Exploding Gigabyte Power Supplies

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Gigabyte GP-P750GM and GP-P850GM power supplies have an alarming tendency to go bang.

Gigabyte botched response:

I had considered a Gigabyte RTX card as they seem to be the only ones becoming available at a decent price. Yeah, nah. I'm definitely sticking with Corsair for PSUs.

I trust Gigabyte with motherboards...apparently, that's the one thing they can be trusted with. EVGA for graphics cards, Seasonic for PSU's, Crucial, Corsair, or G.Skill for RAM, and also Crucial for SSD's.

And always check the reviews ;)

Last edited:
I trust Gigabyte with motherboards...apparently, that's the one thing they can be trusted with. EVGA for graphics cards, Seasonic for PSU's, Crucial, Corsair, or G.Skill for RAM, and also Crucial for SSD's.

And always check the reviews ;)
Likewise, on my second Gigabyte mobo.

Have had issues with Asus and EVGA mobo's.

Basically Gigabyte have had since last October to sort this.

And the hits just keep on coming!

Let's see what they have to say this time.

Shit, now I am paranoid as to what power supply I used on my computer at home...

Yeah, when you hear about stuff exploding, or bursting into flames, you want to go check all the things!

And the hits just keep on coming!

Let's see what they have to say this time.
Must have found some outside the range Gigabyte gave

Shit, now I am paranoid as to what power supply I used on my computer at home...

Aris Mpitziopoulos's best picks are a good a start

Have experienced a PSU go bang. Killed by an Nvidia PSU killer. Made a good bang.

Problem is just with their PSU's, nothing to indicate anything else is a worry. Surprising since they are usually better than this.

Aris Mpitziopoulos's best picks are a good a start

Have experienced a PSU go bang. Killed by an Nvidia PSU killer. Made a good bang.

Problem is just with their PSU's, nothing to indicate anything else is a worry. Surprising since they are usually better than this.

The way the company handled things is a problem, a big one.

Kaboom!!!

Most companies don't make their own power supplies. Do we know who Gigabyte's OEM was on these? And is it the same OEM on the 750/850 (supposedly the only two with the issue...so far) as the rest of the line?

Most companies don't make their own power supplies. Do we know who Gigabyte's OEM was on these? And is it the same OEM on the 750/850 (supposedly the only two with the issue...so far) as the rest of the line?

I think its more a design fault, as the over power protection cannot do what its supposed to do. Getting a replacement of the same design would be a waste of time.

See this:

PSU Expert Aris Mpitziopoulos Responds to Gigabyte's Exploding PSU Problem​

GBT noticed, after our findings, that the platforms cannot withstand a 120%-150% OPP rating and decided to lower it. The problem is that 110%-120% OPP is impossible with analog controllers, which use resistors to adjust OPP. These resistors drift with temperature. In other words, their resistance changes according to the operating conditions, so it is impossible to achieve such a small OPP range under both cold and hot conditions. The only way to achieve a tightly set OPP is through digital circuits, an MCU.