The "Things that annoy me" thread

One of the supermarkets near me just got a new recycling machine where you just pour the contents in and let it figure everything out. This is very awesome. It doesn't do glass bottles though, which isn't awesome. Only plastic and aluminium cans.

It also has an Estonian language option which is nice now that travel isn't very advisable.

Workers in an articulated lift are painting my building at the moment. It's self-propelled with a diesel engine of some sort.

Every few minutes or so the diesel starts with a black cloud, goes BRRRRRRRRR for 15 seconds and shuts off again. Whenever they're doing it near my open window it smells like an old Mercedes in here for a while.

I understand they have to do their work, but I do feel like electric would be a better option for things like this. I also wonder how long the starter (or even the engine as a whole) lasts in one of these.

Workers in an articulated lift are painting my building at the moment. It's self-propelled with a diesel engine of some sort.

Every few minutes or so the diesel starts with a black cloud, goes BRRRRRRRRR for 15 seconds and shuts off again. Whenever they're doing it near my open window it smells like an old Mercedes in here for a while.

I understand they have to do their work, but I do feel like electric would be a better option for things like this. I also wonder how long the starter (or even the engine as a whole) lasts in one of these.

Thats odd, I can’t imagine the amount of dirty starts make any sense to just leaving the engine run. Generally here if those lifts are petroleum of some type, they’re just on until you turn it off, the Diesel engine will run a hydraulic pump so that always has to be available.

Sounds more like an air compressor, although I'd expect them to be using an airless paint sprayer for a big job like a building. :unsure:

Sounds more like an air compressor, although I'd expect them to be using an airless paint sprayer for a big job like a building. :unsure:

No, it’s a diesel engine, the engine that runs the lift the painters work out of. I’ve seen and smelled the dirty start countless times over the last weeks. They start and run it for anywhere between five and fifteen seconds every time they need to move to a new spot.

It’s also a miracle that running it for only seconds at a time doesn’t kill the battery.

And they’re painting with rollers, by the way.

2FD7C939-9533-4FE7-B788-015D9F3CF3AA.png

No, it’s a diesel engine, the engine that runs the lift the painters work out of. I’ve seen and smelled the dirty start countless times over the last weeks. They start and run it for anywhere between five and fifteen seconds every time they need to move to a new spot.

It’s also a miracle that running it for only seconds at a time doesn’t kill the battery.

And they’re painting with rollers, by the way.

View attachment 3561937
this is exactly what I was thinking of. I wonder if in eco-minded markets the engine doesn't stay running like they do here. You can even get those with battery power, I've worked with them before and I hate how dumb the controls are. You know how when a news reporter is off somewhere far from the station and they give that dead stare for a few seconds after the reporter in the studio stops talking? That's how those things work. I watched a guy run over his drill bit box and shouting "no no no!" as you hear the crunching of plastic. He thought he stopped driving the thing early enough, but no.

I wouldn't want a diesel engine running outside my kitchen window all day long either, so I guess starting and stopping the engine every time you need to move is the better option.

But this is one place where even mains power would work because it's readily available.

I just had the worst online shopping experience I've had since 1998. I found a decent deal on a tablet to replace my old one through the manufacturer's website. The site did not like my main browser, it kept hanging with a message: We are loading options based on your selection to help you. So I switched to an alternate browser. I get past that point and start the checkout process only to get an "Oops! Something happened" message three times. Get frustrated, close out the browser, and reopen it to find 4 items in my cart... Remove the extra 3 items and start entering payment info, everything seems to be going fine until the ending where it gives me a Timed Out message... I check my email to see if I have somehow lucked out and I did.

Seriously, this is 2021, what company that is tech related does such a shifty job on their website?

I just noticed today that the sidewalk outside my balcony is full of cigarette butts. Several days of chain smoking’s worth.

Apparently the guy above me (or likely his relative with a drinking problem that seems to be crashing at his place atm) likes to just flick his fags down onto the sidewalk when he’s done. Some people just like to live like pigs, I guess.

I have to say though that a previous tenant in the flat was a married couple with a drug addiction, and i’ll take a chain smoking slob over them every day.

Yes, I need a house.

That reminds me of the woman in the house next to mine who lets her dog piss on the grass right next to the door. Well, because the dog always pisses on the same spot, there's no grass left there. Just because that dumb cunt is too lazy to walk more than two metres. Well, this is no surprise. Everything about that woman screams white trash.

Walk your damn dog, you chose to get one, now deal with the circumstances or caring for living being...

I live near a set of "cheap" apartments (this is chicago suburbia afterall) and there's always characters that live in them. Theres one couple that's been there for a few years and have dogs. Well, in the summer they have their windows and I try to walk hank 2-3 times a day depending on my depressive state. Those dogs will see Hank my beagle and bark because that's what dogs do sometimes when they see something they like, or don't like. The people living there will yell so loud you hear their voices echo in the neighborhood telling the dogs to shut up. Maybe if you yourself didn't make the same loud noise like a bark, what do you think the dog will do? "Alright man, you're as riled up as I am!" They've also seemingly have relationship problems as I've heard a male voice yell out like a child would "shut up" multiple times...

I've been working as a 'reply to website-submitted and emails customer questions' support person for the la 5 weeks. I've now had 4 people use "I have depression"/"I'm depressed" to try to convince us to allow them to change their order, even though there are two separate "no change" messages between adding the custom item to their cart, and order placement, and even one in bold and red before you start the configurator.

Unrelated: The perfect storm between my height, the length of the handles on our re-useable shopping bags, and my arm length. Nearly every bag brushes on the ground when I carry them, unless I hold them in a partial bicep-curl position, or wrap the handles around my hand before closing my grip.

The perfect storm between my height, the length of the handles on our re-useable shopping bags, and my arm length. Nearly every bag brushes on the ground when I carry them, unless I hold them in a partial bicep-curl position, or wrap the handles around my hand before closing my grip.
I do sometimes wonder if that’s a special little “screw you” from the gods of human anatomy or if everyone has that problem with some of their bags.

That's why IKEA double-handle bags are awesome.

I was passed by a Rafale in the French Alps today, and realized I forgot to plug the dashcam back in after swapping cards 15m earlier ?‍♂️

Wow, that Rafale had to be flying loooow to pass you... :p

Sitting in a fast and low jet is one of two flying experiences I would love, but will almost certainly never have. The other is wingsuit flying.