Unverified Ownership 2005 Subaru Outback

SquareLeft

Car(s)
2019 Mazda6 Sport, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1961 Morgan
Since there's not much going on in my life right now except snow and ice, I thought I'd take a minute to introduce my latest purchase. I'll do an "Ownership Verified" photo after all this white, slick stuff goes away and I can run the new arrival through the car wash. I'd been looking for a 'winter beater' because I can't seem to get organized enough to get my trusty Jetta GLI back on the road. I stumbled across the 'new' Subie at one of those little car lots that specialize in selling cars with 'rebuilt' titles that they get from insurance auctions. When I read the ad for this one, I found it a little hard to believe. It's a 1-owner car with 133k miles and was 'loaded' with options - and I generally intensely dislike gadgets. But, I called the seller and he told me that the insurance company had 'totaled' the car because of a dent in the aluminum tailgate. I found this questionable, but I went to see it and took it for a test drive; wrote down the VIN and ran a CarFax. It came back clean except for 'severe damage' to the rear of the car. I've attached a photo of the back - if this is what an insurance company calls 'severe damage' today, they're looking for the easy way out!
In any case, I picked it up for $4,200 and have been driving the heck out of it! My body guy Steve has taken the Ford truck aluminum repair classes and says it's an easy fix. I also gave it one of my usual funky 'initial' license plates (half the price of a 'personalized' plate and even more fun, because the people following me have to solve the puzzle!). More anon...
Outback 2005.jpg

Very nice! This is honestly the best looking generation of Legacy/Outback, inside and out IMO.

Hmmm... looks like it could use an EJ257. That should fix the dent.