Los Angeles Auto Show: Chevrolet Suburban

Overheat

Forum Addict
la-motorshow-suburban.jpg
la-motorshow-suburban2.jpg

It's called the Suburban, but it's virtually the size of a whole metropolis: Chevrolet has launched its new-generation full-sized 4x4, - and it's a whopper.

The 2007 Suburban has a 130-inch (3,302mm) wheelbase; it has been uprated to give more precise handling, improved refinement and more power. A 5.3-litre V8 engine (320bhp) is the first option on offer, which features displacement-on-demand cylinder shutdown technology; a 6.0-litre V8 (355bhp) with the same fuel-saving device will be offered later, although in the meantime, a conventional 6.0 V8 (350bhp) is available. This huge SUV is capable of towing up to 3,674kg, even in two-wheel drive form, and the higher-powered 4WD Suburban 2500 can pull up to 4,400kg.

New features include standard stability control, seatbelt pretensioners and optional side curtain airbags, plus rollover sensors. There is a new rack-and-pinion steering set-up, new coil-over-shock front suspension and a redesigned front end structure, the latter for "improved vehicle to vehicle compatibility in the event of a frontal impact with a smaller vehicle." In other words, this Suburban is a little less likely to completely squash a little hatchback than its predecessor.

Further new equipment on offer includes tyre pressure monitoring, rain-sensing wipers, parking sensors and rear-view cameras, sat nav and DVD players; 20-inch alloy wheels are optional.

The Suburban, and its GMC Yukon XK counterpart, will go on sale in the US in the second quarter of this year. Chevrolet dealers in the UK and Europe may obtain Suburbans to special order and it is also likely that independent importers will bring a few in.

It's not really that large. You guys just think it is as you all drive 1 liter, 200lb cars. :p

Even so, the Suburban was always suppose to be big. Though I'd like to get one of the older ones with the 454....That's what they should do with this one. Make a Suburban SS and put the 454 into it. Or maybe Chevy's 720HP 502 crate engine...

...improved vehicle to vehicle compatibility in the event of a frontal impact with a smaller vehicle.

This just means it won't go over small vehicles but through.

This is kind of confusing as they still make the Suburban, its listed in the 2006 GM lineup.
LINK

and its still smaller then a Ford Excursion's 137.1 in wheelbase.

Bizness said:
and its still smaller then a Ford Excursion's 137.1 in wheelbase.

I hope no company will ever claim the term "car" for anything bigger than the Excursion (more like a 4x4 Minibus in my opinion).

No surprises on the Suburban, hope GM will still be able to sell some now that fuel consumption has become an issue in the US as well.

its huge, think about how big the Yukon XL will be...

the Yukon XL weighed a few hundred lbs more than the Suburban did. i just assumed it was bigger

Re: Los Angeles Auto Show: Chevrolet Suburban

Overheat said:
- and it's a whopper.

I have a feeling burger king had a say in this thing.

Cleary, GM is aiming very properly at a very specific market niche! :lol:

Re: Los Angeles Auto Show: Chevrolet Suburban

Lusitano said:
Overheat said:
- and it's a whopper.

I have a feeling burger king had a say in this thing.

Cleary, GM is aiming very properly at a very specific market niche! :lol:

Now you're thinking! Instead of cup-holders, they'll have KFC bucket holders, and refresher towlette dispensers. But that's only in the more expensive Bacon Deluxe model.

bartboy9891 said:
its huge, think about how big the Yukon XL will be...
Yukon XL is such a stupid American name :lol:
I can just imagine the TV add with this real American bloke with a deep voice and beer belly saying "Chevrolet Yukon XL". Sorry. Excuse me while I entertain myself.

Anyway, the Chevvy - I know crap all about these American "trucks" as they call it however, this one looks good. Dunno how they are in real life though. Doesn't seem to have left that much of an impression on you guys.

they're good cars, they serve their purpose, and have excellent drivetrains. All meant to safely haul and tow people and things around in comfort .

And the Yukon isnt under the Chevy nameplate, its under GMC ;)