Covid 19 CRISIS

I haven't found any English-language source for this, but... in Germany some nutjob just murdered a fuel station attendant because the attendant refused to sell him beer due to him not wearing a mask. So the nutjob left, went home, took (one of) the gun(s) he illegally possessed, returned to the fuel station, and shot the cashier in the head.
The killer basically confessed already that this was his motive.

I haven't found any English-language source for this, but... in Germany some nutjob just murdered a fuel station attendant because the attendant refused to sell him beer due to him not wearing a mask. So the nutjob left, went home, took (one of) the gun(s) he illegally possessed, returned to the fuel station, and shot the cashier in the head.
The killer basically confessed already that this was his motive.

yeah

May 19, 2020

well none really seemed appropriate but to acknowledge

“Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.”

It rings as true today as it has since it was said.
A lot of countries have democracy without being the US. See - most of Europe.

I should know, the quote is British :p

I find that, as ever, the problems experienced by the US are indeed found elsewhere. The US just has them extremely well publicized and heard around the world. Just see the literal nazis on your former home country, or antivaxxers doing rounds in front of the former BBC homebase, and see them being generally a footnote in the world stage in politics because the US president was having a sandwich with mustard or playing golf or something.

Isn't this a thread about COVID?

I find myself in much a strange position about this, because with the vaccine out, we're now mostly rubbernecking at the unvaccinated and the idiots trying to make more of them.
My newspapers of preference seem to consider that COVID is no longer making enough dead people to be front and center. Their "hard hitting" piece about COVID killing one person an hour (That's about 700 people a month for those more bored with math) was buried on the middle pages that even people who still read the papers generally skip.

This has got to stop!

Indeed. For context, the population back then was about 1/4 as it is now, so the 1918 still had a 4x bigger impact.
True, but it's sad that there's that much death despite a century's worth of medical advances. People are stupid.

That story from GRTak makes me so angry, especially since things like that keep happening with more and more frequency. That other countries have stupid people is one thing, but that doesn't make what's happening here any less of an issue. There sure are a lot of dangerously stupid people here and I'm tired of us glossing over the worst of it as mere "political differences" or otherwise giving them space to let their stupidity run wild until folks lash out in violence.

It's exhausting sharing space with these yahoos. I don't even know how this country even gets its collective crap back together from this point given how long we DIDN'T have a friggin' grownup in charge, and how many states like mine still don't. There's too many people who validate that toxic, conspiracy-laden thinking who are in positions of authority, too many people willing to abandon all credibility to maintain their audience or lure these idiots into voting for them, and even the sane folks out there seem to be either powerless or unwilling at this point to try and slap some friggin' sense into the anti-reality set. It's feels like screaming into the void with these people.

Indeed. For context, the population back then was about 1/4 as it is now, so the 1918 still had a 4x bigger impact.
Today's pandemic isn't over though, 1918's numbers are in as good as we can estimate them. Most of the 2k daily deaths happening in the US are entirely avoidable ? in 1918 they didn't have that option at all.

I just saw a FB post by our local village idcovid denier, that also runs a side hustle doing climate change denial. He dislikes our local newspaper because they don't publish any "alternative truths".

What's an alternative truth? That Helsinki is the capital of Botswana?

It feels like getting the Truthiness out to the people. Where will we be without the Truthiness?

I just saw a FB post by our local village idcovid denier, that also runs a side hustle doing climate change denial. He dislikes our local newspaper because they don't publish any "alternative truths".

What's an alternative truth? That Helsinki is the capital of Botswana?
That Facebook thinks his account is worth keeping.

Also, good on your local newspaper. They don't have to print (and therefore legitimize) ignorance. This isn't a both sides issue. We're a case study in how far off the rails things get when people both-sides this and I gotta say, it's not gone well!

That Facebook thinks his account is worth keeping.

Also, good on your local newspaper. They don't have to print (and therefore legitimize) ignorance. This isn't a both sides issue. We're a case study in how far off the rails things get when people both-sides this and I gotta say, it's not gone well!

He’s one of those people that maintains a backup account because FB keeps suspending his normal one every now and then.

Indeed - there's a shocking amount of people in "the media" that still won't recognize that this is a problem:
img_0777.jpg

Translation:
Reality
scientific consensus
"balanced" representation in mediaperception in the general public
dissenting opinion

He’s one of those people that maintains a backup account because FB keeps suspending his normal one every now and then.
lmao of course

The only people with "backup accounts" I follow are scantily-clad goth girls on Instagram. Much more wholesome than covid denialism.

The only people with "backup accounts" I follow are scantily-clad goth girls on Instagram. Much more wholesome than covid denialism.

I don't follow him, I just take a peek at his page every time I feel like my blood pressure is too low.