it last on the cheap '20,000 mAh' powerbank (didn't test it out much today, discovered how to hook up the radio myself, it's just one connector that was unplugged), and it isn't as practical as a BT speaker.

Nevertheless, I am kinda proud of my improvisation. More so because I found an extension cord for the 3.5mm jack, so the phone could really be used as a head unit. Of course, it'd need some mounting system to work properly, and a splitter dongle so I could charge it while playing music, but this will do for now.

We used to have a box full of 3.5mm coupler cables at work from monitors we had purchased, I wish I had stashed more now before they were thrown away as they're always very useful.

I've been looking for a large display clock to have opposite from my bed for a little while, I'm pretty blind without my glasses on so it has to be big. I haven't found anything decent up to now, I was going to build my own but that failed when I ended up getting the wrong type of 7-segment LED (there are two - who knew?!).

I found this one anyway and it's ideal, however it makes a really annoying beep whenever you press any of the buttons on the back. The instructions mention a way of turning it off but those didn't work (surprise) so I took things into my own hands, opened the thing up and de-soldered the beeper. I could put it back if I need to claim on the warranty, I have a stock of these things.

I want it on a timer so it's off while I'm trying to get to sleep (having a clock disturbs me) and back on in the morning so I'm going to rig up a timer. Plug timers usually have quite loud relays (they have to handle a decent amount of current) and I want to run this off a multi-USB power supply so I'm going to make my own, using a remote control switch and Arduino. It'll hook up to the PC via serial and I can then set the on/off times using Windows tasks, same as I have for my disk control box.

Last edited: