Unverified Ownership Summer car of 2022(ish), Mercedes CL 500 -02, Japanese of course

luokyio

Merc Maniac
Car(s)
CLS, CL, Scorpio
So the last Japan import (Soarer) was sold last week to a new happy owner. I was left with a JDM sized bunch of cash and an empty parking lot. I decided there is no rush, as the import process takes anyway three months, so this summer will be over before that. I have about 6 months to make a rational decision on what to do. That makes sense, right?

48 hours later I won this.

YADFsz2.jpg

nSCGzas.jpg

Z0JdWLc.jpg

O91gwWX.jpg

d7rwvoR.jpg

q7HENfW.jpg

Built in December 2001, delivered to Japan, CL 500. 66 000 km on the clock.

Inspection sheet 4 / B, and written notes:

2002 CL500
Grade 4
Automatic
Engine oil stains
Seat worn
Interior bit dirty
Trim scrtches
Wood parts small crack
Left fender replaced
Scratches, dents on the body
Front glass stone chips
Scratch and dent on front and rear bumber

Yeah, my S class was also LHD even though it was an original JDM. It was some sort of status thingie to order European luxory cars in LHD. Which is nice. Newer models have less and less LHD available anymore, but until about 2010 it is quite easy to find these.

More pics came. Dents in bumpers look a bit worse than I thought, so some fixing will be required. Other than that, looks pretty nice. ABC seems to be working well too, as it tries to be a SUV.

SU3hh1L.jpg

yjsKJyZ.jpg

wMJ5fKn.jpg

6xUPTPx.jpg

Vh1cGmQ.jpg

2kAyzDr.jpg

xLLNS4g.jpg

kHDca2y.jpg

WZfBdaa.jpg

PaPEyCa.jpg

U0HvEPM.jpg

2hlzSD2.jpg

nuhq7Hl.jpg

Gc8oXJs.jpg

7QuUBJK.jpg

R57l194.jpg

FSw0oUY.jpg

bX3eIlw.jpg

Didn't you only just get the Soa...huh? The rate at which you go through cars make my head spin..
It really feels like you spend more time awaiting their arrival than driving them!
I like the Benz though. Congrats.

Didn't you only just get the Soa...huh? The rate at which you go through cars make my head spin..
It really feels like you spend more time awaiting their arrival than driving them!
I like the Benz though. Congrats.
It was almost 18 months ago. Looong time. I even had it for over a year, which is a lot. And yeah, waiting part is the best part to be honest. Once they're done and registered, I lose interest and sell them (for a loss no less :D)

This body style has so grown on me over the years. I hope you have many happy miles! You absolutely got the correct color.

First parts, LHD headlights. They look so tiny on the car, but they are HUUUUGE. Wonder if they can fit any other cars to the same boat.

PgY9UGA.jpg

So someone badge engineered their CL500 to CL55? Some people have no shame. :D

Yeah, you spotted the first modification that will happen. Debadging. That is just embarrassing...

Congratulations on quick moves, next time real AMG V12 twin turbo...
Really common in Japania land. They love their badges, like really love, as badges gives you more hörspörs than stickers.

Meanwhile, in land of a free

Last edited:
Congratulations on quick moves, next time real AMG V12 twin turbo...

Really common in Japania land. They love their badges, like really love, as badges gives you more hörspörs than stickers.

Meanwhile, in land of a free
Thanks! I already said after the S 500 L that the next one will be AMG. But I wussied out and bought the sensible one. And no suitable AMGs were for sale at the moment.

Top speed is limited to 180 km/h as per Japanese legislation. This can be removed with a diagnostics system, but cannot be bothered as 180 is plenty. Another case if I'd take this to the autobahn, but that doesn't sound like a probable thing to happen.

The car still hasn't got its ship scheduled and no estimation yet on when it might leave Japan.. Annoying virus messes up everything.

Damn Covid makes this super slow too. Finally a shipping slot reserved. It will leave Yokohama port on 28th, and should arrive in the end of October. Just in time for winter. I'm pretty sure I will not be patient enough to store this until next summer, but instead will give it some rust prevention, throw winter tires in and enjoy the heat from V8 over the winter on good weather.

[youtube]

I always had a soft spot for these. Actually looked into these, but most had either the electric dampers or tons of rust....