The 'I don't like Tesla' Thread

What hump?

1622256372621.png

The roofline. It has a hump.

05EE8CE8-6D7D-408B-B4CE-7CA13AC2A21E.jpeg

Tesla twat in action:

Didn't take long for a fireball Plaid to appear:

The driver was initially not able to get out of the car because its electronic door system failed

Not good to see, not sure why they made such a point of the electric door release failing though as that's the exact reason why they have emergency releases. He may have only had the car for three days but should be familiar with where they are for, y'know, emergencies!

Not good to see, not sure why they made such a point of the electric door release failing though as that's the exact reason why they have emergency releases. He may have only had the car for three days but should be familiar with where they are for, y'know, emergencies!
Good thing every driver, renter, passenger, etc. always reads the full manual :roll:

Good thing every driver, renter, passenger, etc. always reads the full manual :roll:
to be brutally honest, if I don't stop passengers unfamiliar with the car, they're actually far more likely to use the emergency release (including loud warning noises and all the shit) than the actual intended door button :| the design is damn stupid.

to be brutally honest, if I don't stop passengers unfamiliar with the car, they're actually far more likely to use the emergency release (including loud warning noises and all the shit) than the actual intended door button :| the design is damn stupid.
If yours is a mechanical latch, I'd have expected the mechanical latch to also incorporate the button, ie all things that happen when the button is pushed also happen when the latch is pulled - as long as the car is fine, has power, etc.

If yours is a mechanical latch, I'd have expected the mechanical latch to also incorporate the button, ie all things that happen when the button is pushed also happen when the latch is pulled - as long as the car is fine, has power, etc.
That's a good point, all the button really does differently (as far as I can tell) is drop the window slightly. They warn about using it as it can cause damage but with power there's no reason why it should if it can release properly under power. Maybe there's a regulation saying that the manual release must be totally independent.

The front manual releases are easy to find, as in you'd have to be really unfamiliar with the car and not paying any attention to miss them. I've had people grab those too despite rarely having passengers.

Yeah that would've been smart... :|

That's a good point, all the button really does differently (as far as I can tell) is drop the window slightly. They warn about using it as it can cause damage but with power there's no reason why it should if it can release properly under power. Maybe there's a regulation saying that the manual release must be totally independent.

The front manual releases are easy to find, as in you'd have to be really unfamiliar with the car and not paying any attention to miss them. I've had people grab those too despite rarely having passengers.
Yeah, that was my point: they're actually easier to find than figure out the damn stupid button.

Also: if the car is under power, the window will actually drop just the same as with the button. The timing might be off, i.e. you could be quicker to open the door than the window drops, but apart from the physical latch being operated electronically, I actually don't see that big of a difference. Thing is, with the way teslas are built, I could imagine the wire operating the manual latch to just cleanly rip off after using it a few times.

Why on earth the door release has to be a button? Or, to say it better, why on earth should the physical latch be something that you cannot operate each and every time (even if you have the button to make it "futuristic")?

Tesla went witht he electronic door latch because it was cool, but the physical one is way, way, way safer.

My only point was that the news article made out that it was impossible to open the doors without power, which isn't true and it isn't difficult.

I can't think of a good reason beyond 'because they could' for buttons either, but the same point could apply to tailgate latches on cars made in the last 20 years, although it's less likely that someone would use the tailgate to escape. I'm not even sure I like the electronic door latch, it's just kind of there and I'm neutral about it.

That's a good point, all the button really does differently (as far as I can tell) is drop the window slightly.
Don't most pillarlessly door'd cars do that with the regular mechanical door release lever? I know all of mine do, with regular speed-of-pull the glass is down by the time the mechanical unlock is done, so the sensor/switch probably sits a bit earlier in the swinging movement of the lever.
For icy reasons I know you can open the Eos doors even if the window doesn't go down, but you shouldn't smash it shut in such a situation but rather carefully reintroduce the top of the glass back into its upside down U shaped seals.

Model 3, autopilot not on, but safety systems didn't work.

Review: A deep new history of Tesla takes the shine off Elon Musk​

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook and Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk are talking on the phone. The 2016 unveiling of the make-it-or-break-it Model 3 is coming soon, but Tesla is in serious financial trouble. Cook has an idea: Apple buys Tesla.

Musk is interested, but one condition: “I’m CEO.”

Sure, says Cook.

No, Musk says. Apple. Apple CEO.

“F— you” Cook says, and hangs up.

Your excerpt is unsubstantiated and has met with staunch denials by Musk, who argues that Tim refused to meet with him, and Tim Cook (allegedly, can't find a source for that one apart from "he said (when?)(where?) (why?)"). In fact, it seems the repeat of it that has gotten the most attention is linked back to the book and comes from the Daily Fail.

So once again:

I do love the Elon simps saying he should be Apple's CEO and that it seems the rest of the book does continue to point out that Tesla is chasing volume at the expense of quality and consistency, but this rather puts a huge question mark on any other new information that you could get from it.