Someone Else's Problem: The wait was long enough: leviathan's Tesla Model 3 Performance

150 mph in the 1/8th is meaningless to us euros. Is that ridiculously world record quick?

Why arent there 0-60 / 0-100 / 0-200 mph times that give us some perspective

150 mph in the 1/8th is meaningless to us euros. Is that ridiculously world record quick?

Why arent there 0-60 / 0-100 / 0-200 mph times that give us some perspective
Well, take this thread: The bonkers Model 3 Performance does about 150 km/h on the 1/8th mile. They're about 60% more bonkers, and it's not even a linear scale ... so way more bonkers.

Well, take this thread: The bonkers Model 3 Performance does about 150 km/h on the 1/8th mile. They're about 60% more bonkers, and it's not even a linear scale ... so way more bonkers.

This has been the most un-narf thing you ever said. “Way more bonkers” is nowhere near good enough. I need stats, details and preferably a graph.

Also, I have driven a Model 3 P and find it hard to imagine things more bonkers than that. Especially things that are road legal…

Yeah, about that... :roflmao:

I'm now picturing a TÜV Prüfer getting a heart attack if you roll up in a dragster. Nein Nein Nein!

This made me think of the Werner Beinhart sketch where he goes to the TUEV station and explains how his Wurstblinker works. :D

Ist das besser, ist das besser?!

Yeah, about that... :roflmao:

I'm now picturing a TÜV Prüfer getting a heart attack if you roll up in a dragster. Nein Nein Nein!
Oh, the stories I could tell about my race cars...which have plates. I think the dude who did the 411 just shrugged and was like, "Sure, whatever, it's from the '70s anyway." That was after the guy in for an inspection front of me brought a big handle of vodka into the office.

This has been a while. Not terribly much to report - car's been doing fine, no issues in the past year worth talking about.

Since last week the car now lives outside of my new apartment, right down under the bedroom window. I even installed a WiFi repeater in the room to get it into coverage - no need for hotspotting updates anymore.

camphoto_341603450.jpeg

Also in the picture - what happens when you go for carwash on a perfectly clear day with no predicted rain... of course immediately after you're back home it clouds over and begins raining -.-

In other news, today there was a new update for TeslaMate (the software I use for data logging with the car). It added a couple interesting data graphs, especially this one. 3 years of fast charge curves summarized:

Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 22.45.30.png

Looks pretty on point. The car charges at 250kW, even slightly above that up until about 30% SoC, then the curve goes down. Not sure about that one data point with almost 250kW at higher SoC - may have been a one-off charge at some point, not one of the recent ones for sure.

I'm still annoyed that I didn't get the funky glass coating on mine, it's so pretty.

And it's officially someone else's problem ^tm now - leasing is over, car is out of my hands. Last couple months it's been driven by a friend while I already enjoyed my new one.

Summary? No-one actually needs the 500 horsepower Performance version, but I'm very glad I went for it, for no other reason that I could :D It was an experience, and has conclusively decided for me that all my daily drivers from this point on will most likely be battery-electric, unless something even better comes along eventually. It had it's weaknesses (suspension comfort and noise insulation were... not great, 20" wheels too easily curbed and expensive af tires, somewhat electron-hungry at highway speeds compared to less powerful versions), but those are fairly minor issues massively overshadowed by how awesome a car it was. Hell, it convinced me to buy a second Model 3, something I never expected I'd do.

It's off now for someone else to keep enjoying, and Imma drive my blue RWD for the foreseeable future, until something really interesting shows up on the market.

I do wonder if all electric cars should have at least a highway gear…. I am aware some German brands do it, or is it only Porsche?

I do wonder if all electric cars should have at least a highway gear…. I am aware some German brands do it, or is it only Porsche?
Audi and Porsche, as it's basically the same drivetrain. I think they're the only ones. From my understanding it's a bit pointless and just leads to more losses to friction.

You're turning the motor more slowly and saving some friction losses in there, but you still need the same amount of energy to keep the car moving at speed. By rights you should be wasting more energy turning the gears, you might get a benefit in acceleration and cabin noise by having the 2 speed though. ICE engines are least wasteful at highway speeds so it seems like EVs should have an equivalent, they don't really.

Oh yeah and it’s an extra service item or something to go wrong too, ideal for earning VAG more money when the car goes for a service.

Gearing is not a problem, the Porsche and Audi geartrains are not for better highway efficiency but for better down-low acceleration. Tesla is geared perfectly for the motor, it's running as efficiently as possible - but aero losses compound to much more visible consumption numbers than with ICEs, where they are somewhat lost in the overall inefficiency of the fuel-engine-transmission-movement energy chain.