Covid 19 CRISIS

This weekend, 80,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines will expire in Arkansas. There simply weren't enough people in the state willing to get their jab — even though cases and deaths from the delta variant are rising there at an alarming rate.

107,216 hondurans received a vaccine dose this weekend.

...Including me. Details to be shared on my standard Honduran update

If we talk about politicization of the pandemic, we are mostly talking about right-wing populist propaganda against vaccination, or a (assumed?) correlation between political leaning and vaccine uptake*. But I think there's more to it.

First, even bad people and bad politicians do a right thing now and then. For example, Trump's decision to dump hundreds of billions of dollars into vaccine development and production may just have literally saved the world. And I am also not fully convinced that all the flak Boris Johnson is currently getting is entirely justified - some of it, even and also from parts of the scientific community on twitter, clearly is fueled by (fully deserved and understandable) hatred for him as a person from the liberal side. All in all, both sides of the political divide value the source of an action or statement more than it's merits, which in fighting a pandemic will cost lives.

Then there of course is how politicization fucks us over in covid surveillance. It's super hard to get reliable readings on covid infections among unvaccinated people if a significant amount of those are covid deniers: As long as they don't show up in hospital, they won't get a test, which may make vaccines look worse than they are.

Also, from the politicization comes an imbalance in vaccine coverage: It falls too short to call Florida "50% vaccinated". In reality, the 50% who are vaccinated probably are not evenly distributed across Florida. Most of them will be the kind of people who followed covid precautions, masked up, and reduced contact before anyways: Above-average income, mostly white, mostly older, mostly center-left politically. These people like to live in their own bubble, only seldomly getting in touch with poor, hispanic, castro-hating republican voters except for the purpose of taco buying.
And the same applies to Germany, and probably most undervaxxed parts of the EU: Everyone I know, all my friends, my co-workers, the bartenders of the pubs I frequent, is vaccinated. If the virus is carried into our circle, even if one or two of us will get a breakthrough infection, it still won't be able to spread. But at 70-something percent of adults in Germany vaccinated, each circle like mine with 100% coverage means another circle with below-average or no coverage. And here the virus can spread freely, making "herd immunity thresholds" a joke that's missing a punchline.

*As depressing as it may be, I think we can take this as a given now - the less educated, the less white, and/or the more right leaning a person is, the lower the chance they will get a shot.

Last edited:
I had my first encounter with a genuine covid “sceptic” today. God, these people are exhausting!

Won’t stop talking, will quote a bunch of internet anecdotes, names some of Germany’s most universally disproven conspiracy fabulists as her sources, talks about the tewwibble, tewwibble risks of vaccinations… and all I could think of while being unable to get away from her was “How do I make this woman doubt her own convictions?”

1627959217067.png

As the press continues to focus on bad news, here's a minor tidbit from PHE's current vaccine surveillance report: The vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization is actually up by 3% with Delta compared to Alpha, see page 7: https://assets.publishing.service.g...376/Vaccine_surveillance_report_-_week_30.pdf

Also, according to the current Delta briefing, the secondary attack rate of Delta is down to 11%. Does this mean Delta is getting less infectious?
Probably not, it more likely means that with over 90% of people in England having antibodies through vaccination and infection, Delta simply runs out of people to infect, as reinfections still are incredibly rare.
Finally, about 12% of Delta cases are among those vaccinated. Given the amount of fully vaccinated people and the vaccine mixture in the UK being skewed towards the lower-efficacy AZ one, one would expect this share to be higher. This drives home my point about the uneven spread of vaccinated and unvaccinated people above, sadly.

Last edited:
6 weeks into Sydney lockdown. 262 new cases in the last 24 hours, and 5 deaths. 150 infectious in the community for all or part of their incubation period.
Govt are still blaming the under 40s for not being vaccinated, despite only being eligible for the last 2 weeks, and then only being about to get AstraZeneca appointments, because we don't have enough Pfizer. The only available Pfizer appointments are now stretching into November.
We have the lowest vaccine coverage in all of the OECD countries.

NSW premier was asked why the hardware stores and discount shops were still open, and not click and collect only.
Her response: “Next question”.

Last edited:
A Honduran COVID Update...this one surprised even myself. This one is very personal experience and may ramble for a bit. If you care but for plain numbers, those will be at the end. That being said, I believe sharing my experience may bring a new point of view or at least a chuckle.

