Bicycles!

Rode 104 km in the last 7 days.

I believe that's a personal record, at least of my adult life.

3 30+ rides, and 2 short ones.

I don't think I'll be able to ride this much all summer long, but I'll try as much as possible.

IMG_20210519_1349529365cc512e4dc715.jpg

Anyone here ride with an emergency kit? Pictured below is mine (minus a quick link)… I feel like this kinda thing is also governed by the umbrella law: if you have it with you, you won’t need it. Knock on wood, throw some salt etc…

1621776589999.png

… no I’m not looking forward to ever having to use that tiny ass pump for 6+ bar :|

Anyone here ride with an emergency kit? Pictured below is mine (minus a quick link)… I feel like this kinda thing is also governed by the umbrella law: if you have it with you, you won’t need it. Knock on wood, throw some salt etc…

View attachment 3561225
… no I’m not looking forward to ever having to use that tiny ass pump for 6+ bar :|
I thought that was the law in .de?

I thought that was the law in .de?
huh? what law is that? to carry a spare tube, pump and tools? if so, everbody and their mums is in violation of that :p

edit: also, my shiny ADFC membership has some breakdown service included in it (which i won't rely on if I can help it) - would somehow be strange if that wasn't actually needed by law.

huh? what law is that? to carry a spare tube, pump and tools? if so, everbody and their mums is in violation of that :p

edit: also, my shiny ADFC membership has some breakdown service included in it (which i won't rely on if I can help it) - would somehow be strange if that wasn't actually needed by law.

I don’t know what the fuck is wrong with me this weekend....

My brain assumed this was car focused. :(

View attachment 3561225

Yep!

Mine currently has:
• spare tube
• tire levers
• patch kit
• CO2 cartridge
• mini pump + CO2 dispenser combo
• bike tool
• $20 bill inside bike tool
• a few disposable plastic gloves
• two surgical masks (pandemic addition)
• hand sanitizer (pandemic addition)

Yeah I should probably add a 20€ bill to mine as well - but then I should probably stuff it all in a proper little satchel or something. currently it's all just held together by that rather dodgy elastic that came with the tube. I've forgone the patches for now, because if I manage to get multiple flats, I feel I'm doomed anyway (and might as well call a cab).
Have you ever used the CO2-cartridge? I have exactly zero experience with those, but somehow I don't really feel comfortable with them - which mean's I'll end up pumping like a crazy person...

also those pandemic additions seem rather smart - i didn't even think of that, probably because I haven't done a multi-hour ride that'd allow me to stop somewhere where I'dever need the mask :|

I feel bad. Never even had as much as a spare tyre with me, let alone pump and other stuff. I’ve also never needed them except for 1 time (when I was nearly home anyway and just walked a couple of kms). Guess I’ve just been lucky?

I feel bad. Never even had as much as a spare tyre with me, let alone pump and other stuff. I’ve also never needed them except for 1 time (when I was nearly home anyway and just walked a couple of kms). Guess I’ve just been lucky?

Don’t worry, today was actually the first time I went out with that kit myself… been incredibly lucky myself as well.
Thought for me was mostly the above mentioned umbrella superstition.

Yeah I should probably add a 20€ bill to mine as well - but then I should probably stuff it all in a proper little satchel or something. currently it's all just held together by that rather dodgy elastic that came with the tube. I've forgone the patches for now, because if I manage to get multiple flats, I feel I'm doomed anyway (and might as well call a cab).

Yeah, I have it all in a nice tail bag on each bike. Aero!

Have you ever used the CO2-cartridge? I have exactly zero experience with those, but somehow I don't really feel comfortable with them - which mean's I'll end up pumping like a crazy person...

I've used the cartridge once, yes. There's no going back for me, the pump is there if CO2 isn't enough, and because it's tiny. But it'd also be a buttload of pumping…

also those pandemic additions seem rather smart - i didn't even think of that, probably because I haven't done a multi-hour ride that'd allow me to stop somewhere where I'dever need the mask :|

I've always worn a reusable mask more suitable for heavy breathing than surgical ones—these are just in case. I packed this stuff up last spring when I got the new bike an restarted riding, so it was motivated by the notably less knowledge and more paranoia about the virus, which really marked that time.

I never needed it until I did, just one time. I was about 9 miles from home, so I was glad for the relatively quick process of swapping on the new tube and CO2ing it up to get myself home.

I carry all sorts of stuff, what it is depends on the bike. Mostly the same stuff as you all, except, I carry a foldable limb saw. In case I need to cut a small tree out of the trail.

This is a Peak Craig™ comment. ?

I carry all sorts of stuff, what it is depends on the bike. Mostly the same stuff as you all, except, I carry a foldable limb saw. In case I need to cut a small tree out of the trail.

And here I was thinking a limb saw was to fix 127 Hours situations...

If I do bring a kit, it's only a spare tube, tyre levers, pump and a multitool.
On most das I just don't bring anything :D Because I'm never that far away from home I always have the 'call wife-taxi' option.
I used it a couple times hehe

@altoid yours seems like a bit of overkill though. But I get it, riding where you do I guess there are more potential dangers for tyres in the city.

I've barely had problems with flats for years. Then I kinda started riding more and more, so it became a problem more often. One or two a year maybe.

Same as @47 here, when I go on the road bike. For errand running on the trekking bike, nothing but a phone and some money for a bus or taxi ride home, but those I carry with me anyway.

Same here, that's sorta what worries me... I basically deserve a flat or two now :|
Gotta say, I've not yet had a problem with my continentals, only the Schwalbe Lugano tyres I got with the bike.
The Conti's give much better performance and are more resistant. I've ridden on gravel a few times, great tyres.
Ultra sport model, btw The first one, I think, there's US3 now

Oh yeah, while I'm here, I'll probably need a new bottom bracket, so yaay. ?

Same here, that's sorta what worries me... I basically deserve a flat or two now :|

I did 3k+ kms last year, mostly offroad so I should have logically had tons of flats. Did pull a large (10 cm) nail out of my son’s rear tyre a while back.

But thats something you can’t fix by the side of the road anyway…

Oh yeah, while I'm here, I'll probably need a new bottom bracket, so yaay. ?
ugh... have fun with that, best of luck. At least my bike doesn't run a press-fit bracket, so it doesn't start creaking in no time and makes changing it fairly easy. but still, i don't really look forward to having to change that thing.

with the wheels i have now (~ 1 yr) i am running fancy conti gp5000. I don't think they're necessarily very durable or anything... but hey, I'm gonna go with your experience and just assume conti good :D

But thats something you can’t fix by the side of the road anyway…
having watched an "emergency road side fixes" video by my trusty parts supplier, it is frankly insane what sort of stuff can actually be fixed by the side of the road if you know of the right bodge :p ... ofc I wouldn't trust the bike anymore for the rest of the way home after most of those, but that's a different story.