The "Things that annoy me" thread

Parcel carriers, and the hubs they use sometimes
8/17: Shipped a package to a location 35 miles away.
  • Package is dropped off at San Francisco post office 8/17
  • Package is sent to Los Angeles hub 8/19
  • Package then comes back to the San Francisco regional hub 8/20
  • Package leaves San Francisco hub 8/21
  • Package arrives at destination city post office 8/22
  • Then is finally out for delivery today, 8/23
It was something we sold on Etsy, and charged the customer shipping...my travel time, bridge toll, and fuel cost wouldn't have been worth saving any of that shipping back-and-forth, despite the person at the post office questioning why I was shipping package such a short distance. :rolleyes:

8/18: Shipped a package from California to Michigan, 2,367 miles away
  • Package is dropped off at San Francisco post office 8/18
  • Arrives in Detroit regional hub 8/19
  • Delivered to destination city post office 8/20
  • Delivered to recipient 8/20
Both were sent USPS Parcel Select Ground

I ordered a book for school, and it was shipped Media Mail. It shipped from San Francisco. It went from their post office to the SF airport. I live so close to the airport, my home has sound-rated windows that the airport/county had to pay for back in the 90s. Then it went down to Los Angeles, hung out there for 2 days, Came back up to the San Francisco regional hub, then got sent to a local post office in a city 5 cities to the south of me, then delivered to me 2 days later.

wait-what-james-franco.gif

Minor annoyance here: customs declaration service by Deutsche Post / DHL. Had subverting shipped from the US. No customs form ofc. I then booked the DPDHL customs declaration service, which is expensive (!), because I thought well, no local customs office is quite far away and won’t want me to visit for that declaration because of rona anyway. I figured since DPDHL probably process thousands of these things every day, they’d privat be quick and uncomplicated about this.
Anyway, timeline as follows:
24. June: package handed over to DPDHL by customs.
Until 7. July: package running in circles at FRA airport.
No movement since then.
Today, I asked about the package again, after being told they’d have to investigate. According to their tracking the damn thing hasn’t moved in six week ffs, after being driven in circles for two weeks… and the actual customs declaration and processing taking all of two days! ?

Could that be because the SF USPS hubs are at capacity and have to farm out sorting to other locations? :unsure: Trump’s legacy is going to hurt the post office for a long time AFAIK.

Perhaps. Actually, my local post office is technically even in the airport grounds, but is technically a separate office/location than the "hub". This specific office is closing soon. The US Postmaster General's office has declined to renew the lease. Which means I'll need to go to the post office that is already too small and overwhelmed. Going to that other post office currently means waiting as much as 30 minutes blocking traffic as cars line up for the too-small parking lot, and where there are zero available PO boxes. In tax day, all of the outside mailboxes were jam packed/stuffed with envelopes, so full they set out open-topped, 40 gal Rubbermaid trash cans bungie-corded to the mailbox posts for the overflow.

My algebra book only has "selected" answers in the back of the book. Not all of them. I only got one wrong, and I can't figure out how/why, and it's one of the answers NOT in the back of the book. And annoyingly, the actual expression on my online homework is slightly different than what's printed in the book, or the online version of the book...so i don't actually know if what I got wrong was really wrong, or an error. :wall:

Last edited:
I had to set up my iPhone from scratch because I had forgotten why I hadn’t put iOS betas on it anymore: all the mobile banking stuff only works with release versions, not betas. :wall:

It was possible to replace iOS 15 with 14.7.1, but several essentials no longer worked properly, such as the app store. Yesterday, I noticed that my music wasn’t getting copied to the phone during sync and that was the final straw.

Several hours later and I’ve got a fully functioning phone and have run out of things to set up, at least for the moment. I just hope that this has also fixed any issues that have arisen during several years of restoring settings and content after replacing the phone.

I did something to my left hand that the wrist knuckle hurts if I exert it by lifting stuff. Today I was at my brothers house with my dad helping build a deck and some computer-y shit. I crushed my middle finger over the nail by dropping a board on it which makes grabbing things or shifting gears a little hurt-y.

I did something to my left hand that the wrist knuckle hurts if I exert it by lifting stuff. Today I was at my brothers house with my dad helping build a deck and some computer-y shit. I crushed my middle finger over the nail by dropping a board on it which makes grabbing things or shifting gears a little hurt-y.

Stop the self abuse! It is really bad for you.

Stop the self abuse! It is really bad for you.

It's tradition over Labor Day weekend! In 2015, I tried blowing my hand off with an old bolt action rifle. :D

Round loaves of bread, and their uneven slice widths.

Round loaves of bread, and their uneven slice widths.

Oh yes! Especially when someone take out a slice in the middle and you end up with 2 slices that are adjacent but don’t line up.

Oh yes! Especially when someone take out a slice in the middle and you end up with 2 slices that are adjacent but don’t line up.

See, I actually start in the middle, so that when the two halves come back together, there's no exposed "cut" face area to dry out like there would be if you started from the end (even if you leave the "heel" behind, it'll always be too small to cover the whole next slice).

Everyone in the country must be watching youtube right now, because I can only load 5-6 seconds of a video at a time, so it's taken nearly an hour to watch a few minutes of a 16 minute video. Everything else is fine, so it's a site specific thing, not my internets

Cell broadcasting emergency messages that come through four times in just a few minutes are FUCKING annoying! Particularly when they’re not about something like a tornado, but about a bear taking a stroll through the other end of town.

Was it Yogi?

Actually, yes (in a way). I’m in bear country in Romania where they used to feed the wild bears so that Ceaușescu would have more of them to shoot for trophies. Which has resulted in a still unnaturally large population that isn’t too unfamiliar with humans and their food.

Yes, I’m driving a rented Dacia (Logan, not Sandero) and certainly intend to take it on that road. ;)

When I was a kid, we would go see the bears eat at the dump in the U.P.. it is a practice that was ceased a long time ago (yes, I am that old!) because it caused similar problems.

Yes, that was seen as cheap entertainment.