The concept of a vaccine-a-thon is nothing new and certainly not invented in Honduras. I believe Peru was the one who came up with it in the region. The idea is that, instead of just opening vaccine centers and hope people show up, you make it into an event. And so it was that this past week the government announced a vaccine-a-thon in my city. where previously only people under the age of 50 unless they were journalists, of worked in transport could have access to it. This time it was anyone over the age of 35 that could go to one of five designated (and huuuge) centers. The largest one was on the national university, where a literal stadium was repurposed for both foot traffic and drive-through service.

The flip side of such an event is quite simple and obvious at first glance, it is literally a gigantic gathering, which means an enormous risk of infection. However, it seems the state deemed it an acceptable risk if it meant the inoculation of many people.

Below are some images so you can gauge the success of the initiative

1628140246444.png

1628140503801.png

1628140961595.png

Huge turnout for vaccines, despite sensationalist bullshit and extremely irritating whatsapp messages about vaccines doing whatever. By the afternoon of Saturday, the age was lowered to 30 and over. I kept watching it. Confirming that the people I give a shit about were going there. Sunday afternoon. I get a message. The age has been lowered to 28 and over. That was all the confirmation I needed. I grabbed my car, my sister (25) and her boyfriend (28) and we set off to the aforementioned location.

That queue you see in that Twitter video was the one we had to make and it was roughly that length when we arrived. I expected the usual fare of people cutting in line, shouting, rushing gates, you know, the sort of thing that makes me laugh wholeheartedly whenever someone gets shocked at first-world protests, but what I got instead was a perfectly ordered, normal, respectful three hour queue. everyone was behaving in accordance to the rules, respecting police officers and their instructions, and proceeding in an orderly fashion to get their vaccine.

It was uncanny. Very bizarre. I must admit I was taken aback by it. If my surprise seems exaggerated to you, you clearly haven't seen some of the links I have posted. :p Because I was in a queue, I even had time to ponder just exactly how could it be possible. The fatalist in me said that it was because anyone getting a vaccine has at least a couple of brain cells to rub together and therefore may be more aware of rules and common courtesy. This feeds into the flip side negative stereotype of course, and it is one that I do not care to reinforce. Then the realist in me said that it was probably because all entries into the building were heavily guarded with multiples of uniformed policemen and presumably a couple of plainclothes, but that never stopped these things either. I decided to turn my attention to the melodious sounds of Chrissy Amphlett and basking in the ordrung rather than try to piece out why It was there. inside the stadium itself, we noted there was a stage with live music, concessions, karaoke (which was awful). All part of making it an event I guess.

There was no sign of the queue getting any shorter we made it to the actual vaccination section (with, again, nary an incident on record). It was very nice. eight stations socially distanced with each of them taking care of two rows of cars derived from the main queue. Now came the hardest part for me, because I am rather a wuss when it comes to needles. Not that I needed to be this time. The woman who administered our shots must've had it down by a science when we showed up because nobody in the vehicle could feel a thing. We asked the staff if the vaccine aged had reduced once again. They asked my sisters age and, even though she answered truthfully, she got a vaccine as well. In as much as I can gather. The age had not been lowered to 25 and there hasn't been any piece of news or communication that said so. I can't complain, all of us got nice shots of Moderna, a vaccine card, and a nice little pamphlet elaborating on it and the side effects (soreness of the area, fatigue, etc.)

The staff was definitely feeling the strain though. There were some errors on the vaccine card that we were given. My card, for instance, has sis BF's phone number, which is just as well since he has my address on his. We're to receive a second dose on august the 28th according to it. As we drove away, we noted there was indeed a huge and not-socially distanced gathering outside the stadium. We didn't stick around if they were waiting for their turn. 10/10, would get vaccinated again.

So? did it work? Well, on a city of roughly 1.5 million people, the goal was to get 50,000 of the over 30s across five locations in two days of vaccination from 0700 to 2200. Seems a bit low. And it was, in the end 121,209 people ages 28 *wink* and up received a dose. This are government statistics so apply correcting factors as you see fit. even with my most cynical rounding I'm still looking at 100k+.

And the news just keeps getting better:

1628143356559.png

We're back to the nice, non-government charts. For the Spanish impaired, this shows that we have recieved a total of 4.5M vaccines and administered 2.1M of those. those are divided in 1.8M people who have received a single dose, and 296k with two doses. For those keeping track, this means that, as of August the second, we have administered 1,127,917 more doses. Or, to put it in marketing, more than doubled the people vaccinated.

Below a visualization of this in lovely graph form:

1628143801587.png

What this also means is that 25% of the population is now vaccinated (44% on my department/state/province, I am guessing higher in my city). Statistically speaking it means that if we continue at the current (unsustainable) rate. the entire population will have received a single dose in three and a half months, and two in six and a half). Honduras seems to be doing a great job at vaccines...and that is just as surprising as orderly queues.

This weekend, the vaccine-a-thon is going on tour. 65 locations across the country. We are desperately trying to burn through our vaccine stockpile, and I love it.

tl:dr: Vaccine good. No vaccine bad. I hate the new nanotech version of Windows 11 but I like the newest version of Minecraft...I wonder if melinda will keep my chip in the divorce.

But when is Karaoke any good? Not even a Kiwi singing German war songs improves it.

Meanwhile in Illinois....

1628175780708.png

I'm very glad the Covidiots didn't manage to sway the state mandate, despite them trying.

Meanwhile in Texas....

1628175822846.png

So while my state, IL, is implementing a mask mandate for all school kids, across the river in Missouri the AG feels a wee bit differently.

Basically he, despite not being any sort of medical expert or teacher, thinks that science is wrong and making kids wear masks is actually harmful. His evidence are a bunch of non existent "studies". He can go sit on a very large pineapple.

Our premier is saying the number will continue to increase, despite having the harshest lockdown in the country (It's not.)
E8Eba2DUcAA76sv

Not sure why we still bother with testing numbers, since for many poeople testing is mandatory a few times a week. Should really switch that to number of vaccinations administered in the last 24 hours, since they've all but given up on stopping the spread, and moved to gaslighting those who were unable to be vaccinated until very recently.

It's truly bad in Texas. One of Mom's cousins is in the hospital with it, and a couple of her vaccinated friends have had milder infections. I guess that's a thing now, and with so many people who are absolute idiots about this, I am genuinely worried about passing this along to someone else. Remember other people? Our state doesn't give a damn about common-sense measures that would force you to think of other people and not pass on whatever you've got to them. The Austin area's down to 16 ICU beds for the 11 counties in the area, which has 2.3 million people: https://www.austintexas.gov/news/ur...mber-staffed-icu-beds-reaches-critical-levels

Our waste-of-space governor refuses to allow cities and even public hospitals to mandate anything that could help curb the spread. Private hospitals seem to be mandating vaccines, which is good—it is a dereliction of your duty as a medical professional to ignore the fact that vaccines work and put your patients in danger accordingly. Schools are going back in session, though—in person, no mask mandate, and not even an incentive to do any contact tracing when students/staff get sick. That includes the giant public university near my house. One of our state reps went through the state's guidance for school reopenings and it's mind-boggling how anti-science and flat-out stupid it is:
More kids are going to die. Vaccines aren't available to the youngest folks yet AFAIK, and pediatric hospitalizations are way up. Our state's *mandated* inaction and piss-poor messaging is killing people, and it's going to be the most vulnerable folks around us who suffer instead of the "die for the economy"/"my freedumbs"/"fuck your feelings"/"don't believe the fake news" idiots.

I am so exhausted of the entire situation that I don't want to go home. I'm already in Germany for Ringmeet/Roadtrip, and holy hell, people in Stuttgart still mask up and generally respect your personal space from what I've experienced so far. Home is a nightmare that's only getting worse. Texans are literally being sacrificed for the "fReEdUmBs" of the lowest common denominator who still refuses to face facts and get the damn vaccine. All our garbage, cruel state government does is pander to the idiots. I'm tired of it.

I haven't had as pleasant a workday in ages as yesterday, where the only bad news about Texas (it's always bad lately!) that snuck through was at the end of the day, and it's that Austin's ICU is nearly full. That's they listed It's the worst part of working in social media—you can't log off. I can't take a break. I can't tune out the news that constantly appears on the sidebar of the websites I have to check all day to make sure everything is running well. And frankly, with no hope that things will improve and a complete vacuum of leadership that actually gives two craps about the well-being of Texans, I do not want to go home. Leaving Austin's airport was a garbage fire—no one seems to have ANY concept of personal space anymore. It feels like going straight into a disaster zone.

Close the border and strand me here, please. I'll figure it out. I'm honestly only there because Mom is, and after the past few years, it's become painfully obvious that Texas is a terrible fit unless things turn around for the better. I hate that. It's where I'm from. It's a gorgeous place. My friends are there. But my goodness, the idiots have taken over.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sad that the take up in former east bloc countries is so low, that they are selling on some of their unused allocation to other EU countries that can use it.

Six EU states overtake UK Covid vaccination rates as Britain’s rollout slows​

Malta, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Ireland overtake UK in fully jabbed percentages

Lockdown: How Australia's vaccine failures left us trapped by COVID-19​

Last edited: